Cold War Navy

I'm currently building mountfield models 1/700 RN ships, one of every type from 70's with a plan to  model Devonport 4/5 basin and frigate alley as it was known. Finished my time on the RSU at Chatham on the second of the tribals I served on (Nubian and Zulu) so hoping they'll be produced. We used to muster on a Cat class, Lynx I think, can't rember if that ever went grey deck?

Biggest project is Hermes I've just bought (orange Hobby) in its 70's commando fit.

any plans for measurement of that part of Devonport Docks I'd appreciate direction

• Like 3

You have my attention! A collection of RN Warships from the 70's would be great.

I'm not sure if you have heard of the Fine Waterline group. There was a thread on here a while back which might be useful:

Also, Fine Waterline have a site here, but looks like it is still being developed. Some good stuff though.

https://www.finewaterline.org/

I mention these as some time ago I acquired (from them, Rob Kernaghan actually) some 1/700 resin kits for Type 41, 61 and 81 Frigates. Very basic kits but excellent castings and a good basis to start.

Picture below shows all three, plus my attempt (so far) of a type 15 from a Matchbox Kelly.

Top to bottom are type 15 (this is planned as HMS Rocket), type 81 (I'm redoing the superstructure from some reasonable plans and photos), type 61 and type 41.

20190630_115953

A close up to show how fine some of the detail is:

20190630_120016

And to go with these I also started to convert another Kelly to a type 16, this one is intended to become HMS Terpiscore

20180731_110136

And of course I have a partly complete HMS Ark Royal IV late 70's fit, being converted from the Fujimi post war Ark Royal!

20180405_223529

And just to show how mad I really am, I also have one of these, in 1/350, yet to be started

20190630_120112

My passion for RN ships of this era is quite strong!

Having recently taken full early retirement, my build plans will at last see some of these progressing soon.

You will find some enthusiastic folks on here for this era, who I'm sure will be keen to follow your builds!

Terry

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Having recently taken full early retirement, my build plans will at last see some of these progressing soon.

Terry, Terry, Terry, when will you learn NOT to put such statements on here, you know how I'll hold you to it :rofl:. Putting that aside, looks like you have many fingers in many pies, especially with your ship builds.

Stuart

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

looks like you have many fingers in many pies, especially with your ship builds.

Yes. With the 1/700 collection, particularly the types 15 and 16, and the Ark, those were started over 20 years ago in a previous life. Then things got in the way as they do, and starting back in the hobby again a mere 4 years ago I've been taking stock. Also, some of my earlier projects were not only halted due to "life events", but went into storage. It's only last last couple of years that I've properly unpacked the lot (including an almost forgotten large stash), and started to take stock.

Like Mo here, I always wanted a cold war RN fleet, and maybe now I can get back on that case more seriously.

But as you say .........

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

you know how I'll hold you to it 

I do indeed ..........!!!

Terry

• Like 2

Mo - for the dimensions of the dock basin Google Maps in satellite mode will give you a useable image - the current view includes HMS Kent longside so you can scale the dock and buildings diamensions  from her known length.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and interest guys, I admire the desire to build your Cold War Terry, some project! I think I prefer the nearly done Mountfield models with my skills. I've done Blake and a Leander of every fit plus a Whitby and Rothesay(Rhyl, my first ship) 

ive done a Captain class and a type 42 as Birmingham.

my current build are a 61 Salisbury and the last of the cats, Lynx. 

They may not be superfine, but I've decided as I want so many, I need bulk. I loved being alongside frigate wharf, three rows of ships moored up to three deep! Just about the whole fleet now!

Heres a question though, as I'm no expert. The Mountfield Cat is in early fit with a lattice rear mast. 70's they had been refitted to carry the bedstead radar on a plated mast. Would you say it looks same as a leanders? I'll just use one of those, hope no one is too much of a rivet counter! 

Ill post pictures when I've time to work out how. 

• Like 2

Oh thanks for the info czechnavy, I've got some old plans, can't read the measurements and some schematic Navy Days plans from programmes. I'll get there with a bit of 'if it looks right' Main problem will be buildings and I can't find any 1/700'dock cranes other than the big boys!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mo Morris said:

The Mountfield Cat is in early fit with a lattice rear mast. 70's they had been refitted to carry the bedstead radar on a plated mast. Would you say it looks same as a leanders?

I can't say for sure but looking at pictures it looks very similar, and you could probably get away with that. It seems the plated mast stops lower than the structure of the forward lattice one, and the top of the bedstead sits slightly higher than that, so if you get that right it should be ok.

Terry

Ta Terry. Had Leo Marriott's RN frigates 1945 -1983  book with me as I've been on hols this last week, its excellent and gives line drawings for all types, but the Cats were with lattice. Just got home and had a good look at my Janes 72' to 73' and having browsed tinternet I'm happpy with that. I'll get Matt at Mtminiatures to send me one with my next order, Probably pair of GMD's in both modifications.

ta

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:50, Mo Morris said:

Thanks for the replies and interest guys, I admire the desire to build your Cold War Terry, some project! I think I prefer the nearly done Mountfield models with my skills. I've done Blake and a Leander of every fit plus a Whitby and Rothesay(Rhyl, my first ship) 

ive done a Captain class and a type 42 as Birmingham.

my current build are a 61 Salisbury and the last of the cats, Lynx. 

They may not be superfine, but I've decided as I want so many, I need bulk. I loved being alongside frigate wharf, three rows of ships moored up to three deep! Just about the whole fleet now!

Heres a question though, as I'm no expert. The Mountfield Cat is in early fit with a lattice rear mast. 70's they had been refitted to carry the bedstead radar on a plated mast. Would you say it looks same as a leanders? I'll just use one of those, hope no one is too much of a rivet counter! 

Ill post pictures when I've time to work out how. 

I haven't got any plans to hand but although the radar is the same (T965M with the AKE(1) aerial), the mast on the Cats looks slightly taller and slightly broader from these photos:

2880924.jpg

1367455.jpg

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:23, Terry1954 said:

Top to bottom are type 15 (this is planned as HMS Rocket), type 81 (I'm redoing the superstructure from some reasonable plans and photos), type 61 and type 41.

20190630_115953 

Not sure if it is my eye sight, the moulding or my lack of knowledge but I always believed that the Cats and Cities used the same hull.  But that photo above to me at least shows a distinctly longer fo'c'sle on the City class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Not sure if it is my eye sight, the moulding or my lack of knowledge but I always believed that the Cats and Cities used the same hull.  But that photo above to me at least shows a distinctly longer fo'c'sle on the City class.

I see what you mean but the photo is actually a bit distorted, and of course you are correct, they were based on same hull. I took another side-on picture (below) to compare and there is a fractional difference in length which I put down to shrinkage, particularly at the bow of the 61 (lower vessel). I think that one was produced at a different time to the 41, but can't be sure. Even in the picture below, the camera lens places the stern out of line with the ruler, yet it wasn't! You can see the overall length is around 145/146 mm which doesn't scale exactly according to several sources should be closer to 143 mm.

These models were quite basic but an excellent starting point for a potentially superb little model. The Tribal for example had correct overall dimensions, but I found the main deck houses, although accurate in shape, wrongly positioned. When I eventually get round to building the Tribal, I'll scratch build the superstructure. I've not measured main deck house positions on the 41 or 61 yet, nor done much checking on overall dimensions apart from length.

20190707_083738

Terry

• Like 4

It's  interesting that no one has yet brought out a tribal model,. I've suggested. To Matt at Mountfield that they are overdue after all they were more numerous than Cats or Cathederals. Historical important as first purposefully designed to carry helos , last of open gun turrets and used extensively for things like Beira patrol and West Indies guard ship etc. 

The other missing ship in this scale are type 21 's, though starling are set to bring out a Falklands War set, so I'm sure these must come in that series. Hopefully the larger survey vessels as well, Hydra, Hecla And Herald, used as hospital ships and part of the Cold War 'survey navy'. Great to have them available along with the smaller survey Vessels Fox and Fawn

As for the Cats, well I'm no scrathcvuilder so I think a Leander plated bedstead mast will do.

you know I'm amazed with all the dockyard building and accessories out there there are no typical Victorian Portsmouth and Plymouth dock buildings available. Or cranes. After all most of the worlds navies followed those designs, which were copied in every HM naval base throughout the world! Perhaps a growing 1/700 demAnd will produce the kits! 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, Mo Morris said:

It's  interesting that no one has yet brought out a tribal model...

...maybe not in 1/700, but Atlantic Models have a beauteous Tribal in 1/350

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, Mo Morris said:

It's  interesting that no one has yet brought out a tribal model,

As I mentioned much earlier in the thread, there was a resin 1/700 Tribal (Type 81) available through the Fine Waterline group some time back. I obtained mine direct from Rob Kernaghan at the time. Might be worth contacting him through the Fine Waterline group to see if he has any left?

Crisp is correct re the Atlantic Models Tribal in 1/350. It is rather splendid.

Terry

• Like 1