A-4Q Skyhawk, 1/72 Airfix, Falklands War 1982

Here`s new model for my "Falklands War collection" - 1/72 A-4Q Skyhawk of Argentine Naval Aviation, code 3-A-305 (ex-US Navy A4D-2 serial 144929), Rio Grande air base, Falklands War, May 1982.

Built of Airfix` kit A03029, which seems to be a quite nice kit, but requires a lot of work because of terrible and stupid errors (worst of them is bad nose angle). I think that old Fujimi from 1980`s is still much better than Airfix from 2012.

I`ve used PE parts from Eduard, resin fuel tanks from Brengun, resin ejection seat from Pavla and decals from Condor Decals and DP Casper. Some scratch building was required (like Argentine antennas, guns etc.). Four Mk. 82 Snakeye bombs and MER are from Hasegawa`s 35001 set. You can see whole proccess of building here (in Polish):

https://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=851&t=87504

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 56

18 minutes ago, noelh said:

Perhaps you could give us some details of the problem with the nose? I wasn't aware it was inaccurate. 

I`ve realized that nose is uncorrect after gluing the halves of the fuselage. It`s going too much down and is too flat underside. It`s more like nose of "C" version in shape, but lenght is accurate for "B" version. You can see all my corrections here:

https://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=851&t=87504

Edited by alex_stela
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello Alex,

Excellent job on this ANA Skyhawk. I also checked your website and could read that lots of items were changed to make it right.

Argentine Air Force and Naval Aviation surprised many (international) analysts during the Falkland war.

Proud and daring they carried out their orders, I have deep respect for both Forces (UK/ARG)during the Malvinas/Falkland conflict..

Long sorties, underway refueling by C-130 tanker, seated in a very small cockpit and the Royal Navy Sea Harrier waiting for them in the end.

Your model represents this (sad) war. They look and were very weathered. Making more sorties per day, flown sometimes by different pilots on one day.

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

:analintruder: 3-A-305 was my uncle's mount when attacking and sinking HMS Ardent on May the 21st, 1982.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:09 AM, alex_stela said:

It`s more like nose of "C" version in shape, but lenght is accurate for "B" version.

You know this is what modellers building the 1/48 Hasegawa A-4B kits have never understand me saying. The kit nose looks WAY too stubby for my taste, and it's like one is to modify and lengthen it in order for it to look like in the real aircraft.

This is how the Hasegawa nose piece compares to that in the plans you used to your mod.

spacer.png

Y'see...?  It's as though you needed not only to lengthen it 4-some milimetres but also turn it upwards a couple of degrees.

And what it's more, if you ever looked to the Hobbycraft 1/48 A-4B kit, you'll see that the nose is spot on - were it not for that awful windshield/canopy in it.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Unc2 

Beautiful build. I agree with you - the Fujimi kits from the 1970's and 1980's were way ahead of their time in terms of quality, especially regarding the fine recessed panel lines and beautiful molding. I've read many reviews stating that Fujimi's British Phantoms are superior to Airfix's recent effort.