Decals sources please.

Hi

This is first post on Britmodeller apart my introduction in the New Members section.

I've just been giving my completed models a VERY overdue dusting. In the process, I've discovered that the decals on two of my kits are damaged well beyond repair.

So here is my of many first questions on Britmodeller -

Where can I get sets of decals for the following kits?

- Revell 1:144 scale Space Shuttle

- Revell 1:72 scale X15

Thanks

First stop for me would be to email Revell. 

Look up the kit codes on Scalemates.

https://https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=revell+space+shuttle

Then check on the Revell website for the instructions.

With those numbers provided to Revell they might be able/willing to supply you with new decals

11 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

Hi

This is first post on Britmodeller apart my introduction in the New Members section.

... Where can I get sets of decals for the following kits?

- Revell 1:144 scale Space Shuttle

- Revell 1:72 scale X15

Okay, the first of what I suspect will be many errors. The X-15 kit is 1/64, not 1/72.

8 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

Okay, the first of what I suspect will be many errors. The X-15 kit is 1/64, not 1/72.

Easy enough mistake to make, but it definitely affects your chances on finding replacement decals.  I don't believe Revell's "box scale" X-15 has been reissued for several decades, so the manufacturer won't be able to help and it's doubtful there's any aftermarket set available.

Short of getting a custom set printed, you might look into using spares from 1/72 kits - there will be a noticeable size difference, but Monogram and Special Hobby have both had X-15s in production fairly recently. You may also be able to use NASA tail bands or other "generic" markings from a 1/72 SR-71 sheet - in that case the scale difference works to your advantage as most markings on the Blackbird are larger.

The 1/144 Space Shuttle is a much easier solution if Revell has nothing for you. Several companies make shuttle kits in this scale, and most of the markings aren't "kit dependent."  Realspace Models makes an aftermarket set, and there are probably others available if those options don't work.

http://www.realspacemodels.com/decals-1/1144-space-shuttle-decals

5 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Easy enough mistake to make, but it definitely affects your chances on finding replacement decals.  I don't believe Revell's "box scale" X-15 has been reissued for several decades, so the manufacturer won't be able to help and it's doubtful there's any aftermarket set available.

Short of getting a custom set printed, you might look into using spares from 1/72 kits - there will be a noticeable size difference, but Monogram and Special Hobby have both had X-15s in production fairly recently. You may also be able to use NASA tail bands or other "generic" markings from a 1/72 SR-71 sheet - in that case the scale difference works to your advantage as most markings on the Blackbird are larger.

The 1/144 Space Shuttle is a much easier solution if Revell has nothing for you. Several companies make shuttle kits in this scale, and most of the markings aren't "kit dependent."  Realspace Models makes an aftermarket set, and there are probably others available if those options don't work.

http://www.realspacemodels.com/decals-1/1144-space-shuttle-decals

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Revell has occasionally re-issued the ex-Monogram X-15 A2 which is definitely 1/72 and quite a nice kit. The original Revell X-15 was in a "box" scale.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, Special Hobby/MPM has an X-15 A2 in their range so decals might be available for that too.

And, as has been already mentioned, there are a number of 1/144 Space Shuttle kits around - Airfix, Revell and Academy. Most 1/144 after market decals for the Shuttle can be used on any of these kits. Bear in mind however, that NONE of these kits are identical - some being more accurate than others. When I built my Academy Shuttle, I used the Cutting Edge set which also included tiles. Sadly, cutting edge is no longer in production but I recently was able to buy some tile decals made by Warbid Decals.

My Academy model with Cutting Edge decals - 

spacer.png