Royal Navy FG.1 XV590

My first entry (with possibly 1 or 2 F-4J(UK) to follow) is the 1/48 Hasegawa / Revell kit.  This is part of a job lot of three Phantoms parts purchased a few years back in one plain box.  Some of the sprues are marked Hasegawa and some have no branding:

20190629_134038

It will be built as XV590 "001/R" of 892 NAS from HMS Ark Royal.  In 1978 whilst exercising with USS Saratoga it received the "Colonial Navy" zap on the fuselage together with a modified roundel sporting a white star as per Xtradecal sheet X48186.  Also pictured are brass pitots and the Wolfpack "flaps down" set:

20190629_134121

I have the Hobbydecal livery decals and rub-down stencil set produced as a special edition for 2008 IPMS Scale Modelworld:

20190629_134232

Have also got an Eduard cockpit etch, so might make a start this afternoon

Regards

Mike

• Like 8

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

Rub down decals.... want to see more !

Nice project(s)!!

:thumbsup:

Oh you will, but much later in the thread😂

I've used them on railway models, the trick is to remember that you only get ONE go at getting it in the correct position and also to make sure that there isn't a previously placed decal nearby that could get lifted off by the sticky top sheet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of days work on and off has got the cockpit almost finished:

20190702_153527 20190702_152027

Just a rear joystick to fit and paint now.  The rear seat isn't glued yet as it required some surgery to fit so that it doesn't foul the rear canopy; a combination of me fixing an etched box too far back on the left sidewall and the seat cushion not fitting round the centre consol.  Neither issue was a match for the Stanley knife and both will be hidden by the back-seater.

The Hasegawa intakes are of course very poor but will have to live with them as I intend it to be posed nose up, flaps down ready for take off.  If I have time in this build for a 1/48 F-4J it will have FOD guards fitted.

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In between spraying the intake trunking white, I've removed all of the control surfaces that are to be replaced by the Wolfpack resin:

20190710_175131

The two flaps appear to be slightly too wide but, if so when everything else is in place, they can be trimmed.

Mike 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi FortyEighter, there's only one proper scheme for a Brit Phantom and you're doing it!

One point if I may, I don't think the FAA FG 1's had a rear stick? I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Dave

2 hours ago, Coors54 said:

Hi FortyEighter, there's only one proper scheme for a Brit Phantom and you're doing it!

One point if I may, I don't think the FAA FG 1's had a rear stick? I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Dave

Some where Dual controls, this is from a member here helping me build mine two years ago. 

md08MlU.png

IrMvjjd.png

ukRVpL2.png

Dennis

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Canopies were masked and painted inside, only to find quite a bit of paint bleed when masks were removed.  Either I didn't rub the edges enough or the New Ware masks used are not as sticky as the Eduard ones.

Never mind, there are some Eduard masks and spare canopies in another box so will use those for this model and tidy up the first set at a future date.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Having been away or "busy" in the last two weeks, the main coats of paint are now applied:

20190911_173230

Obviously all of the Wolfpack posable control surfaces are yet to be added!

Radome and rear metal sections next to be painted along with undefcarriage and wing stores etc.  Hope there is still enough time to finish this one before the deadline.

Mike

• Like 4

Almost at the stage where decaling can begin - though I might just leave off some of the stencils and the panel numbers to meet the deadline

20190917_172846

Going for an "Air Display" pose; flaps drooped, 3 fuel tanks, 4 Navy rocket launchers (courtesy of my Sea Vixen) and 4 inert Sparrows - they did seem to have a lot hung off the wings when being shown off to the public!  Anyway, all the aforementioned are also now painted

20190917_172929

• Like 4

On 9/23/2019 at 6:19 AM, exdraken said:

Great paint work!

The stand with the over extended nose leg just sets it apart!

Very nice, with the 1 week extension of the GB, you could make it, no?!

:)

Thanks

Yes, the extended nose leg makes for a good pose and seems quite common when they were displayed at Yeovilton.

The extra week should see this finished, although "finished" may well omit some of the smaller stencils and life is far too short to even think about applying all of the panel numbers!!

Mike

Some more progress:

All of the livery decals are now in place apart from the underwing serial numbers - not the best of photos but it's a bit dull and wet today.  The few stencils around the cockpit are from the rub-down sheet.

20190924_102901

Eduard seat belts fitted, though I'm not quite sure how they should hang on the seats

20190924_102548

And finally a few words about those rub-down transfers

20190924_093652

These have been stored (out of the light) for about five years and, despite Hobby Decals claiming a shelf life of upto 10 years, have lost some of their "tackiness" which means a bit more rubbing is needed than I would expect (the livery decals in the same set have also yellowed).

Anyway, to apply a decal it needs to be fixed in place with some tape and rubbed down with a burnishing tool or a pencil (I used the latter method).  Fixing it with tape allows one corner to be carefully lifted with a knife to check if the whole transfer has come away from the carrier film - if not the tape ensures that when rubbing down some more, the transfer stays in the same position.  It takes longer than applying decals and there is no chance to re-position the transfer but you do get that "painted on" look with no marginal carrier film.

Mike

• Like 1

Well you've definitely put some clear water between us now Mike, and wthout shirking on the quality.  She's looking very good now.

I've got a load of Phantoms in my future and have plenty of Eduard etch belts and cockpit sets so may go that route on the next one just for giggles seeing how spot on yours looks, despite having wasted so much of my GB time casting resin copies of the Aires pit!.

Have to say I'm not convinced I'd handle rub-down transfers quite as well as you are though.

Keep plugging, almost there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

20190924_093652

These have been stored (out of the light) for about five years and, despite Hobby Decals claiming a shelf life of upto 10 years, have lost some of their "tackiness" which means a bit more rubbing is needed than I would expect

I use dry transfers quite often, mine have always responded well to micro-sol solution to lock the decal down. If you have some i recommend you try it, it might just work for you in this situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I use dry transfers quite often, mine have always responded well to micro-sol solution to lock the decal down. If you have some i recommend you try it, it might just work for you in this situation. 

My problem is getting them off the carrier film onto the model - once there, they are OK.  Presumably you use micro-sol after releasing them from the carrier?

• Like 1