How does one get to a 1/48 Spitfire F. Mk XVIII?

Brad-M

I am looking at adding a 1/48 Spitfire F. Mk XVIII and I was wondering what the options I have in plastic form?

Thanks

Brad

Edited by Brad-M
typo

24 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

I am looking at adding a 1/48 Spitfire Mk XVIII and I was wondering what the options I have in plastic form?

Thanks

Brad

The best starting point is the new Airfix FR.XIVe

It has the large fin and rudder for a start. I believe the only other needed external mods would be deleting and scribing some panel lines on the wings. There was also a Falcon Vacform conversion for the old Otaki Mk.VIII but that would be a lot of work.

Stay on this forum and scroll down to Spitfire XVIII wing again and further down to 1/48 Spitfire  XIV for discussion, diagrams, and photos that should pretty much answer all your questions. Not  my scale, but from what I have read, the new-tool 1/48 Airfix XIV already has the main parts you need do do one. It's a very easy conversion using that kit.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

1 hour ago, Brad-M said:

I am looking at adding a 1/48 Spitfire Mk XVIII and I was wondering what the options I have in plastic form?

Thanks

Brad

The easiest and most accurate is a conversion of the new Airfix FR.XIV

as the other poster have mentioned. you need to fill and rescribe a few wing panel lines, as they re-did the outer wing panelling, getting rid of the gun doors, and then adding a panel in the upper wing where the ammo boxes were, for survival equipment

More detail here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014550-spitfire-mkxviii-mk18-photos-of-wing-panelling-differences-confirmed/

And, then do you want an F.18, or a FR 18, as the FR 18 has two camera openings under the fuselage, AFAIK, standard PR Spitfire layout.

Quickboost do a set for a PR XI

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48146

but you only need a part of it, you can use the underside of the Airfix PR XIX as a guide.  

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

The best starting point is the new Airfix FR.XIVe

It has the large fin and rudder for a start. I believe the only other needed external mods would be deleting and scribing some panel lines on the wings. There was also a Falcon Vacform conversion for the old Otaki Mk.VIII but that would be a lot of work.

The Falcon vacform is a full kit, not a conversion.  Fine raised panelines too. 

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/cleaverspit18.htm

Falcon did a long time ago Mk.XIV fuselage to use with (probably) Otaki wings,  the IIRC it was intended for the Monogram IX!  

and for completeness, there is the Academy FR XIV kit,  which requires a load of surgery to make it not look bloated..

HTH

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If money was no object, could you cut out the bottom camera section from an Airfix PrXIX and use it to replace the similar area in the XIV?  Do both match up (which they should do) if anyone has tried?  

I have the old AeroClub FR18 fuselage, which is now a bit superfluous, but I may use it for an FR18 and I was thinking of a airFix Spitfire XIX Wing rescribed to an e wing (adding aeroclub cannon blisters)  with the vertical camera ports already in place.  That may well be much easier to write than to do!

Also, whilst on the topic, has anyone got plans of the mudguard plates (poor term I apologise) that slide over the glass covers on the bottom apertures for the cameras.  I have seen these referred too, but no current pictures of the BBMF XIX ever seems to show them in place. Perhaps they were only fitted to FR18s?  

Its a pity the Spitfire 18 disappeared from the RAF Museum, I did try to get a beneath photo a couple of years ago, but an attendant turned up inopportunately and didn't see it as a good idea.

9 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Its a pity the Spitfire 18 disappeared from the RAF Museum, I did try to get a beneath photo a couple of years ago, but an attendant turned up inopportunately and didn't see it as a good idea.

??? What Spitfire XVIII are you referring to? News to me.

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

??? What Spitfire XVIII are you referring to? News to me.

they had a low back Mk.XIV there in 2016, not there when. I went this year though. Now at Cosford? 

Wow- wonder why they went to the expense and risk to send a static already restored airplane across the pond. Maybe Pima sent something of theirs back in return- maybe the Gannet? Too bad she's not an XVIIIe! That being said- somebody scoot over there and shoot some serious detail photos; undercart/wheel bays, radiators, fin/rudder/z-tab, cylinder head fairings/exhaust, prop/spinner, outer wing panels... you get the idea! BTW, thanks for sharing the photo and the link!

Mike

On 30/06/2019 at 11:55, Olmec Head said:

If money was no object, could you cut out the bottom camera section from an Airfix PrXIX and use it to replace the similar area in the XIV?  Do both match up (which they should do) if anyone has tried?  

Dig out an Airfix PR XIX, I just did.   

You need to drill two holes in the underbelly,  if you want to match up the XIX kit, then you need some collars, (look at kit camera ports)  but using a XIX for that bit seems over the top. 

Bear in  mind unless you display on a mirror base, or regularly turn your model over, adding fine detail maybe a waste of effort.

As with many kit fixes, try the simple one, in the case, using the PR XIX as a guide, drilling some holes, and glazing them.   If that fails, cut up a XIX,  but that assumes that bit will fit the new kit,  and subsequent making good.... 

On 30/06/2019 at 11:55, Olmec Head said:

I have the old AeroClub FR18 fuselage, which is now a bit superfluous, but I may use it for an FR18 and I was thinking of a airFix Spitfire XIX Wing rescribed to an e wing (adding aeroclub cannon blisters)  with the vertical camera ports already in place.  That may well be much easier to write than to do!

Again, why do the wing, there are plenty of wing donors, the ICM kit can be got very cheaply,  and the ideal donor is the Hasegawa IX, it has a too slim/short fuselage, and a decent wing etc, and is IIRC mentioned as a donor.   I have the Aeroclub 18 conversion, but not to hand.  

The Hase IX was also reboxed by Revell as a IX/XVI kit, and can be got reasonably cheaply if you look.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04554-supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-xvi--103969

If your skills run to cross kitting and rescribing, and adding blisters to a XIX wing,  I suggest that drilling some holes may well be easier.  Note, if you want an Mk.18,  you don't want an e wing anyway,  it has it's own unique panel layout. 

see here 

Given Aeroclub's status,  legendary and no longer producing,  you may find that the conversion is now 'collectable' and perhaps worth selling as is. 

Your model(s) and your choices, just adding some suggestions. 

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I only have 1 PR XIX, so that will stay as is.

Cheers and Happy Canada Day!

Brad

• Like 1

One should also model the filler pipe for the fuel tank(s) situated behind the cockpit. The rectangular opening by the headrest on MT847 above shows where that filler should be located (though the pipe itself is missing), but the installation was the same as on the Mk 24. Here's a decent starting point for photos of that. http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/supermarine-spitfire-f-mk-24-in-detail/. Worth noting that XVIIIs only got the big rudder after they were produced, sometime around 1946. There are several photos of new XVIIIs with the earlier Mk XIV/XIX type rudder, e.g.:

2b2cc9c5-fed2-4eb2-b888-23a4640c05bf.jpg

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Thanks 1

A bit OT, but the number of recent threads about converting the Airfix Spitfire XIV into a Mk.XVIII seems to indicate that this variant is quite popular. A bit surprising since the XVIII didn't see action in WW2 but understandable considering the good postwar service and the number of interesting markings carried.

Maybe Airfix should have issued a Mk.XVIII from the start...

• Like 1

Justin,

Some XVIII did get the larger rudder during production. In SAM Publications The Supermarine Spitfire Part 2: Griffon-Powered (Robert Humphreys) p.167-169, there are pictures of MK.XVIII production at Keevil. They have all the larger rudder. Unfortunately the serials have not yet been painted onto the aircraft.

(most are painted with black spinners and sky fuselage band)

The fuel filler is included in the kit, part no D24.

When I lived in Urbana-Champaign, IL in the '90s this Frasca-owned Mk.18 used to fly over regularly.

1024px-Spitfire_TP280_at_2006_Oshkosh_Ai

It's since been sold on and I'm not sure where it is now. I could always tell when it was flying in the pattern just from the sound. It was something to behold.

• Like 1

WIP, thanks for the link! On page two there is quite a lot of pics, a few show the Mk.18 wing, topsides anyway. The panel lines and hatches can be seen, even if the gun bulges for the Hispanos have been removed.

The fuselage filler can be clearly seen as well.

One thing missing/differing from the kit is a second, headrest armor plate behind the pilot. The roll-over bar is then a plate with holes. These have been seen on in service Mk.XVIII (208 sq in Palestine/Egypt) See below for details.

I have noted this arrangement on some but not all XVIII as well as some FR.XIVe. It is faithfully reproduced in the old Cooper Detail CD4815 Spitfire 22/Seafire 47 cockpit set.

Edited by Tomas Enerdal

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

I have earlier probed around regarding the possible presence of a fuselage mounted downward identification lamp on FR.XVIII.

Linescriber has just helped us with pics from the Indian AF museum.

Now we know what it lookes like, thanks!

Edited by Tomas Enerdal