Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

On 7/10/2019 at 7:05 AM, Fritag said:

BTW - did Crisp ever finish his 1/48 one?

Yes, he did; FAW1 with nose in the air having just caught a wire on the deck of Ark Royal 4.  Though to be fair he never did a RFI.  She sits safely in a sturdy box in my loft, awaiting a day when I finally acquire some sort of facility to actually put my rare finished models on display.  See also Gazelle HT2 and Seafire FR46.

• Like 7

I know the Vixen is not started yet But !!

Look I find another great model for you Dear Baron !

66649843_676420172781267_2345059582499356672_n

What do you think about ???

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Blast, late again, will have to watch this one on the big screen erected out side.

Did bring a couple of "Fluids" to lubricate the masses .

Have we still got the BBQ pit we used while you were away?

If so, I get some food sorted.

Soak up some of the ale.

Simon.

• Haha 2

Oooooooo looking forward to these Tony, great background and should be very interesting. I did one in 48th using the lovely Airfix kit and Allycat FAW.1 conversion.

Cracking looking machine.

Good luck with your builds, although you won't need the luck as your skills are now legendary .

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

Waiting for glue to dry on the Anson and realized I'd been neglecting the chrysalis over here...

On 7/9/2019 at 11:55 PM, Neil Lambess said:

For what it's worth the Cyberhobby kit has the best boom shape for a FAW 2 the issue with the other kits is that when viewed from the top (ie looking down on the pointy front of the booms ) they are all too fat and blunt and not pointy enough . (The high planes kit been the worst offender) the error stems from a deHavilland . 3 view that is full of similar blunders. ALSO In my view the issue with the frog nose is largely an optiCal illusion due to the canopy railing been way too deep as it goes down the fuselage side ...scrape it away by about 2/3rds and the nose section ahead of the intakes looks considerably slimmer and longer ! 

Thanks for the info Neil. :thumbsup2:

I'm going to be doing up some digital overlays between kits parts and reference images before committing to particular modifications anyway. The Frog nose will in any case be replaced due to building the TV gubbins for the Martel trials.

Jets.  1/72.  A Baron build.  How wonderful; individually all interesting but collectively unmissable :D

(Of course any build from you is unmissable really Tony)

Sir; I blush at your wanton flattery. :winkgrin:

Clearly we’re Gonna learn a lot about a lovely aircraft.

Largely I suspect from those more knowledgable than myself who shall endeavour to keep me from Vale Perilous. :nodding:

On 7/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

She sits safely in a sturdy box in my loft, awaiting a day when I finally acquire some sort of facility to actually put my rare finished models on display.

There are many on here who would support your funding application Crisp....

https://www.heritagefund.org.uk/our-work/museums-libraries-and-archives

On 7/14/2019 at 9:31 AM, corsaircorp said:

Look I find another great model for you Dear Baron ! 

66649843_676420172781267_2345059582499356672_n

Frack me CC I've seen it all now! 🤣

Stabbing the enemy from above was never going to replace the bomb as a strategic concept in my opinion.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:49 AM, robvulcan said:

This looks fun I’m in :popcorn:

Glad to have you Rob. :thumbsup2:

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

If so, I get some food sorted.

Soak up some of the ale.

A man with a clear moral compass. Welcome brother. 😁

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Has he started yet?

No, but I can see you bloody well have! :rofl:

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

you won't need the luck as your skills are now legendary .

According to the Oxford English Dictionary I should now feel very old and partially discredited Chris...

"a story from ancient times about people and events, that may or may not be true;"

:rofl:

I mentioned over on the Anson thread that I'd made a further discovery relating to XN708 whilst away on holiday - am waiting on a book in connection with this and will relate further details once it arrives.

Dying to get the teeth into this build but daren't take focus off the current Anson until it's finished. Be strong and we'll get through this difficult time together... :grouphug:

• Haha 7

We can/WILL wait

(First impression of that Superfortress was aha, a cunning device to allow the use of Upkeep on daylight missions. A resettable depth gauge)

I filed huge amounts of plastic off the tail booms on my Sea Vixen, should have saved it to put in a bottle of Gloop..

😁

• Haha 3

Now look here, I've been sitting outside with the Dray on tickover for so long I've got to go and refuel!

Not to mention the three parking tickets. Tsk. I'll be back nearer the start time, Looks like it'll be well worthwhile.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Now look here, I've been sitting outside with the Dray on tickover for so long I've got to go and refuel!

Not to mention the three parking tickets. Tsk. I'll be back nearer the start time, Looks like it'll be well worthwhile.

Should of gave a shout Pete.

I would helped to unload it.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nope, dear @TheBaron this B-29 has been converted as an HUF relay for the television

At least officially, Hence the HHHUUUGGGEEE antennas !!

Still in your comfort zone..

Something like a Super Anson !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I would helped to unload it.

19 hours ago, perdu said:

always happy to help

Well this odd looking green bloke wandered off with a bottle in each tentacle (carefull!) didn't he share them?

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well this odd looking green bloke wandered off with a bottle in each tentacle (carefull!) didn't he share them?

Well I needed to keep hydrated, I find your Earth climate a bit on the hot side, even in what you laughingly pass off as winter and there's nothing worse than a shrivelled up tentacle. Try sunbathing on Mars at any time of the year and see how far you get!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

and there's nothing worse than a shriveled up tentacle.

OOer! and, if I may, f'nar woof bark!

There we have it, folks, Martians need to be cool. It's a box of ice cubes for Christmas then. 🎄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Minor update on Foxy Lady

She was at Yeovilton displaying her lower bits which dont seem too far advanced in the repair stakes

I didn't get the chance for a chat but suspect finances are slowing down the repairs

P1010417-1.jpg

Always nice to see her though huh

P1010418.jpg

I would love the chance to see her in flight one day

Soon would be good

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Don’t hold your breath on soon, Bill.  They need to raise the money, and it’s not a small amount.  Navy Wings clearly still intend to return her to flight eventually, because they are still doing a lot of routine maintenance on the airframe, plus taking the opportunity to work on areas that are normally hard to get at (like the engine bats). [Or even the engine bays - thanks, auto-correct]

But operating vintage aircraft is not a cheap game, and they also have 2 Swordfish (3 actually, but not sure we’re going to see the Mk.III airborne any time soon), 2 Sea Furies (the T20 flying and the FB11 airworthy but with engine currently inhibited) and a Sea Hawk (in deep suspension at ?Cosford, but still technically airworthy) to run... not to mention the whole business of transferring all these aircraft to new legal ownership on the civil register in the past year.

So it’s going to be a case of “patience, Grasshopper”

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I could see the improvements over two years ago and I knew it would be awkward for them

I am looking into joining NW myself before my next visit but it is difficult to commit to taking more out my limited pension pot

Sea Hawk at Cosford, are they using it as an instructional or simply in safe storage?

• Like 2

By the way

Two or more years since she slid to an ungainly halt

Lots of dismantling and other maintenance since so look at the floor under the engine bays

Yes she is still steadfastly leaking avtur, the aroma of my youthful dreams

I smelt it as Bill2* and I arrived along the Navy Wings enclosure, but it was even better earlier as we smelt the Alize and the other French contributions wash the apron with that hot scent of warm avtur before flying began

*When I was area rep for the MASC we had two Bills, 1 and 2

I was #1 because I did the area reports in the mag so we appointed Bill as #2, nuff said!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Sea Hawk at Cosford, are they using it as an instructional or simply in safe storage?

Definitely only in safe storage, and I’m not 100% certain it’s at Cosford, either.  The only thing preventing it and the Sea Fury FB11 from flying is money... but...

Edit: quote from the Navy Wings website...

Sea Hawk FGA6 WV908.  Currently in temporary dry storage.  Our efforts are currently, with limited resources, focused on the Swordfish and then returning the Sea Fury FB 11 to flight.  Once these goals are achieved the Sea Hawk will be reviewed to establish the work and financial commitment required to return her to flight.”

Sadly, it is simply a fact that in the modern regulatory era flying vintage jets is a lot more complicated and expensive than flying vintage piston engine aircraft.  Shoreham won’t have helped, either.  There is a reason why the BBMF is sticking to Spitfires, Hurricanes and the Lancaster.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4