Tools and paint storage?

Michael Morris

My present storage of paints and tools is overflowing and I need a new "storage solution".

I can't have anything left out permanently, and when I do set up it might be in anyone of three places in the house, so whatever I use has to be very portable.

I'm preferably looking for some sort of portable draw system and/or possibly cantilever trays.

Any suggestions?

spacer.png

Edited by Michael Morris

I am in the same situation as you and have one identical to this one for tools etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D094JD2/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_tai_mZYfDb9WHYCEH

and two similar to this for paints. One for figure painting, oils and acrylics and the other for plastic kits, Tamiya, Gunze paints.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Plastic-Removable-Carry-Handle/dp/B009P5VUZK/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=13+inch+tool+box&qid=1561800371&s=gateway&sr=8-5

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Would any of the modular HobbyZone units be suitable? 

They can be packed away in a cupboard when not in use.

https://hobbyzone.pl

Or try a fishing tackle shop for a carry around solution.

I use the Hobbyzone kit. Very reasonable for what it does.

As you are UK based try Aldi or Lidl as both tend to have suitable carrying systems, They are not always in stock but seem to come round regularly, These are similar to those available from  Amazon but slightly cheaper. All my tools and paints are now in cases from these sources. I even got one that was deep enough to hold Mig-Ammo paints upright.

Cannot post photo's of these at the moment but may add post tomorrow with pic's..

For immediate storage of metal tools (specifically ferric tools), you can use magnetic knife strips that you can screw to a wall or the side of your spray booth like in my case.  Anything susceptible to magnetism will go on there within arm's reach.  Swann Morton make ferric scalpels that make storing them out of the way but nearby a piece of (very sharp) cake :)

What the others have said, those modular units from AMMO, Hobby Zone etc. are great if you're starting from scratch, and you can also get wall mounted paint racks.  Very handy :yes:

On 6/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, Michael Morris said:

........I can't have anything left out permanently, and when I do set up it might be in any one of three places in the house, so whatever I use has to be very portable.

I'm preferably looking for some sort of portable draw system and/or possibly cantilever trays.

Any suggestions?

Afternoon Michael, would guess you are either a.) in shared accommodation, b.) at home with parents, or c.) have little ones about?

Depending on the type (plastic bottle, tin or glass jar) and number of paints my suggestion would be more of the type of tool box you already use.

There are many sizes and prices, only you know how much your pocket will take, but, worth bearing in mind, no matter how BIG it might be you've still got to move it,

and that can wear pretty thin, pretty quick, so I would suggest no longer than 70cm, (2' 4" in owd money!) Many tool boxes now go for the lift out tray,

might be worth taking one of each of the paints you use with you, just to check they fit, be the box cantilever or removable tray.

I would suggest one box dedicated to your tools and another for your paints with possibly a third for everything else.

Be aware, with the latter each session will take you half an hour longer to set up....'cos you'll always fall into the trap of 

'ooh, that's where that went' and 'ooh, forgotten I'd got one of those' you can guess the rest, ask me how I know!

If the reason your modelling sessions are 'mobile' is because of little fingers I suggest you 'bite the bullet' and invest in one or two that will take a small padlock......

just remember where you put the keys!

HTH

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/28/2019 at 9:06 PM, Cliff7474 said:

Iris Ohyama Europe Storage 6 black, wheels, tower unit six, Drawer organiser, Plastic office drawers-SDC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JPDFMIS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Concur ^^

There are models with slightly deeper drawers as well, our local DIY/Hardware chain store had them on sale.

Caster wheels, stackable and the drawers are big enough to fit a standard 1/48 Airfix box in there. 
Very convenient, you can keep a project contained per drawer.