1/72 Airfix 109E

Another straight OOB build for "production" - as per my earlier Spit for presents , fleabay etc. I'm curious what will fetch more a Spit or a 109E? Thats the trader in me I suppose but I wonder if patriotic zeal will win out? Oh  and yes the props all spin now...

WIP here

stbd1%20copy.jpg

port2%20copy.jpg

front1%20copy.jpg

under1%20copy.jpg

port1%20copy.jpg

Thanks for tuning in

Anil

EDIT: Updated images, processed with the right settings

• Like 50

On 6/29/2019 at 6:50 PM, Farmerboy said:

That’s beautifully finished, good job!

Thanks Farmerboy

4 hours ago, Viking said:

That is absolutely beautiful!

Cheers

John

That is is nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my models. Coming from from a master modeller like yourself, that really counts. Huge thanks John.

Anil

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Very nice clean build. I wish I could get them that well finished. It must be perfect as nothing shows up in the photos and you know what photos do to a model.

Cheers Greg: Its got the required chips around the canopy but thats in full on macro, no normal eyeball would ever see it. Re the paint, my big idea I borrowed from our paint shops at work: An Integrated System- Primer, colorcoat and topcoats need to work perfectly together and it took me a year to perfect this: Mr Surfacer 1500, Mr Paint/Mr Color/Mr Hobby + leveling ( retarding) thinner, Gunze Super UV cut gloss, Gunze Super cut UV matt. Everything is touch dry usually in 30-60 minutes so you not only get a flawless finish but keep everything moving. 

The trick is realizing when the paints et al are dry as opposed to cured. Dry is solvent gassed out, Cured is maximum hardness of paint reached by various chemical processes that can take from 2-20 days. During the "dry" phase, you need to  be super careful to avoid dings etc. as the paint is very delicate albeit  dry to touch, but hey we are all super careful at Britmodeller aren't we?😉

Anil

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, azureglo said:

Cheers Greg: Its got the required chips around the canopy but thats in full on macro, no normal eyeball would ever see it. Re the paint, my big idea I borrowed from our paint shops at work: An Integrated System- Primer, colorcoat and topcoats need to work perfectly together and it took me a year to perfect this: Mr Surfacer 1500, Mr Paint/Mr Color/Mr Hobby + leveling ( retarding) thinner, Gunze Super UV cut gloss, Gunze Super cut UV matt. Everything is touch dry usually in 30-60 minutes so you not only get a flawless finish but keep everything moving. 

The trick is realizing when the paints et al are dry as opposed to cured. Dry is solvent gassed out, Cured is maximum hardness of paint reached by various chemical processes that can take from 2-20 days. During the "dry" phase, you need to  be super careful to avoid dings etc. as the paint is very delicate albeit  dry to touch, but hey we are all super careful at Britmodeller aren't we?😉

Anil

Thanks for the input Anil. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful clean build, looks perfect

15 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Beautiful!

I can now understand why 1/72 is called the "gentleman's scale", the kind words from all of you gents prove that! 

Many thanks to all who liked and commented

Anil

Great work Anil

A truly beautiful build.

From the thread I assume you are building and then offering your completed work(s) for sale online?

For me it would be a bit like parting with my first child OMG 🤣🤣🤣

Comedy over I'm sort of interested in who's out there and "why" do they want to purchase a kit built, painted and finished by someone else and.......what do they do with them!??

I'm just renovating my home and my wife has allowed me to include a built-in "cabinet of glory" (in the only room in the house she doesn't care about and she thinks no-one will see)

I hope that will give me enough room to store/display the kits I build and finish otherwise......maybe I'll put them out for sale!????  :) 

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Winenut said:

Great work Anil

A truly beautiful build.

From the thread I assume you are building and then offering your completed work(s) for sale online?

Comedy over I'm sort of interested in who's out there and "why" do they want to purchase a kit built, painted and finished by someone else and.......what do they do with them!??

I'm just renovating my home and my wife has allowed me to include a built-in "cabinet of glory" (in the only room in the house she doesn't care about and she thinks no-one will see)

I hope that will give me enough room to store/display the kits I build and finish otherwise......maybe I'll put them out for sale!????  :) 

Cheers

Bruce

That's great to hear from you Bruce. How's the renovation going? Cheers

19 hours ago, Winenut said:

Great work Anil

A truly beautiful build.

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers Bruce, if you have a gander on my current build , you'll find I have discovered a new solution I have found greatly assists in the decalling  stage: I think you'll approve. I'm already selling 2-3 a month direct to friends and folks at the flying club,  so this is was really sparked by this abomination.

There is healthy market for them on fleabay  including folk in Eastern Europe asking upwards of £120 for custom built grime encrusted, tartan panel lined 1/72s! As to why folk buy them: display pieces, as most of my flying buddies love airplanes but have neither the time, skill or patience to make them.  For most of them a proper scale model aces a £50 diecast so thats where I'm pitching them. I do them, as I said on my thread, as paid practice, and as they only take a few hours over 5-7 days, they don't interfere with my otherwise jam packed life. They pay for my kits, tools, materials and still show a decent surplus every month which I find healthy. Also healthy is the fact they are about interacting with the real world, non modellers, friends etc instead of hiding away for months every evening sticking tiny bits of etch to another and arguing about RML 63 on forums etc.

Re partners and storage/display, I'm pseudo single with a 20 something female friend with benefits, own a couple of houses and woe betide anyone who tells me  how much "stuff" I can have and it goes, they would hear the door slamming milliseconds after they were ejected with my sole imprint on their posterior...

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

It's so clean!  Here's the kit, no effects, strictly done right.  Box top worthy.  👌

Respect Jackson, my thoughts exactly, many a "weathered" kit has some seriously ropey building covered by the fake grime. A clean build photographed at high resolution is a great way to test your chops. BTW see this which inspired me no end

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/looking-for-a-home-for-this-diorama-t399850.html

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent finish Anil,just shows how much can be done with these little Airfix beauties.

Thanks Steve, as Ray from Plastic Pastimes told me many years ago (in one of his rare being nice to customer moments), there are no really bad kits, just lazy modellers. A bit extreme but pretty much everything in the end result comes down to good building and paintwork, the kit is just a canvas, mind you  some like the Clear Prop Gloster are one helluva a canvas! If you get a chance and you're at Telford this year go and see Tomoshenko's stunning Matchbox Fury: when I saw that in real life it proved that it was the builder not the kit that made the difference, something folk would do well to remember as they order a dozen of the latest and best thats just been released...

Thanks to all and hey, happy modelling!

Anil

• Like 1

Thanks for the great honest feedback

I agree totally

I personally have no idea why anyone buys something diecast and yes a nicely built and painted 1:72 scale offers so much more for me (but add a good amount of fragility!)

If I could build quickly and well and there was a market for them I'd do it!!!!!!!....but it takes me 6 months to finish a Hobby Boss easy assembly and paint it so I guess I'm out lol!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Winenut said:

If I could build quickly and well and there was a market for them I'd do it!!!!!!!....but it takes me 6 months to finish a Hobby Boss easy assembly and paint it so guess I'm out lol!

Try my new "setting solution" to speed things up, I have also successfully used the  "Shiraz" and "Cabernet Sauvignon" varieties as well...🍷

16 minutes ago, J Sherratt said:

That looks really good!

The Cat approves seemingly...this is good

9 hours ago, azureglo said:

Respect Jackson, my thoughts exactly, many a "weathered" kit has some seriously ropey building covered by the fake grime. A clean build photographed at high resolution is a great way to test your chops. BTW see this which inspired me no end

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/looking-for-a-home-for-this-diorama-t399850.html

I've seen that dio before and it always makes me smile.  While I enjoy weathering my own models, I agree it's no a way to cover up shoddy construction.  Weathering ought to reflect 1:1 realities of particular aircraft construction and environmental conditions.  Slavishly imitating what some bloke in Madrid does with his airbrush behind closed doors is right out for me.  😑

• Like 1

Very nice work.

I've started building one of these Airfix 109's myself recently (like, isn't everyone? 😁).

Problem is, they're all being done so well (judging by this forum) I just don't know if mine can ever make the grade.

Not to worry - it's great admiring your work while viewing it as something of a yardstick too.

:clap:

• Like 1