Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

Excuses excuses.  Though I think we'll let you pass with that one Tony.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery 

At least they didn't give you an enema, then tell you "the toilet? Oh, down that corridor, second left, hang a right and it's the last room on the left"

Yes.  That happened. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Sorry to hear that Tony, all the best for a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

At least the plus side is that if they need to remove anything you'll be able to print a replacement!

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for your kind thoughts all. :heart:

Sprung from hospital at lunchtime today and home now, knackered from an unexpected week and chastened by the knowledge that we are basically just plumbing capable of conscious thought.

Seen more needle in the last few days than a Rangers/Celtic Derby &etc. etc...

Have to return for a further operation in a few weeks' time but for now, a couple of days rest should see me oop and aboot.

Until next time, happy modelling (and other lesser aspects of existence)...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

1 hour ago, perdu said:

With you on the plumbing remark too, scary innit too.

I'm with you both re my plumbing. When my body came into this world, all my internal plumbing was most definitely in imperial yet as I went through life, metrication has taken its toll on some of the key bits I swear!

Good to hear you are back home Tony. Speedy recovery we hope.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Good to see you back home in the expectable environment for you. Always of the opinion "Less hospital is more, if you can" with everything that comes with it (especially then with home made food).  Good recovery.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I missed the midweek news of your ailment and have only just done a catch up.

I'm very glad to hear that you are home again and fairly leakproof. (New grommets?)

Take your time and get well soon. Best wishes, Pete

• Haha 3

Revived by your kind messages I thought it about time yesterday evening that I got off my posterior and did something pragmatic to get the brain and hands back in action, starting with the chassis of the observer's seat:

50416856627_6923bdccc5_b.jpg

The main trade-offs here are between getting a reasonably accurate expression (is it my imagination that many kit/AM Vixen seats at 1/72 are decidedly anorexic looking?) of Martin Baker's lifesavers within the bounds of printability, but always with an eye upon subsequent assembly and mounting to the other parts.

50416693561_c768a68386_b.jpg

Mulling things over whilst in hospital I realized that I could save some time by using the same rails and headrest for each seat whilst having the rest of the parts as interchangeable modules, thus allowing both observer and pilot seating to be built upon a common carcass.

50416001633_cc867b097b_b.jpg

Seen against the main side reference I have, I'm pretty happy with the main profile:

50416001583_1f4888cd49_b.jpg

Next up was to spend some time on the upholstery, starting with the observer's side:

50416856682_b8168c4469_b.jpg

I left the seat pan out here so the underlying forms can be seen. These could of course have been left off and Milliput used to build up detail of this nature but in this case, I want to see how more organic shapes print out as resin. I used a different process for these than used on the more geometric/regular form of the aircraft, in this case using form modelling to sculpt the shapes in a more amenable fashion. Some adjustments were needed for the pilot's version, due to the added shoulder pan at head height:

50416856702_c60c201b73_b.jpg

At this scale, the webbing and straps are in my judgement better left to more traditional foil/tape methods of construction to be added in individual layers for visual effect at the construction stage: you can probably make out that I made a couple of holes in the front of the drogue container for the face screen handle, which again will look better being added separately later rather than printed. Same for the seat firing handle down at the front of the pan as well.

The sculpting tools in Fusion have gotten a lot more flexible even in the short time that I've been using the software so various elements didn't take that long to form up in space.

A couple of better renders with seat pans and rails added:

50416001728_c808c14613_b.jpg

50416001703_ba4f424c6d_b.jpg

All very nice of course but what are the visuals like with them in place inside the nose section?

50416693756_54b193bca2_b.jpg

50416693741_baa1dd927b_b.jpg

One element I'm leaving out (in order to avoid complicating the actual construction process later is an angular bracket at from the top of the rails of the observer seat that fixes it up against the roof, just under the rear of the coal hole door (circled in red):

50416856762_b8dbdb26da_b.jpg

It's something not visible usually on reference photography taken from outside the cockpit, but I noticed this feature present in one or two of the shots James passed on to me from his archive.

Vertical clearance also a matter of concern if you intend leaving in this direction at high speed:

50416856857_f42c3e9de1_b.jpg

Starting to look like an actual working environment inside there now instead of just a hollow interior:

50416856892_4d8a7826fd_b.jpg

Nest stop then is to begin adding the cockpit IPs and sundry structures inside of there:

50416693796_f6c92a55b0_b.jpg

Mightn't happen for a while though as the first of many hectic weeks at work beckons on Monday.

Take care of yourselves until next time all of you.

:bye:

Tony

PS. Final image - a storm rolling in from Galway bay seen from the hospital room on Tuesday evening of last week:

50398781441_3ee10b75ed_h.jpg

• Like 17

Now that the cockpit is taking shape (lovely job on the seats, BTW), I'm very curious to see how the printout of the front section will come out, with all the slots and carves for canopy sill and actual cockpit structure :popcorn:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

Heavens to Murgatroyd, there's no stopping you Tony!

Glad that you are well enough to resume Vixen sexperimentation!

For that period the seat cushions were proper chunky brown leather things that didn't feature a top covering, there was a soft survival pack valise fitted underneath in the seat pan. The cushion overhangs the seat base at the legs and has a gap for the lower firing handle access.

This, as opposed to the later hard shell PSP and sheepskin cover affair found on many seats.

Super renditions, keeps the audience wanting more!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back from the brink, and with such lovely seats too.

Take it easy at work! We are but Human, (well, most of us) and as such can be frail at times*.

*Especially after even a short period in Hospital.

• Thanks 1