Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

Unbelievable work in 3D, I have done some 3D stuff in Rhino and had it printed out, it is always a satisfiying achievement to see it from the computer screen to something you can hold in your hand, but not to this level

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Or, wait, was it a trap? Wonder if Ced will fall for it.

It's a trap! All this talk of probes, superb though they may be, has me running for the hills :S 

• Haha 5

I don't know what it's like where you are but bitterly cold here today, which led to:

Scene 1: (Car interior) 'Out shopping with Mrs. B'

Male protagonist sits in car freezing his nuts off whilst trying to work out how to get its climate control to defrost said nuts. There is an air of tension as he struggles in the cold to read from the online manual on his phone screen, using an intermittent mobile data signal in rural Ireland.

🚗🥶

On 24/01/2021 at 13:33, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Another vote for A Confederacy of Dunces from me.  I love that book.

I can see why. I devoured it in a few days of late night giggling.

For some reason this guy reminds me of him - sans valve of course....

SmmJ.gif

On 24/01/2021 at 14:38, perdu said:

I would love to have been born with the number synapse fitted in the on position but at this late age I also have to accept that it isn't how my head works,

Your talking to a failure in CSE Mathematics (Kingston upon Thames 1981) here Bill. :laugh: My hopeless number skills not helped by the maths teacher being a psychotic Ulsterman called Mr. Hanna: he scared even the hard men in the class with a violent temper at any infraction of his fractions....

On 24/01/2021 at 15:12, bigbadbadge said:

All good here Tony thanks, except for no Snow unfortunately.   

It keeps threatening to snow here Chris (and is doing so again tonight) but is all forecast and no trousers.

On 24/01/2021 at 15:44, giemme said:

No kidding?

Would I kid you guys Giorgio? I mean to say, pshaw!... 😁

On 24/01/2021 at 17:07, Brandy said:

I had enough of that stuff in New England and I don't miss shoveling 3 feet of it off my driveway one little bit!

I only know how to shovel snow from American television Ian: I hope you were always dressed in regulation red check shirt, galoshes and a green peaked cap with ear mufflers when doing so.

On 24/01/2021 at 17:49, Pete in Lincs said:

They used to say that Military service in India (for instance) thins the blood. 

Hit it boys!

On 24/01/2021 at 19:18, kev67 said:

Unbelievable work in 3D, I have done some 3D stuff in Rhino and had it printed out, it is always a satisfiying achievement to see it from the computer screen to something you can hold in your hand, but not to this level

Most gracious of you to say so Kev. :thumbsup2:

As I've said more than once before on this thread, if an innumerate oik like me can do this kind of technical design, then anyone can.

Besides, CAD is only 50% technical skill, the remainder is made up from a mixture of magical incantations and unspeakable sacrifices! :rofl:

On 24/01/2021 at 22:35, keefr22 said:

About 5,000feet?

I like that.

I like that a lot Keith. 😁

On 25/01/2021 at 08:14, CedB said:

All this talk of probes, superb though they may be, has me running for the hills :S 

I feel sure that you're already aware of the very first episode of South Park Ced. 😁

I made wild boasts some time back about wanting to get a test print of the second aircraft out of the vat before January was out but it looks like it'll go down to the wire. Surprisingly good progress was made in spare moments over the week modifying and redoing the print layouts for XJ481 based on observations of the beast in its assembled form.

Over the last 2-3 days I made similar progress with doing all the hollowing out and support structures necessary to print XN708 as well:

50890860058_669a997c17_b.jpg

50890860023_63fac7d789_b.jpg

50891687357_173fcf1e0e_b.jpg

50891570111_8868f76faf_b.jpg

A not-inconsiderable task on this more complex version of the Vixen, constantly remembering/forgetting various bits and having to go back and add them in in a series of tiresome lacunae. A methodical modeller would no doubt have committed an index of parts to a spreadsheet but Excel is up there with Teams in my list of infernal software (add to that any software designed by - or for - academics).

I've been reading up recently on some of the more detailed print settings, so put an initial print of the fuselage and nose sections overnight last evening to find that one of the nicest/smoothest prints yet emerged from the vat by this morning. Such optimism was cruelly dashed however when the second print set failed completely. I didn't discover this until six hours after it had gone on, upon returning from shopping to find a thin mangled layer stuck to the FEP film instead of the build plate. I've had the odd ropey reproduction as you'd expect with the art as much as science of interacting light with a fluid substrate, but never a complete failure to print of this kind.

After much pondering at how the first print went so well and the second so badly, rather than a single discrete cause I believe it to have resulted from a combination of factors:

1. After the first print overnight I opened the studio windows this morning to vent any remaining resin fumes - as the temperature was warm enough last evening but dropped down to about 4°C while we were out, there was a large thermal difference while the second print run was on.

2. I forgot to wash the build plate in warm soapy water to get rid of any remaining IPA on it from cleaning off the resin.

3. The FEP film was a year old and probably due for renewing anyway.

I've put a new FEP film onto the vat now, this being the old one - considerably the worse for wear after me trying to prise the stuck resin bases off:

50891785907_639a093db1_b.jpg

Most of the suspect bases popped albeit off (albeit with some effort) but those pictured above were stuck fast.

Heater's been on in the studio all afternoon as well, as a precaution for the second attempt at set #2: providentially the printer has just beeped to so I'll pause melodramatically at this point to see how it looks.

48c68248912045.58a56eda8b692.jpeg

It looks like a decent set has emerged so fingers crossed that's the problem solved. :phew:

It's not terribly exciting to post shots with everything cocooned in support structures but here's a quick shot of it now curing behind me under UV as I write:

50892041837_2b8377a7f9_b.jpg

I've the wings on in the resin now overnight and hope to get the tail and engines printed through during the day tomorrow as well.

(That's enough 'phew' emoticons for one update - Ed.)

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Your talking to a failure in CSE Mathematics (Kingston upon Thames 1981)

What a lovely place to fail an exam. My exam failures all occured in the Croydon area 1970 - 1972. I did get some passes too though!

I have been most impressed with all aspects of your 3D work here Tony, but lately appreciate it so much more as I slowly work my way through some Fusion tutorials. Much respect!

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

50892041837_2b8377a7f9_b.jpg

Stonehenge by night? There's something evocative about that pic... :D

Looking forward to yet another amazing test print :popcorn:

Ciao

• Haha 7

Today in library corner.

16120846053716401778962628237534.jpg

Connelly is the current tome, then I will investigate the mystery of Confederency, reread Clapton and polish off the last twenty pages of Jonesbo.

Later I will read the Sundays with coffee and biscuits.

Modelling?

Modelling?

Who has time for modelling?

• Haha 5

Angsty old session earlier today but the price you pay for experimenting with print settings I guess. More on that in a bit. As per usual, nothing in the photos is sanded but shown as fresh out the vat.

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Exciting times Tony

And taxing.

Did I mention events taxing the patience Ced? 😁

18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Still no snow, just high wind and rain yet again!

Ditto Chris - a Gothic gloom all day here too.

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

What a lovely place to fail an exam. My exam failures all occured in the Croydon area 1970 - 1972. I did get some passes too though!

And look at where it got us both Terry - Britmodeller! :laugh:

I was in a comprehensive along the Richmond Rd until '83. Hardly a stellar educational environment and three of my class ended up doing stretches in Wandsworth instead of 'A' Levels.

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

More amazing craziness.

Timidity be damned dear heart!

7 hours ago, perdu said:

I am intensely astounded by the beauty of this process.

Liquid into solid via light continually amazes me too Bill - like living in a 70s scifi novel.

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Stonehenge by night? There's something evocative about that pic...

The Ancient Britons were well known for their reverence of aircraft tyres Giorgio, though the Drurotriges tribe of the Wessex region were considered apostates for their worship of the arrestor hook. To this day, ttheir ancestors can be found lurking in the Yeovilton area muttering the name of their god 'FAA!'.

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Connelly is the current tome,

Mr. Bosch never disappointed.

7 hours ago, Hamden said:

More nice progress Tony, even if one print failed.

Stay safe          

Thanks on both counts Roger.

I'm pretty sangiune about fails at the moment as it would be pretty unbelievable if every single shape/size combination came out bang-on first time out. Given the host of variables involved I'm still only developing that elusive 'feel' for that every process requires you to learn through practice.

6 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Marvellous work, I'm in awe...

Most kind Colin. :thanks:

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I've started to hand out buckets to collect the drool.

The 21st Century is not turning out to be the place that science fiction promised Pete...

Bad news first then: the overnight wing print was mixed in that the inner wings with all the main fold mechanism on came out fine, however, the outer sections developed a nasty gull-wing warp after curing from the aileron recess outward:

50894588641_4d4a1238dd_b.jpg

It might be necessary to go back to Fusion and look at introducing a spar or two down the length of that section internally.

Strong oblique light also shows a pronounced change in contour in line with the outer pylon. It's not terribly visible in normal lighting conditions but you can feel the change when you run a fingertip along it:

50893876293_282707e47d_b.jpg

These issues have never occurred on wing prints before; the one factor that is different from all the others is that these were oriented at a strong diagonal with supports along the leading edge (something I never usually do) to try and avoid too many support marring the wingfold. It looks like I'll have to revisit this decision and deal with tidying up the outer wingfold as a necessary evil.

Another annoyance was the nose section. The fairing on this for the later FAW.1 rain shedding gear around the canopy came out very nice:

50893876183_b4be773d4a_b.jpg

Buuuut, some unpleasant shrinkage of the curved profile occurred just behind the front bulkhead that sits behind the radar gear.

You can see the bulkhead profile quite pronounced against the outer fuselage:

50893876223_60299f0167_b.jpg

Need to ponder the causes of that tbh as to whether it's a printing artefact, or happens subsequently during curing. :hmmm:Pity as the actual smoothness of the rest of that nose is the best I've achieved yet with print settings.

A plate full of Vixen then to show you that most everything else so far did fine:

50894707562_09aa66bf43_b.jpg

The rear fuselage print preserved a lot of the subtle ribbing along the walls of the engine bays ( which I wasn't at all sure would be the case at only 0.2mm surface relief):

50894707597_51b7b6314f_b.jpg

A little bit of damage caused by removing a support that was too close to the bay floor so I'll need to reposition it a little higher next time:

50894707642_893e7bcbc5_b.jpg

The inner wingfolds came out nice and sharp, along with their attendant hinges sticking up:

50893875993_5fa0e74b37_h.jpg

I even remembered to print the main linkages for them this time!

50893876158_90a52c0d8f_b.jpg

Arrestor bay in the exhaust fairing similaly sharp:

50893876063_2719a363f1_b.jpg

Same for the RAT bay up top, though I forgot to add a support for the angled part inside there that the RAT mounts onto:

50894588476_89be86bf50_b.jpg

That's the bulk of the big bits.

Undercarriage parts performed well too:

50894707757_ce69c504d2_b.jpg

50894588551_e1b9b941b3_b.jpg

I was particularly pleased at finding an orientation to print the main oleo and strut in all as one piece, thus avoiding any tricky assembly and making sure they are correctly aligned.

The three drums that form the top of the radar installation:

50894588431_0d317729e8_b.jpg

(Those are drain holes in the front to let excess resin out - easily patched)

This is the bit that I mentioned to @giemme a post or two back as being borderline printable at 1/72 - the tip of the refuelling probe - came out with details intact (the parts flanking it on either side being for the 'stalk' in front of the radar dish):

50894707722_c89b88b99d_b.jpg

These below though are the two bits I'm weirdly most chuffed about - the detailing on the inside of the port inspection door for the radar, and on the right, the 'dragon' like head of the altazimuth mechanism for the radar dish:

50894707797_c59a5a4292_b.jpg

The hole in the top of the latter did survive printing so it should be possible to stick some 0.3mm brass rod in there to have a radar dish that rotates...

Overall then mixed results, but nothing that's really surprising in terms of the problems encountered. I've run out of time to do any more this weekend though so it'll be back to grabbing bits of time here and there over the week, with the intention of putting some revised prints on next weekend.

Take care of yourselves and we'll speak anon.

Tony

• Like 18

27 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

The 21st Century is not turning out to be the place that science fiction promised Pete...

So true. Still don't have a hover car. 

27 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

but you can feel the change when you run a fingertip along it:

Ooh! Suits You Sir!

There's some lots of really lovely printing in your pictures. The 21st Century may not be that bad after all.

Though I'm disappointed that we didn't get big circular space stations. 

• Haha 5

On 24/01/2021 at 00:42, TheBaron said:

What the hell was this diagonal cloud up to?

50866387871_4f7fee0e46_c.jpg

Pillar of cloud by day and all that.

I see your agreement and raise you some more agreeing CJ! :thumbsup2:

:laugh:

I've got your next anniversary present covered I think then Michael:

2751814.jpg

Mr. Schenck wrote some singularly odd stuff at times and this is up there.

(The cover artist a Victor fan obvs.)

Nice to have you along btw. :thumbsup2:

Nice to met you Kevin.

Ignatius eh? Think I've been in the Irish version of the Night of Joy on more than one occasion in younger days.... :laugh:

Brilliant Bill. :thumbsup2:

It's bordering on a human rights issue to see someone having to give up an MG in my book Bill - have you considered just swapping out power sources at a future date?

These guys from Holland have an offshoot down in Co. Cork currently doing a raring trade at present converting petrol/diesel/classic motors into EVs - the going rate for something like a top range BMW saloon is I think about €6k at present (expect prices to fall consistently year-on-year as more open source stuff and cheaper batteries become available). There have to be some equivalent outfits over in the UK; given that things in this neck of the woods tend as a rule to be more expensive here , would imagine that price would be shaved down considerably on your side of the pond.

A visually unexciting morning's work under the belt so will only detain you with a single picture of the parts inventory for XN708:

50865655938_0ea0ac2b63_b.jpg

About 50% larger in number than XJ481 due to undercarriage and radar &etc.

Over the course of the week or so I'll start putting these together with supports in Chitubox and begin printing them out for a test assembly.

Lunchtime and bacon sarnies beckon to warm the cockles on this cold day.

May you keep warm yourselves and if not, may something warming in bottle or pot be close at hand to assist.

Tony

Tony, I'll put that book on the list!   ABE comes in pretty useful at times! ;)

• Like 1

Excellent results Tony.   The interior of the engine bays is particularly pleasing.

Regarding the wing warping:  This is the first time you've experienced it and put it down to print orientation?   I've just started 3D'ing a Wapiti and will be printing it eventually and the wings are probably the most worrying aspect from a print/warp perspective.

In the past I've got around warp issues by several methods. One method was to clamp the printed part to a aluminum sheet and leave it out in the sun for half an hour - of course, that all depends upon the geometry of the part and whether its suitable for clamping like that. 

My other method was to daylight cure in stages.  I had concerns about heat from the UV lamps contributing to the warp, so I'd place parts outside in daylight for only 5 minutes or so, then later for as long as I think it needed.  I'm sure I had some logical scientific reasoning going on in my head though I'll be darned if I can think of it now.  I have to say though that both methods appeared to work.

you are definitely taking this all to a whole new level and I continue to be amazed and astounded each time I visit this thread - long may it continue !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm with hendie - astounding! :) 

I know you'll sort out the few minor problems, you won't be able to help yourself!

Amazing stuff Tony, superb details.

• Thanks 1