Valom 1/72 F-101A Voodoo 81st TFW

Another kit completed due to having many kits on the go. This to add to my collection of USAFE aircraft is the Valom kit which takes a lot of care and attention. The red, yellow and blue were all sprayed as Valom only provide decals for the fin. The stars came from Fantasy Printshop and the black stars l did myself. The cockpit came from a Revell F-101B which l chopped in half and the ejection seat from True Detail and the wheels were also aftermarket from Armory . The aluminium was various shades of Vallejo Metal Colour.

smDSCN3136

smDSCN3137

smDSCN3140

smDSCN3142

smDSCN3133

smDSCN3135

smDSCN3138

smDSCN3139

TIA

Robert

Edited by Robert
  • Like 39

@Robert Its great to see a different Valom Voodoo build on the forum, Robert  :). Very nice. My next one is heading for the paint shop at the moment :). The Valom kit needs new nosewheel doors, with the triangular cross section. Like you I used Armoury wheels but I cut up a resin F-101B cockpit and used a Pavla seat. The seat, by the way, needs to be much higher as it almost touched the inside of the canopy. Valom also don't tell you that the A-model didn't have the rear fin-tip light.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Love the Voodoo and what a lovely build. Would love to have seen them in operational service. Apart from Coventry’s preserved example I think the only other one I’ve ever seen was an ex Davis Montham aircraft Alconbury acquired in the mid 80’s for BDRT - superb build again.

Lovely job there. Can't have too many Voodoos.

As Martin says, the kit is a hybrid. It's actually an 'A' fuselage, that Valom added the 'C' mods. A fin tip light and the small intake on the fin leading edge.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Lovely job there. Can't have too many Voodoos.

As Martin says, the kit is a hybrid. It's actually an 'A' fuselage, that Valom added the 'C' mods. A fin tip light and the small intake on the fin leading edge.

Here she is, courtesy of abpic:

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1093052

you can just about see the rear fin tip. note also how the tailplane sat when parked and hydraulics were off.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

So, that picture from abpic shows the intake on the leading edge of the fin so is that not a C ?I

Also l did add the light on the rear of the fin but it does not show up very well on a silver aircraft.

Robert

What you have modelled is an oddity. The airframe was ordered as an F-101A block 35 MacAir ship no 130. It was the third from last 'A' series airframe. From 54-1494 onwards they were RFs.

It was completed as a Block 40 airframe, making it a 'C'. It was converted to an 'H' so this confirms it.

It was at one time the Wing Commanders aircraft at Bentwaters. You can see from the picture below it lacks the fin tip light, but has the elevator feel bellows intake present on the fin. It also lacks the 3 slots either side of the fuselage between the turbine stripe and the burner cans. These were definitive of the 'A' model. The 'C' model has more of the burner cans covered as well.

The main production batch of the 'C' model has the Bu No range beginning 60.  When Robin Olds took over, he commandeered 'Balls One' 60001. Only the WCs a/c had the wing  and elevator tip stripes.

4ca3eba8-4486-4d7f-b8f2-463a1b94c185.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, petetasker said:

Love the Voodoo and what a lovely build. Would love to have seen them in operational service. Apart from Coventry’s preserved example I think the only other one I’ve ever seen was an ex Davis Montham aircraft Alconbury acquired in the mid 80’s for BDRT - superb build again.

Same here l also saw that Voodoo at Alconbury. Wonder whatever happened to it, destroyed ?

Robert

53 minutes ago, Robert said:

Same here l also saw that Voodoo at Alconbury. Wonder whatever happened to it, destroyed ?

Robert

Its mortal remains are at MAM Coventry. The haulier transporting should have used a step frame trailer, but didn't. The fin hit a bridge en route. The entire front section can be seen at the back of their 'dump'. No doubt the rest is there somewhere.

38 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

A pretty Voodoo. They’re like F-4s, great for wild paint schemes. Voodoos are interceptors, would they have been good at dogfighting?

Useless at dogfighting, the pitch up limitation would have made it fall out of the sky. Also the small wing didn't help.

3 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Very nice looking Voodoo, Robert, and great job on the NMF.  I recently picked up the Valom RF-101C and it sounds like these kits take some TLC to put together.

Cheers,

Mark

You need to decide if you want an A or a C. Check your references and modify the fuselage or the fin as required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Very nice looking Voodoo, Robert, and great job on the NMF.  I recently picked up the Valom RF-101C and it sounds like these kits take some TLC to put together.

Cheers,

Mark

Correct, Mark, but nothing that is unattainable.

Martin

Hello Robert,

I have a soft spot for this aircraft. Large, powerful and a quite good service record.

Looking at all the comments, there is not much to add. It seems to be popular by lots of modelers. 

Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Orion

A Bentwaters-based One-Oh-Wonder is the ONLY way to do an F-101A! That is one gorgeous model and you have done the Voo Doo justice! Very nice metal panels, as well. I am sooo jealous! Thanks for sharing your upgrades for the cockpit and undercart- will have to keep them in mind for future reference. If Martin @RidgeRunner liked it, you have done well, grasshopper!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

If Martin @RidgeRunner liked it, you have done well, grasshopper!

And I do, Mike. My measure of a Voodoo is if @bentwaters81tfw likes it! ;). Clearly I still have a lot to learn about the One-O-Wonder :).

Martin

• Haha 2