Eduard 1/48 Scale Bf 110 D from Erprobungsgruppe 210

An Eduard 1/48 Profipack Messerschmitt Bf 110 D kit has been on my shelf for several years, originally intended as a replacement for a Fujimi kit I'd made 15 years ago, depicting one of the Bf 110s that was shot down in the evening of the 15th August 1940, landing some 6 miles away from where in live, just outside Eastbourne. My BoB interests had drawn me into a fascination with the operational experimental unit, Erprobungsgruppe 210 (Erpro 210), fed by a regular diet of John Vasco's books which detail much of this unit's operational history.

spacer.png     spacer.png        

Erpro 210 was heavily involved in pinpoint bombing missions againt Britain as the air offensive gathered pace after Adlertag on the 13th August 1940, but suffered several telling losses on the evening of the 15th August after attacking Croydon airfield in Surrey instead of their intended target, Kenley, a few miles northeast, also in Surrey. It was one of the Stab flight Bf 110s that came down near Eastbourne that evening and that particular aircraft  has been well documented in both contemorary photos and later profiles. The pilot of this aircraft was the Group Technical Officer, Lt Karl-Heinz Koch.

Perhaps one of the more important Luftwaffe casualties that evening however was the Gruppenkommandeur, Hauptmann Walter Rubensdoerffer, whose aircraft was attacked by a variety of Hurricanes as it completed its attack on Croydon and attempted to head home. Rubensdoerffer's aicraft (S9+AB W Nr 3338) was brought down near Rotherfield south of Tunbridge Wells, the coup de grace having arguably been administered by PO Byron (Ron) Duckenfield from 501 Squadron, who used the last of his ammunition on what he perceived to be  Dornier 215 which crashed south of Tunbridge Wells, such misidentifications being commonplace at the time. The German aircraft was destroyed in the ensuing fire, with the result that I've never come across a contemporary photo of Rubensdoerffer's Bf 110, either before or after its final flight. So I decided I would try to model the Eduard kit I had as Rubensdoerffer's aircraft and leave the resulting model open to the informed critique of the modelling community.

spacer.png         spacer.png

I'm a modeller who loves the detail of the aircraft I attempt to portray, usually finding my ham-fisted efforts lead me into all kinds of compromises and disappointing outcomes. The Eduard kit has several issue which have been detailed by many others but, needless to say, my ineptitude created various stumbling blocks along the way, not least of which was the number of tiny parts that were consumed by the carpet monster and had to be scratchbuilt or left out. I could also have done without the inclusion in the kit contents of both the C variant and D variant fuselage halves. The excitement of having completed the detailed cabin modules for both the pilot and his radio operator/gunner led me to overlook this important element which needed a bit of surgery once the realiisation hit me. The kit's main wheels also seem to be those used on the later E and later variants, so I used some aftermarket parts that seemed to be the ones used of the early C and D models. I also failed miserably when it came to suitable surgery and masking up of the cockpit canopy. Even though the Eduard clear sprues offer several excellent options for different canopy positions, I finally had to resort to an aftermarket vac form canory which looks OK if a bit scratched gere and there.

spacer.png      spacer.png      spacer.png

Another word of advice relates to the shade of Stab Green used for the individual aircraft letter and the spinner tips. On a previous Bf 110 C model from another Zerstoerer Stab unit, I'd mixed my own colours but decided that for this model, I'd rely on AIMS 48D014 decal sheet which deals with various Stab Bf 110s. When I finally got round to adding the fuselage decals, the shade of green from this decal sheet looked much too bright for my taste, with the result that a bit of careful painting was required with a mix I felt more appropriate. It may just be me, but I'd be interested to hear any other thoughts.

spacer.png      spacer.png      

Anyway, the model's now finieshed and joins the other 2 Bf 110s that came down around Eastbourne in the summer of 1940, both of these being based on the Fujimi 1/48 scale kit. The Eduard kit is by far the better kit but I've got lots of parts still in the box. The 3 Fujimis are shown below.

spacer.png     spacer.png

Edited by Pauls9cb
Too large pics look unwieldy
  • Like 38

Nice build and I like the other two as well. I have heard that the Fugimi kit has shape issues with the fuselage being too narrow. Is that correct..

I don't like saying negative things. However, I was wondering what didn't look right until you mentioned the canopy. I think that canopy doesn't help the model. It looks too boxie to me. I have two of these kits. I will have a look and see if I can help. Yes I can help with w closed canopy from my kit.

Message sent.

Being from just north of Brighton originally (when it was just Sussex not East & West Sussex) and having interests in very specific aircraft myself, I fully understand your need to get this aircraft just right..

I don't really have much detailed knowledge of Luftwaffe aircraft but the finish looks good to me, I think you've made a good job of it..  Congratulations..

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm unsure how accurate the Fujimi fuselage dimensions are. I built these 2 (and another one) about 16 years ago before Eduard turned their attention to the E variant then the C and Ds. At the time I was a bit more concerned with getting the camo and markings as accurate as I could without analysing the dimensions too much. I've attached acouple of larger pics for those (like myself) whose eyesight has suffered over the years.

Paul

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8