1/48 SAAB SK-37E Viggen

Well, in spite of life doing its best to get in the way, I still managed to finish something !

A bit different from my usual civvie stuff, this is my rendition of Special Hobby's 1/48 SAAB SK-37E Viggen finished OOB and painted with Hataka's Red Line Paint Set (Modern Swedish AF Paint Set Vol 1)

Viggenb.jpg

Viggenf.jpg

Viggenc.jpg

Viggend.jpg

Viggene.jpg

Viggena.jpg

Viggeng.jpg

The kit was a bit tricky in places and I made a few mistakes.....but hey.....I just did it my way.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Hello Mitch,

Your model looks splendid, with a very difficult camou pattern. It is big in model and so also in reality.

On the 15th of June during the air show on the Volkel Airbase in the Netherlands, one Viggen was demonstrated.

Spectacular start with afterburner (what a deafening sound). After the demonstration from the 71 year old pilot,

it passed the public on the flight line. Stopped, put it in reverse and parked it in among the other displayed aircraft.

Attached the display. Regards, Orion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent build and finish!

If anything, most Viggens with the four tone camo tended to look a bit scruffy. In particular, the black paint on the leading edges would quickly start flaking. But nothing wrong with a factory fresh finish, especially when applied so impeccably!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 2:12 PM, Gary Brantley said:

Wow! 😎  Beauty mate, please tell us more!  👏

Thanks Gary. As I mentioned, the kit was built out of the box but proved to be a bit tricky in places - multi-component fuselage parts needed a bit of filling and sanding and assembling the main undercarriage was difficult. (Small pieces + fat fingers = cursing). Don't get me wrong - no complaints - just a test of skills.

As for the paints, I was really impessed with the Hataka set, so much so that I've subsequently bought some other sets for other projects. I found them easy to spray and touching up mistakes with a fine brush was simplicity in itself.

22 hours ago, exdraken said:

great Viggen!

not the easieast of all paint works I assume ;)

did you use pre cut masks?

Thanks exdraken. I scaled up the instructions and cut masks out using masking film for the flat surfaces. Didn't work out too well for the curved parts so I resorted to using lengths of Tamiya tape. One thing that I did avoid was cutting the masks out while the film was stuck on the kit's surface. I made this mistake when I built a "Whif" Su-47 and when I applied a dark wash to highlight panel lines, the wash took up residence in the cut lines Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut

Think I've done my fair share of splinter schemes though? Here's something else that's Swedish : cv9040b

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely job Mike, so you were fibbing when you said it was nowhere near done...??!!

Hope to see it next meeting?

Cracking Viggen! :thumbsup:

Keith

Cheers Keith. Hope to bring it along to the club next week if I can find a pocket big enough ! 😄

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Mitch,

Your model looks splendid, with a very difficult camou pattern. It is big in model and so also in reality.

On the 15th of June during the air show on the Volkel Airbase in the Netherlands, one Viggen was demonstrated.

Spectacular start with afterburner (what a deafening sound). After the demonstration from the 71 year old pilot,

it passed the public on the flight line. Stopped, put it in reverse and parked it in among the other displayed aircraft.

Attached the display. Regards, Orion.

Thanks Orion. The model is quite big and I'm glad to haveadded one to the collection. It's really hard to believe that this technology dates bacck to the late 60's / early 70's, and as for the exhaust, it's absolutely enormous. Many thanks for the video too - extraordinary to say the least.

6 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent build and finish!

If anything, most Viggens with the four tone camo tended to look a bit scruffy. In particular, the black paint on the leading edges would quickly start flaking. But nothing wrong with a factory fresh finish, especially when applied so impeccabl

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim. I found a walkaround video on Youtube and the paintwork did look really worse for wear! I'm afraid that weathering is one weakness that I have never mastered. 😥

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Think I've done my fair share of splinter schemes though? Here's something else that's Swedish : cv9040b

nice!

there is still a Czech MiG-21 you could do... or a pixel Super Hornet... :devil: 

• Haha 1

A Superb Viggen. I have just picked up the new Special hobby 1/72 special twin edition version which has an an AJ-37 and an SK-37 in one box. The quality is excellent and I imagine this 1/48 one really good. Really like the way you have applied the multi tone camo.

Terry

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 20:50, mitchem said:

Cheers Keith. Hope to bring it along to the club next week if I can find a pocket big enough !

Wear your poachers coat....(or better still find a box !!!) :)

K

• Haha 1

The best-built Swede since Ann-Margaret! That is one beautiful Viggen, and I can imagine how big it is in 1/48, as the 1/72 kit is pretty large. Outstanding job with the camouflage- the pattern and the colors. Well done, sir! I have never had the pleasure of seeing and hearing one fly, but my friends who have said the noise is incredible!

Mike

• Like 1