Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

So, we're now on Monty Brythonmodeller.com eh? Like it.

As for the Avon, well, was the result ever in doubt? (Quiet in the naughty corner!) 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You'd swear I'm almost beginning to understand how bits of this work now

I think all of us are climbing up the learning curve on this one.

I like the ink idea, very effective. It makes the Avon look even better.

Congrats to your eldest, but don't be too hard on Mr Clarke. The editors of the Eagle and Gerry Anderson must surely share the blame?

I'll forgive them though for all the pleasure they've given me over the decades. (Not saying how many, BTW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 09/09/2020 at 22:34, michaelc said:

I agree, but my only question is, where the heck is he going to get the pilot?!? :)

I understand he has some sort of arrangement with Dr Frank N Furter. Best not to probe that one too closely!

We are on page 57 and at last I have got some idea as to what is going on! Nice.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Absolutely brilliant!

Now if someone can develop a faster printing process that would allow for high volume production.......

AW

you're suggesting to make a squadron...or two?  One carrier based, the other land based????? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tony, sorry if this has been raised before; with all of the work that has been, is being done, will the undercart need strengthening in any way?  The resin prints should hold the overall new weight of the model?  Or is the weight difference not a factor?

Michael

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning results Tony - that Avon has to be one of the most detailed parts I've seen at this scale. 

Imagine the PE and fiddly bits a 'standard manufacturer' would produce.

Lovely stuff and very realistic.

Congrats to the eldest too. Fusion may be a bit of a stretch but hydrogen fuel cells should be on his list!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having had a chance to sleep (despite the windy night battering the eaves) and inwardly digest yesterday's output, I woke up with answers to a few of the problems thrown up by the ensuing assembly process:

1. The tight longitudinal fit of the engine into the bay can remedied simply by sticking the rear spectacle beam/exhaust fairing on after inserting the engine, not before - as I did yesterday. (This removes the need to push it forward into the intake tunnel at an angle and risk damaging either part or paintwork). rather obvious when you think about I I suppose....

2. The additional air conditioning pipework (about to be built) that runs alongside rib 0 from front to rear pierces the central 'arch' separating rear - mid engine bay openings - it makes sense to build and print this arch and pipework as a single part so that they can be added simply and robustly during assembly (as well as allow the modeller to leave them off entirely if they want more of the engine exposed).

3. Based on how the engine printed yesterday, I don't think I need separate the front compressor section from the main 'tunnel' (as I'd done for this test print), but will print the front 'boss' of it separately to avoid making painting of the internal details of this region too complicated.

4. The rear turbine blade section will still be printed separately however, as there need to be flat surfaces on the front section of both it and the rear of the 'tunnel' to which supports can be added that would otherwise damage delicate details inside the rear.

5. The sides of the engine bays are visible enough around the engine that I need to add some basic  representative frame &etc. surface details in order to maintain the required sense of realism.

An additional problem at the back of my mind for a while has been whether or not this aircraft in assembled form will rock back onto its tail bumpers, given the nose-up orientation of the actual aircraft on its undercarriage. I've frankly no idea how to work this out at present, though a crude CG test on the edge of a ruler shows that thus far the bulk of the weight is in the rear section so far:

50336751786_3e0f4bcaae_b.jpg

Added to that of course will be the additional forward weight of engines. cockpit and radar (on '708 anyway); if that's not enough I can always include an internal slot under the cockpit section to secrete a bit of fishing weight in guess....

Anyway, to correspondence.

23 hours ago, bbudde said:

Well done and state of art with a 3D printer.

Thank-you Benedikt - with the sheer variety of shapes involved, it's a continual learning curve in terms of working-out what you can design and how the subsequent material process of turning it into a physical object integrate with one another. A bit like that line from Peter Gabriel's Mercy Street:

'Looking down on empty streets, all she can see
Are the dreams all made solid
Are the dreams all made real

All of the buildings, all of those cars
Were once just a dream
In somebody's head'

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

Your manual for the Avon 204 is absolutely fine for this build,

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Quite a few of the parts and shapes are different so caution needed at times, however immensely useful for identifying components and their relationships to one another.

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

I remembered they are burners because I had to remove, clean and refit a set in fairly short order.

Actual footage :laugh::

23 hours ago, hendie said:

congratulations on a successful print Tony - it looks great. 

Thanks Alan - you don't of course need me to mention that state of anxiety that exists between pushing the 'print' button and subsequently lifting the red box off to see what's emerged from the primeval resin at the end! 😁

23 hours ago, hendie said:

This was an ambitious project to start with but you have really got it tamed and the end product is really going to be a project to be proud of

Gracious of you.

I'm acutely aware how much your own work inspired me into developing into this area in the first place back in last winter so:

*doffs Homburg whilst offering cigar from case

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Suitably and utterly gobsmacked!!!!

Get cracking El Tel. I want to able to say the same about yours in due course! 😁

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Nuts.

It's the.

Attention grabbed again by the.

You must be a genius, nuts has been oft'times used to describe geniuses.

Bellamy: Hey, kid, they haven’t got you in the nut ward again?

Oddball: Ah, Bellamy, for cryin’ out loud. That’s the the stinking, most awful, stupid joke and you’re always pullin’ that stinking awful stupid joke.

From a craftsperson of your calibre Bill, the compliment is deeply held at this end. Thank-you. 🤗

23 hours ago, perdu said:

And the 'Want, the unsustainable want' for this technology and the mental aptitude to drive it is driving me nuts.

On the subject of want, I've always wanted a proper Sea Vixen at 1/72 and came to realize - late in life perhaps - that if no-one was going to give me one,  that I was going to have to do it myself.

- Plus I did get given a beautiful Palouste to start it up with! :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Brandy said:

Since the few words available in the English language to adequately describe this have either already been used or aren't usable here, I'll just echo the others.

Kind of you Ian - my thanks! I may have to paint the wings with wood effects in tribute to you for that... 😁

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

That engine looks better than a proper  kit version.

Very decent of you Simon - appreciate that. :thumbsup2:

Have to say though that as far as the SV at this scale, it's not what one might call a crowded field of competitors is it? :laugh:

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Impressive. I want one. Or two. And the printer. And being able to do 3d modelling.

Am I asking too much?

Not wishing to avoid answering this Giorgio, but I would have to say that on the face of it, upon mature reflection, serious consideration and with regard to the pertinent factors involved, that there is a secure case here for the matter to be referred - in the fullness of time and without prejudice to possible outcomes - to a committee to be set up with a firm remit to institute rigorous inquiries with a view to publishing an unequivocal set of conclusions on the matter at an undefined date in the future, prior to these outcomes being passed to a subsequent committee who will form a view on whether the initial committee was in fact warranted in being established upon the grounds stated.

But don't hold me to that.... 😁

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I think all of us are climbing up the learning curve on this one.

It's nice to have companions on  the voyage Pete! 😄

I like the ink idea, very effective. It makes the Avon look even better.

It occurred to me that it would be a useful thing to try from watching a friend inking up a printing plate and the way that the invisible etched drawing would suddenly pop forth when the ink gathered in the recesses. The grey resin on its own isn't a very photogenic material in terms of visually defining depth and structure.

Congrats to your eldest, but don't be too hard on Mr Clarke. The editors of the Eagle and Gerry Anderson must surely share the blame?

I'll forgive them though for all the pleasure they've given me over the decades.

Those are fair comments Pete and I wish to associate myself with all of them except Eagle, which was before my time. I was more of the 'Hookjaw' in Action comic era.

X3GsDkjuGbxkYBL82G1HSH69QuWLuGWhn5rOc5pZ

20 hours ago, Martian said:

I understand he has some sort of arrangement with Dr Frank N Furter. Best not to probe that one too closely!

Oi! No probing in public!

To the step in Valles Naughticus  with you. :chair:

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ding dong, Avon calling. 

:laugh: Thanks Chris.

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Brilliant! Nothing else. Carry on. 

It's a Carry On on here most days if we're honest Keith!

00124d9e-1600.jpg

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

and any other expletive you can think of

This audience is defined by its expletives Roger. 

It's why the mods have to filter our language... 😆

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

That is pure art!

Good luck to your son as he embarks on his next life journey, must be very proud in Baron towers!

Thanks on both counts James.

The lad's been preternaturally calm about the whole application process, whereas his mother and I have spent the summer wait lamenting that laudanum is no longer freely available....

13 hours ago, Andwil said:

Now if someone can develop a faster printing process that would allow for high volume production.......

Regrettably Elegoo have released a newer version of the Mars that has a 25% less print time, but with financial costs involved of rapidly changing technology, I'm not in a position to keep buying new gear each cycle. Plus it's too easy to get sucked into that  culture of instant disposability, which environmentally has long been beyond sustainable...

I reckon that there are still greater time efficiencies that I can pull of out the existing model I have, if i invest a bit more time in playing with orientation and layer heights for example.

12 hours ago, michaelc said:

you're suggesting to make a squadron...or two?

This is how wars start! :rofl:

12 hours ago, michaelc said:

The resin prints should hold the overall new weight of the model?  

An important question Michael. :nodding:

Both main and nose gears that I printed out back in the summer have pretty solid central pillars ( a tribute to their FAA lineage of course) so at this stage I'm not anticipating needing to change anything just yet. It's one of those questions that until I have it sitting up on it's legs with the full weight of components aboard, I won't be able to give a definitive answer to.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Absolutely stunning results Tony - that Avon has to be one of the most detailed parts I've seen at this scale. 

Imagine the PE and fiddly bits a 'standard manufacturer' would produce.

Most kind of you Ced. :thumbsup2:

An expert such as Alan would be able to discuss the matter knowledgeably, but from my limited perspective I suspect the differences between injection moulding and the print process account for many of the ways features are reproduced. I'm not constrained by having to work to a mould for example, which gives far greater freedom in even simple matters such as whether detailed bits can be printed as part of a larger structure, or separately to be glued on later. There's also much detail that can't be convincingly reproduced in flat form from PE at this scale, as I found out back on the Anson in having to reject so much of the Flightpath set.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Congrats to the eldest too. Fusion may be a bit of a stretch but hydrogen fuel cells should be on his list!

He's got until the end of term.... 😆

Right.

No progress on here for the rest of today as I've got to cut the lawn and grout a bathroom.

Speak to you all during the week.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

Elegant discourse

I, myself, have returned triumphant from a mission to paint our binstore

But still have not returned to painting a recalcitrant tail rotor.

Things we do to avoid wakening mojo...

To return to the germane Tony, I see you considering assembling the spectacle frame after positioning the Avon's.

Logical of course but leaves me wondering how much actual assembling will you be planning when you can actually build almost all of it in one piece on the Elegoo?

(One of my biggest idiocies is that this really is how my daft mind operates on its own platform, sorry mate)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Not wishing to avoid answering this Giorgio, but I would have to say that on the face of it, upon mature reflection, serious consideration and with regard to the pertinent factors involved, that there is a secure case here for the matter to be referred - in the fullness of time and without prejudice to possible outcomes - to a committee to be set up with a firm remit to institute rigorous inquiries with a view to publishing an unequivocal set of conclusions on the matter at an undefined date in the future, prior to these outcomes being passed to a subsequent committee who will form a view on whether the initial committee was in fact warranted in being established upon the grounds stated.

But don't hold me to that....

Have you been watching "Yes Minister" that sounds very familiar just like Sir Humphrey!

Roger

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Get cracking El Tel. I want to able to say the same about yours in due course!

Well as a first step I was bought this for my Birthday (which happens to be today) , which I'm thinking will help ease me in......

IMG20200912144203

I also went through the steps to download Fusion 360 this afternoon only to find my iMac OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) no longer supports Autodesk Fusion 360. I already had a sneaking bad feeling about that as the iMac was purchased in 2015 and the OS is getting rather dated. So some time has been spent deciding which OS to go to next. OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) is looking like the favourite and would seem to be compatible with my iMac. Then of course when that's decided, the process of backups and upgrade needs to happen. For someone who spent a good two thirds of my working life in IT (of many and varied roles inc technical and management), I tend to avoid IT like the plague these days, but needs must......!!!

However, a plan is forming and we are moving in the right direction.

You have much to answer for sir!

Terry

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I, myself, have returned triumphant from a mission to paint our binstore

A triumph is a triumph Bill and to be taken wherever we an find it! 😁

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Logical of course but leaves me wondering how much actual assembling will you be planning when you can actually build almost all of it in one piece on the Elegoo?

(One of my biggest idiocies is that this really is how my daft mind operates on its own platform, sorry mate)

We're on the same wavelength Bill in such matters. :nodding:

Occam's Ladyshave is the guiding impulse here, with the key factors determining how many parts we end up with being:

• Physical size - i.e., will it actually fit on the printing plate?
  • Can a part(s) be successfully supported for printing without having lots of support contact points marring the surrounding areas and requiring a tedious and prolonged clean-up afterwards? (This immediately excludes lots of internal/external combinations on a single printed part, for example.
  • Orientation. To avoid suction and having a vertical print that takes ages, ideally you want parts to be printed at a 40-45 degree angle to the build plate - this may then end up with some regions around a part not being able to receive supports from below and require separate printing as a consequence.
  • Some parts such as wing fence and radar dish will be brass.
  • Painting - no point doing a lovely single part that has inaccessible regions at the painting stage (compressor blades/intake ducts spring immediately to mind!)

Much of this only becomes apparent along the way so it's a constantly speculative undertaking - I reckon I'll need to get the cockpit and nose sections near completion before being able to give you an informed part count but wouldn't be surprised if we're somewhere in the 40s minimum.

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

the manual should be good for the basic engine (Engine Change Unit), the ancillaries would come from the Sea Vixen manual and reference pics.

We're cool. :thumbsup2: Reference photos are the primary source for shape and size, with the manual largely  a means of identifying what I'm looking at.

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Have you been watching "Yes Minister" that sounds very familiar just like Sir Humphrey!

😁

Like many who work in institutions, I'm constantly assailed at work by such BS literature from upper management Roger - most of it simply a way of using professional language to camouflage the mediocre minds behind it. The killing joke is that it is the easiest stuff in the world to churn out in bulk as it requires neither wit nor empathy.

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

However, a plan is forming and we are moving in the right direction.

That's brilliant to hear Terry - splendid news! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

You have much to answer for sir!

Blame @hendie - it was him wot got me into this lark! :laugh:

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Wow, great to see all this work turning in to some lovely plastic, that's amazing

Kind of you Neil - I must get over to check how the B-17's progressing ! :thumbsup2:

56 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hmmm, I think the Mods should order you to retitle this thread. 'Carry on Printing the Python, Sir Humphrey'.

You don't think that 'An Island of Calm Reason' truly represents the various contributions to this thread then Pete? :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

But don't hold me to that....

If this model thing doesn't work out, there's a career in Interplanetary Diplomacy waiting for you. It is my understanding that the United Worlds of the Solar System are seeking a new Ambassador to Mars. Use me as a reference.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

It is my understanding that the United Worlds of the Solar System are seeking a new Ambassador to Mars. Use me as a reference.

Does it come with the uniform Michael?

Thuvia-Maid-of-Mars-Ballantine.jpg

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The present incumbent being in dire need of a major overhaul......

(Starts digging slit trench to avoid incoming) :bomb:

I hear he's currently getting his bottom scraped and mast adjusted.

(Shift over - I need to join you in the trench)...

• Haha 5