Happy Canada Day - Quick build Seaking Challenge - Ha ha quick build lol

Good day one and all!

Its been some time since I've frequented here, I used to spend many a lunch and break time in work trawling through these pages but about 2 years ago they blocked BM (I know the B*********). I then found it difficult to keep up with all that was going on, slowly losing out, I had done a couple of posts but nowt major. However recently a random google search highlighted a BM page and remarkably it was back. The mighty BM had returned! So having had a good a catch up, and nice to see a few builds still going on ( @hendie and @Martian Hale being the main culprits) it was like I hadn't been away. So I thought Id would make a concerted contribution, but what? 

Well this weekend is Canada Day long weekend, and the weather sucks like a Cornish Bank Holiday, so its almost a perfect storm. It has to be a Canada Day weekend quick build, so I went through my stash and dug out one of my Seakings. I had a decal sheet from ages ago that I bought for the 771 version, but it also had a old Canadian  version so what better than a RCN Seaking in Grey, EDSG and fluorescent!.......in a weekend!

The challenge is on, convert a revel Mk41 into a CH124. This will be a quick build so no major work on the interior and to be honest artistic license (I love that phrase) will be applied liberally! So first up it was time to clear the bench...

Seaking

Time to stash my swordfish for the weekend and get out the plastic

Seaking

This version comes with a lovelly decal sheet but no it has to go! this is my chosen option

Seaking

Seaking

So I don't have much time, its Friday night and I want to complete by Monday 2nd July, Canada Day. So it was straight into the build. The first thing is ALL doors and windows will be closed tight so that gives me the scope to ignore much of the internals. The only visible bit will be the cockpit and the most hideous bit about that is Revells seats. I know Canadians take it easy but the comfy chairs Revell supply are no where near realistic so its a quick re model. They are the same as Sikorsky offerings and not the Westland type so a bit of modification is required. (Disclaimer: Although I have spent several years around Canadian Seakings, my main experience is the RN type so a lot of the internal details may be more UK than Canadian......but hey that's where artistic license comes in!)

This is the evolution of the front seats

Seaking

As I'm only bothered about the cockpit I only need to worry about 2 seats. After this I added a tubular surround to the seat and that is where I am, although I haven't go a photo yet of that part but ill show it when its complete.

Another area is just behind P1 which the kit displays as a random spaghetti pattern so that was removed and a more appetising background created.

Seaking

This was then primed with Mig Ammo One shot primer. I prefer this as it sands well and is a good bed for Mig, Vallejo Air and Model Master, my preferred acrylics. I have tried vallejo primer (grey and black) and although it sprayed well it wouldnt sand, it seemed to want to peel rather than feather, causing much heartache on my silver swordfish! But this Mig stuff is great! So before I retire tonight this is my progress

Seaking

Seaking

So that's the primer down, tomorrow morning will be an interior grey (not sure which yet) and then a splash of colour and finally close up the fuselage, not a bad target for day two!

This will be a tricky target, for although the weather is pants Mrs C will need some attention, which basically means a touch of mooching around the shops. And we have a rib fest here in Halifax so that may be a distraction if we can find a break in the weather but at least I don't have any kids soccer so that is a god send! Oh well, time to settle down with a bit of Chateau Nerf du Bobby homebrew (which ironically is a bit papp but its cheap and cheerful!) and ponder on tomorrows details.

Cheers now

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 6

Oh you coasters, so crazy in your ways.

Hopefully you reach your target!  Canada day always has terrible weather giving you the easy excuse to stay in. 👌

• Like 1

After a couple of glasses and a nice long snooze, I awoke at o'crack sparrow (early) and managed to get a coat of light ghost grey down. Not an exact match but close enough for my needs. This meant I could very soon start assembling, first after that however was a nice dog walk before the rain came in and with Mrs C in the gym I could get more done. I gave the console and instrument panel a quick gloss before the walk and then used the kits decals just to add that little bit more colour and interest I also added little splashes of colour here and there. So here she is with the internals almost done.

20190629_080914

And post decals

20190629_101935

Next it was to look at the external differences, first off were the chaff dispenser Revell mold onto the side, then a new refuel point is required, simply cut out under the door, ill put the fuelling receptacle in later, fill in the scribed rear windows and fit the forward port window blank, fill the aerial holes and finally remove the PLG (Pulse load generator) bulge just below the gearbox on the port side. I was hoping this would be solid but it did break through, so filled this with PPP and I will have to rescribe later. Here is before

20190629_092807

And after

20190629_101730

Next up is the elephant in the room concerning the Revell Seakings......to rivet or not to rivet..... I do like the restrained effort from Revell but with the airframe mods it would be extremely difficult not to lose some detail. So one goes they all go! I did this with a Belgium version a few years ago and it turned out really nice. There is a lot of restrained detail that isn't really visible with all those rivets. So before joining the fuselages I have had a go at removing them......not that you can tell!

Finally those seats I missed off last night, here they are ready for a splash more colour and some harnesses. Not sure how to do the harnesses, they are my least favourite part, don't seem to ever be able to get them look nice. Ill see what spare etch I have kicking round. If only someone did a job lot of helo harnesses in etch! Any hoo the seats..

20190629_102008

Not a great pic but you get the idea.

And finally halfe the fuselage goes together

20190629_081305

That's it for now, off out for a mooch around the shops with Mrs C in the rain.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

So a busy afternoon, mooching around some shops and still having time to get back and get some progress done. She is now together as one looking like a Seaking should.

20190629_161900_resized

Although I don't think it should have so much filler! That was done before my outing so by the time we got back it was out with the sand paper and give her a damn good rubbing down, removing all signs of rivets seams and dimples. I then gave it a quick wash and I reckon she is ready for a bit of primer.....but that wont be tonight as I have Steak, egg and chips on the go! So here she is just drying and waiting

20190629_185651_resized

I also did more work on the seats, working with acrylics certainly has its advantages! Its a poor photo but hopefully you get the idea, the harnesses have been robbed from a spare merlin etch fret, so not historically accurate but they will do!

20190629_185743_resized

I still have to put a bit of paint on those stays which ive just put in. I then test fitted the canopy while I lined up the nose insert and it is a surprisingly good fit.

20190629_162609_resized

So I will loosely fit it for the painting but have it removable, mainly because no matter how careful I am I will get a load of dust on the inside as soon as I glue it in, so at least then it gives me half a chance of a clean cockpit. I'll also leave the cabin door off for the same reason. 

I then turned to the main undercarriage. The kit example is quite bare and solid so drilled a couple of holes to replicate the real thing, but the sponson aren't boxed in and it looks bad, so I assembled the sponsons with the undercarriage in but fitted a roof to the top of the assembly, with that in place I filled in the rear and tomorrow I will fill in the sides, you'll get an idea of what I mean below, and you can see it further in the seat photo above

20190629_170240_resized

It just needs some careful fettling...and of course removal of those darned rivets!

Finally tonight I'm looking at the engine intake part, I didn't intend on using the FOD shield so this will be wide open. Unfortunately the Revell part is not really lifelike. In reality you wouldn't see so much of the engine vanes, they should be much further recessed.

20190629_185702_resized

I need to ponder that before I stick that in. Airfix (which I don't have a picture of) have nailed it so I'm pondering if my spare kit, which will be a 771 NAS version would be able to donate them if I fitted a sandfilter. I think it would but that will be tomorrows thoughts.

That's all for now, Steak and Cider to settle in for the night!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 2

wow!  Amazing progress for such a short time.  

The cockpit are turned out great with just the minimum splash of color.

I agree about the engines though - they can't remain as is and something has to be done

• Like 1

Day 3, and cursed weather decides to break slightly and I am guilted into doing some weeding and tarting up the yard. This is not on! Luckily the weather turns to crap again and normal service is resumed (after my morning Tims Coffe and Donut of course.

You are right about those intakes, so I pondered on sacrificing my spare airfix ones, below is my Mk1 Airfix kit with the said intakes

20190630_143838_resized

Cripes! look at that dust! I really need to clean that up! You can see the intakes are a lot deeper, and having had my head down there on the real thing a few times I can attest to the depth! So can I spare them if I fit the sandfilter? Here is my Mk4 without any intakes fitted.

20190630_143848_resized

It does hide it quite well, this is very close in so you cant really see unless you know what to look for, it does raise the question of where are my Mk4 intakes? Who knows lol!

I then had a panic of dropping the front end onto the floor, after many lost battles to the carpet monster I decided to rip it up and go with hardwood flooring. No more carpet monster losses, hoorah! But then found a flaw in the plan, wood flooring wont go right up to the wall, especially by a heater, so guess where the part ended up?

20190630_144945_resized

Using a makeshift mirror I found the part nestled right under there, what an absolute palaver! Eventually I dug it out and then we were off, just need to be aware of this bear trap in the future!

Sooo I cut off the intakes and opened up the recess to take the new intakes,

20190630_150653_resized

and test fitted those intakes

20190630_150734_resized

They will need a little jiggery pokery when I finally fit them, but in this case I can leave them off for now and fit them later making it much neater, so it was time to mask up everything ready for a good prime.

20190630_162211_resized

I used Tamiya tape and now she is ready, time for prime!

So while that was priming I turned my attention to the sponsons, I finished off boxing in the recess. Below you can see where I have glued the sides in before trimming and after trimming. This does reduce the size of the recess but it looks a lot better than doing nothing.

20190630_165523_resized

These then went off to the dope shop and the fuselage came back, unfortunately when I cleaned it down post sanding I reckon I must have removed a lot of the PPP filler as there were a lot of seams and areas that showed up, so it was back out with it and fill again.

20190630_174724_resized

I will let that harden overnight and then clean it out, its no where near as bad as I thought and the skin is quite smooth following a complete derivetting. So that is where I am at tonight, day 3 and no proper paint on, but I should be good for tomorrow to get some paint on her, so e wont be complete for Canada Day but who on earth thought this was possible 🤣. I reckon I can complete it by next weekend though, still good going! Gives me a bit of time to research the aerial fit for this aircraft. Speaking of which I haven't even covered this particular Seaking I'm building, so I will cover that over the next couple of days. In the meantime its time to chill with a nice Dirty Blonde......who just happens to be a very pleasant local beer!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

I think this was a build too far to get done over a weekend but we shall push on regardless, I would like to get it in the RFI before the end of next week end, I have a bit of a busy week ahead but I think its doable.

But first Happy Canada Day to all Canucks where ever you may be! 

So I didn't push the limits out too far for todays work, after a long lay in, dog walk and then cooking up bacon and pancakes, the morning was gone! I rubbed down the filler from the night before and then gave the whole airframe a good polish with micro mesh. A good look showed that it "looked" pretty nice, so it was out with the grey. I don't have the exact colour match but this is down to artistic license and used a light grey acrylic from Model Master, A couple of thin coats later and it is looking quite fine!

20190701_182614

20190701_182622

I did have a little bit of splatter but the main body looks good and the rest I can rub down before the EDSG. So quite happy with that, ill leave it over night and give it a bit of EDSG on the upper surface tomorrow, then a bit of fluorescence after that, by then she should be looking Sea Kingish!

So this version will be serial 4001, the very first Canadian SeaKing built by Sikorsky, depicted around 1963/4. She was one of 3 built by Sikorsky before production was moved to Canada. As an early production aircraft, there isn't a lot to her. No beartrap underneath, limited avionics and no flot bags on the sponson. After a long and illustriously career she was retired to the Shearwater Aviation Museum, here in Halifax, Nova Scotia where she bears the scheme I will depict her in. I was looking around the museum back in April at the local Model show, but never thought to take any pics of her. Would have been might handy if I did lol!

So didn't quite make the cut off but its been fun to just clear the table and dig out a quick build before I get back into my bigger projects.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 3

Afternoon all!

Well progress has understandably slowed a little, especially as the sun is now shining but fear not I said I would complete this by the end of Canada Day...….. just glad I didn't mention which Canada Day 😂

So just a really quick update, I masked off the upper fuselage and readied for the application of EDSG, this included rescribing (quite badly as it happens, just like all my rescribing!) the lost detail when I removed the PLG bulge. I masked off the stabilizer as that would be easier to paint a fluorescent colour over a light base rather than dark, then forgot to mask off the rear dayglo stripe, oh well, ill get the white paint out for that. I then gave her a couple of coats of Vallejo Air EDSG. Normally with my usual Tamiya primer this doesn't like to go on well, but where I've used Mig one shot it covers beautifully, which is nice!

2019-07-03_08-42-47

I peeled away the masking tape and it worked out fine, although looking at the contrast between the two greys, I think the lighter grey is a bit too light, but not worth getting worried about, its close enough for my personal work!

2019-07-03_08-43-05

I put the fuselage away and then looked at all the ancillary stuff that needed doing, first the main rotor blades. The kit blades are a bit of a hybrid between old metal blades and modern composite blades. I need to take these back to the old metal design. The tip of the kit blades are correct for a metal blade, the modern composite blade is a much squarer shape, also the blade has raised detail indicating trailing edge pockets which again the metal blades have, but the composite is smooth. What I do need to adjust is to remove the trim tabs on the trailing edge and to cut out a wedge near the root of the blade. You can see the difference below.

2019-07-03_08-43-28

Once all those have been done and all the other parts have been tidied up then it will be out with the primer and getting those parts sorted, but for now work, kids soccer and sun is getting in the way.....not that I'm complaining😁

Until next time!

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
Edit photo links
  • Like 4

Looking lovely. Just a point to make, the RCAF/RCN Sea Kings being US built had a fairing  under the nose  a kind of tear drop sahpe in plan and some kind of antenna I think The REvell kit does noyt have this being as it represents Westland built Sea Kings .   I found that out when I built mine using Belcher bits resin additions, But I can live with that. I have doen an old Airfix tooled version which does have this fairing and its also one I have done in the early colours as per your choice.

Keep up the good  work though!

16 hours ago, Paul J said:

Looking lovely. Just a point to make, the RCAF/RCN Sea Kings being US built had a fairing  under the nose  a kind of tear drop sahpe in plan and some kind of antenna I think The REvell kit does noyt have this being as it represents Westland built Sea Kings .   I found that out when I built mine using Belcher bits resin additions, But I can live with that. I have doen an old Airfix tooled version which does have this fairing and its also one I have done in the early colours as per your choice.

Keep up the good  work though!

Is that the large one on the underside, around where the anti col light is normally housed? I've been looking at that and will probably end up building up sheet stock and whittling it down to shape. Its my intention to make it so accurately that it will just sit in there nicely so as not to need any filler and a new paint job in that area...….. and maybe pigs might just fly :rofl:. There is also one under the tail cone that needs to be whittled up (or down?). So its on my radar.

15 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Lovely work so far...

If you decide to hang things on the sides, here's a handy instructional guide - though due to some odd editing, I'm not sure it should necessarily be done in the order shown!

From what you said earlier, I'm guessing you'll be finishing the model as below?

spacer.png

That's a great video, I love those nostalgic ones. There are some weapons in the Revell kit so I may be tempted to "tool" her up! The aircraft above is the one I'm doing, except mine will have a dayglo nose and stab along with a tail cone stripe. That is a nice part shot of her underside which gives me a bit more detail. My only concern is the amount of stenciling required. There is none in my Cutting Edge set and all kit stencils are of the European yellow lettering on black background, but these need red lettering on white...….so may have to ponder on that. Also just noticed on the main rotor, there is a bit of an angle on the blade root, so I will replicate that later.

Not much progress to report, fixed up the main blades and fitted to the head and primed the main and tail rotors, undercarriage and the sponsons. No phots of that but I will update soon with more progress.

Cheers now

Bob

Try Belcher bits. he also does the sonor buoys stuff etc in resin as a separate set There was a decal set by Mike Belcher too   

However I have the Model Alliance set with special markings and lots of stencilling You could have some of those if you want, Doubt I'll use them all.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, andyf117 said:

Apologies if you've already got some/all of the above...

Thanks for posting those, I've seen the bottom one but not the top, some interesting details emerge from those. I haven't paid enough attention to the stensiling as they have yellow on black above. I got my reference from the aircraft currently at Shearwater Museum, that one above is a later modded aircraft but i'm willing to go with their stencils.

As for progress this weekend, from a modelling point of view the worst thing happened..... the sun came out and shone brightly all weekend! So model time was minimal. I managed some paint on Saturday morning before heading out to watch the mighty Halifax Wanderers FC down town. I primed a lot of the ancillaries and masked off for the dayglo. I then got out some colours and painted up the main rotors, wheel wells and the white stripe on the tail. Below is the main rotor underside, I sprayed it free hand without masking so I have got a bit of overspray on the leading edge at the blade root, I will have to do a little bit of touching up.

2019-07-07_09-29-43

And the same rotors from above, black undersides and grey upper

2019-07-07_09-29-57

I just need to mask up and do the actual rotor head then that will be job done. It was then time for a bit of fluorescent. It should be red fluorescent and I used Model Master Red Flouro, but its a bit weak and more of an orange. I pondered if I should have given it a red undercoat first but decided to just go with it as it was. I found best way is to build it up very lightly until I have a solid base. I think my paint is starting to go off as it kept blocking my airbrush, it was a right pain but got there in the end. So compared to the phots above it is a bit light but we'll just call it "washed out"!

2019-07-07_09-30-17

And the other side, I still need to paint the upper sponson strut fairings in EDSG and then its out with the black for the exhaust and anti glare strips...… shes getting there!

2019-07-07_09-30-29

That's all for now, but don't expect this to progress really fast, the sun is still shining and I've got to make the most of that!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 6

3 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

it is a bit light but we'll just call it "washed out"!

nicely faded I'd call it.

it's looking really good from where I'm sitting Bob

• Like 1

So just a little bit of tweaking and diddling since the last update, I went for the black areas and spent most of my spare time masking it off and trying to get it to look right. I was going for the anti glare strip and the exhaust areas so that resulted in major masking!

2019-07-09_10-08-10

Then after a nice application of MM black, I carefully peeled it all away and am quite happy with these results.

2019-07-09_10-08-21

And the other side

2019-07-09_10-08-35

The flash makes the upper markings stand out a lot more than reality, in fact they blend in quite sweetly!

Now them there blades, @andyf117 I have taken what you said onboard. The grey blades did look a little dark when compared to the airframe so I went over it again with my lightest grey, Model Master Camouflage Grey, and it is a bit more reasonable. Going with the "unknown Grey" description I'm happier with it! Again the flash washes it out more but tonally its better.

So that's where I am at so far, not much will get done tonight as my Halifax Wanderers play Ottowa Fury in the Canadian Cup tonight (Its soccer) so will be heading down for that, which will hopefully go down as an epic cup tie! So looking ahead I will be concentrating on those sponsons, the tail rotor and painting the main rotor head, I think I'm getting there!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 6

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread, especially so as I did this scheme in 1/48 a few years back. I had been wandering round Telford wondering what I was going to build for the following years show and I saw this scheme on a Belcher Bits decal sheet. The scheme looked so cool that I immediately knew what I was going to build. The model? It was lucky enough to score a silver at the following year's show. Sadly no pictures as the scum at Photo Bucket nicked them. Don't get me started on that one. :rant:

Martian 👽

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:50 PM, Martian Hale said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread, especially so as I did this scheme in 1/48 a few years back. I had been wandering round Telford wondering what I was going to build for the following years show and I saw this scheme on a Belcher Bits decal sheet. The scheme looked so cool that I immediately knew what I was going to build. The model? It was lucky enough to score a silver at the following year's show. Sadly no pictures as the scum at Photo Bucket nicked them. Don't get me started on that one. :rant:

Martian 👽

Oh I know, them buggers, screwed up a lot of my stuff as well!

Well here we are on another update, now day 26, so the quick build has really gone to pot, lol (but hey in reality I don't think there is such a thing as a quick build). Since the last up date the weather in Nova Scotia has been stupendously nice, which means a minimal of bench time. Also we had an incident involving my teenage son, vodka and univited guests which means he is now occupying my 'old' hobby room (his old bedroom upstairs) and I have had to relocate into my 'new' hobby room (his previous bedroom) in the basement, so I do more space but just had the nausea of having to move EVERYTHING! Still all good in the end.....apart from my son who is very sheepish, and grounded for what will seem like a lifetime to him! Hey we all did it when we were younger, didn't we? We just didn't get caught lol! But the Brightside is I have room for, not really a shelf of doom but a shelf of optimism! (lower shelf is the completed section), conveniently located next to my closet of unstarted kits, just to remind me.

2019-07-22_08-06-15

So where are we at on our Seaking? I went through and masked up for the final bits of EDSG, on the fuselage that meant masking off for the upper fairing for the sponson strut. This is molded onto the fuselage which makes it difficult for masking. Luckily Airfix don't do it this way and leave a nicely shaped recess for this fairing. So by sticking masking tape over the airfix model and carefully cutting, I ended up with a nice mask that just only needed a touch of adjustment.

2019-07-22_08-04-51

The fuselage was then masked up as well as the sponsons, tail rotor head and main rotor head. The rotor heads should be a different shade, probably a bit darker than EDSG but i'm just going with that as it looks ok. So then it was out with the airbrush and a quick spray without screwing anything up!

2019-07-22_08-05-23

So with an air of excitement and trepidation it was off with the masking, whilst trying not to snap any tail or main blades!

2019-07-22_08-05-42

Quite happy with those results, a little tidy up and I reckon we are good and ready for some gloss coat and then some decals! I may even get this done by the end of the month, but not counting my chickens just yet!

I did notice my tail rotor is looking strange. I painted the red with Vallejo signal red, over white gloss, but it almost has a metallic finish to it, almost seems to sparkle!

2019-07-22_08-05-06

Not really clear in this picture but its quite strange, I may have to go over the red again. But that's all for now, hopefully another update really soon!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 5

Well another gloriously nice week and next to bugger all modelling done! but I have got round to doing some stickers! The main set of decals are from the cutting edge set but that doesn't come with any stencil decals. The kit ones are next to useless because I have the German version and where I could get away with AngloFranco (?) stensilling for Canada, I wont get away with AngloGermanic! So I went through some spare Airfix ones because I used a separate RN set for my Mk1. I got the yellow on black for under the pilots side window but the other windows need red lettering with no background. I will also go through and hopefully have lots of "No Step' and 'No Push' and further oddities. I had to use a RN jet intake decal so I could get the white background on the Danger so its going to be a right hodge podge of decals. So here she is on the port side:

2019-07-28_08-39-37

And for the left, unfortunately whilst I drowned the decals in Micro Sol my thumb smudged the front decal to read Canadia… so I need to find a suitably sized "N" from somewhere. Not a great problem in the grand scheme of things but still a PITA!

2019-07-28_08-39-54

Well that's all for now, Happy Modelling!

Bob

• Like 3

On 30/06/2019 at 23:33, moaning dolphin said:

I then had a panic of dropping the front end onto the floor, after many lost battles to the carpet monster I decided to rip it up and go with hardwood flooring. No more carpet monster losses, hoorah! But then found a flaw in the plan, wood flooring wont go right up to the wall, especially by a heater, so guess where the part ended up?

Great Work on the Sea King, that livery looks great.

Get some cork fillet into that floor gap. It'll be virtually invisible and is soft enough to still allow for expansion.
No more 1/72 bear pit!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings one and all! Its been a bit of time since my last update in this *ahem* speed build, the reason being is that progress has been markedly slow. This Nova Scotian Summer is blistering along now, its nice and warm and inviting for doing other outdoor stuff and not sitting indoors! Also last week was my wife's 50th birthday week, so for once I wrapped up the kits and dedicated a week to her, its only a week every 50 years so I am quite happy with that sacrifice! Although in amongst all that I did manage to get some progress done...

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, andyf117 said:

....meanwhile, is it just the camera angles, or is there no antenna under the tailboom (yet)?

which leads me perfectly onto my first bit! @andyf117 you are correct there was none. I have now corrected this using plastic square section, I think it was 2X6mm, cut to size, shaped and rounded off. This was painted separately and then glued in position....nice and simples really..

20190819_214040

Here you can see it in position under the tail cone, it was all done by eye and looks the job (don't worry about the rest of the photo, I will cover those shenanigans later!)

Next on the list was the forward fairing under the nose, this would be a much more complicated shape as it is a teardrop shape that is radius and then has to fit the hull shape of the aircraft. I used the same square stock as the rear fairing, shaped it externally and then hollowed it out and shaped it to fit perfectly so I could paint it and just fit it without any extra rework, as you can see from this pick it fits nice and snug with no issues***

20190819_214128

*** This statement is unfortunately an untruth! The underside contour is so much more complex. I got the shape close and then glued it in place. There were gaps that needed filling, a bit of trimming here and there and a bit of tweaking required. Enough work to wreck the paint finish underneath that I had to spray part of the underside again, no biggie, ill just mask it off and respray, which I did......now go back to the previous picture and take note of what is left of the 'Royal Canadian Navy' decal under the cockpit window! 🤬 and yes it did it to both sides! Ooh I was slightly mad is a bit of an understatement. At the moment I don't have any suitable decals to cover them so I have had to carry on regardless.

I repainted the metallic red on the tail rotors so it looks normal now and built up the sponsons and rotor head. The canopy is still loose so remove this and fitted the seats and painted the quarterlights above the pilots in clear green (which explains the masking tape on the windows below), unfortunately the paint pooled in these as it dried, not a major show stopper but more work is required. So masking has been removed and here she is

20190812_193844

20190812_193858

20190812_193910

And after a little bit more work she is nearing completion...

20190819_214018

20190819_214040

20190819_214024

So she isn't RFI just yet, I still want to sort those rotor blades as they are just far too rigid and there are a couple of little tweaks id like to add, but I am getting there, albeit very slowly lol.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4