Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

12 hours ago, perdu said:

... as I find myself moving backward.  :(

If we get younger as we move backward, that could be a good thing.     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

Good afternoon all!

Before I go any further, I know over the last couple of years that a number of people have expressed an interest on here in buying this as a kit, so if you are  one of these souls, can I ask you to drop me a PM so that I can start compiling a list of those interested? I've a couple of orders from the States already so once this build is finished, I'll put together a brochure to show people what they'd be getting before anyone needs commit themselves. I've also decided to have the PE done commercially as whatever about the length of time it will take to print the resin, do the vacforming, masks etc., the PE is too labour intensive an item on top of everything else when it comes to quality control.

Things have been very slow of late due to a combination of the dreaded long-cv and various family obligations outside of work. but there is at least some progress to report...

Comms first though.

On 18/06/2022 at 21:25, Pete in Lincs said:

They not only speak, but sing with delight and joyfulness. (Is that the same thing?)

Are you sure you're not actually a bishop irl Pete? That does sounds uncannily like the sort of thing you'd say to your congregation... :winkgrin:

(mods: can we have a 'Priest in Lincs' emoji please?)

On 18/06/2022 at 21:42, Terry1954 said:

Awsome update as usual Tony, love the way you have recreated the red in the wing folds, and good to see the Molotow pen finding some good use.

Thanks Terry.

That pen does indeed produce great results but I think I'd only use it for the kind of detailing jobs seen here, like the engines and locking pins - I wouldn't trust it interacting with other materials or indeed getting any subsequent handling, based on my own experiences.

There seem to be an infinite number of chrome paints out there when you trawl the web looking for inspiration but Jayzus the prices of some of them.

On 18/06/2022 at 21:46, bigbadbadge said:

Oh man that Steak and kidney pie burger looks positively delicious,  oh and the wingfolds look great too

The former makes a great reward for the latter Chris! 😁

On 18/06/2022 at 22:48, giemme said:

Tony, like many other things on this build, those wingfolds are a work of art in themselves!

From you G, those are very heartening sentiments. Thank you!

On 18/06/2022 at 23:41, Galligraphics said:

Wot he sed...

On 19/06/2022 at 00:22, CJP said:

Very nice delicate detail in those wing folds

Cheers you two! :thumbsup2:

On 19/06/2022 at 01:22, David H said:

I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, but i would be shocked if the folks over at Airfix were not following this project with close interest.....

:thumbsup2: Thanks David.

Can I just remind any Airifx executives reading this on their corporate jet that I have multiple dependents and a modelling habit to support.... 😁

On 19/06/2022 at 07:11, Brandy said:

Yup, I thought so. The pins in chrome and the last bits of etch and this could almost operate the fold!

Having just about understood how the various parts of the wingfold mechanism all operate Ian, I'm pretty sure I could make a working version at a larger scale...before the men in white coats were alerted....

On 19/06/2022 at 07:51, keefr22 said:

Epic wingfold detail Tony and some marvellous artistic colour interpretation of the red gunky stuff - brill....!! 

I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing at all to begin with Keith when the first coat went down...thankfully it seems to have panned out ok.

On 19/06/2022 at 08:18, perdu said:

Whilst I concur with him about Molotow, dammit I cannot concur about the pieburger.

Food of/for/about giants.

Chrome and cookery Bill. I can't help thinking there's a TV series in all this somewhere.

'The Model Chef', or some such nonsense... :laugh:

On 19/06/2022 at 11:01, keefr22 said:

Sorry anything containing bits that animals wee through is wrong, just wrong

:rofl:

After a sesh at home with friends many years back I got up in the morning and made everyone a huge cooked breakfast that included kidneys. One of those present (originally from Seaford over on the S. Coast) spurned having said items on his plate with a : 'Nah mate - I never eat p*ss filters...', leaving a rather sombre reflective mood amongst those who'd just finished theirs.

On 19/06/2022 at 14:08, Hamden said:

A great update Tony, those engines and wing fold look outstanding as others have said turn the key and off you go!

:laugh: I shall miss this when it's tucked away in the glass case Roger!

On 21/06/2022 at 21:37, The Spadgent said:

Squinting is the best way to do it. Strange but true.  

Exactement Johnny!

On 21/06/2022 at 21:37, The Spadgent said:

Won’t most of that end up either on the floor or down shirt.

On 22/06/2022 at 09:22, perdu said:

Kinda see what Johnny says too, Destination Shirt-Front for a certain percentage of that but hell of a journey.

This is indeed a most cruel way to discover that I'm the only one of here who licks his shirt after a pie.

Apparently.

On 24/06/2022 at 09:28, Martian said:

still in utter ignorance as to how it works.

:laugh:

That's actually me and life-in-general Martian...

On 24/06/2022 at 19:33, Pete in Lincs said:

Sticky backed plastic and colouring between the lines.

'I'm a firestarter, twisted firestarter...'

_103869949_noakes_advent.jpg

On 25/06/2022 at 10:46, perdu said:

No matter how we try to disguise it that is the natural level of most of us Martian, I gaze up at the feet of the masters in here and sigh, just a little bit...

On 25/06/2022 at 20:14, Fritag said:

I remember gazing at a little Sherpa and sighing similarly as it happens Bill, just a little bit ;)

I'd submit that we're all in a circle of friendship here, just gazing at the feet of the next person along the ring... 😁

On 26/06/2022 at 20:42, Navy Bird said:

If we get younger as we move backward, that could be a good thing.     :drunk:

I'm getting more immature Bill. Does that count?

One of the reasons delaying my posting anything further was the completely unfounded slur cast by @Fritag a little while ago that I somehow possessed a calm demeanour when accidents happen. For the record, I managed to smash the rear of both fins against the shelf over the bench several days back which unleashed a Holy Feckstorm of Profanity.

BTW, am I the only one that giggles in a decidedly juvenile manner each time I see the:

thread over in the 'Chat' section, imagining that it's where you go to post loads of cursing when a build goes wrong....

Anyway, yuck:

52188449571_52e8ef44f1_b.jpg

Both top and bottom sections on both sides exhibiting a significant 'scallop' feature not present on the actual aircraft. The sections are très, très thin and blade-like at about 0.04mm thickness so not an easy repair job. More in despair than anything else ai resorted to using Oramask backing in order to use resin and laser to build back the required sections, which worked remarkably well. I knew from past experience that Washi tape always produces a textured surface but using Orasmask here leaves a smooth surface on that side, meaning you only have the front to worry over with a small file and fine W&D.

The fragility of these sections is visible in the translucency when light falls through it:

52188935180_0542125e48_b.jpg

- but once painted/varnished to match their surroundings, it's an invisible mend.

52187435302_86733f0e86_b.jpg

52188935165_cf6fb2571f_b.jpg

That took a couple of days to complete due to the limited periods for which I can concentrate at present, but then it was on to finishing the seats prior to installation. I'd already managed to knock the face screen handles off the front of the drogue containers so made and painted some new ones from fuse wire:

52187435162_3e16649b79_b.jpg

The overall colours still looked a bit too vivid at this scale so these were muted with a heavily diluted Payne's Grey oil wash on the seat fabrics and webbing:

52188459123_4ecf0857d6_b.jpg

With some further graphite work needed (I thought) to pop out some of the metal detailing on seat backs and sides that will of course be completely hidden once installed:

52188935085_8f8b6896d3_b.jpg

And with nothing further to delay matters, observer and pilot seats are now permanently installed. I used Gator's Grip to stick these into place as the 5-min epoxy I bought recently for such jobs has turned out to be highly unreliable. Getting the angle of the pilot seat correct whilst the adhesive sets required a brute force jig:

52188449441_97e3938f67_b.jpg

52188449481_b7b76a63c8_b.jpg

In the above shot, you can see that I've added the various LABS units behind the pilot's set as well.

Labelled respectively, these items are:

52188859694_1318939d16_b.jpg

1. LABS dummy calibrator.
  2. LABS test assembly.
  3. LABS dummy relay box.

52187435212_7eeea667a3_b.jpg

I can't remember had I mentioned previously but the twin holes drilled out immediately aft of the first set of maintenance panels are two accommodate small whip aerials for the VHF system:

52188704074_9a83316ceb_b.jpg

That seemed to take forever but things are thankfully still moving on.

In an effort to mentally push back against the fatigue, Mrs B and self lashed the bikes to the car recently and drove over to a woodland in the neighbouring county for a restorative cycle. Like many so-called forests in Ireland -many of which are little more than bleak forestry industry mono-cultures devoid of living things -  this one has a bleak perimeter of sitka, yet unlike many, contains the original deciduous heart of an old 17th century estate, mercifully left as meadow for life to endure:

52187461817_9f874c82e3_h.jpg

Utter peace lying in the grasses and watching the sky.

You forget, so easily forget, to feed the heart.

Thanks for dropping by as always all of you.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

(mods: can we have a 'Priest in Lincs' emoji please?)

Bless you my Son. And bless John Noakes too. The man was a Saint on childrens TV and a chap to be admired in his ventures for Blue Peter.

Fabulous invisible mending on the fins. You really can't see the join! (Ernie)

35 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I used Gator's Grip to stick these into place as the 5-min epoxy I bought recently for such jobs has turned out to be highly unreliable

We're on British Summer time over here. That may have something to do with it? The seats look just grand. They used to get quite grubby.

38 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

You forget, so easily forget, to feed the heart.

How very true. Reading threads like this help though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That pen does indeed produce great results but I think I'd only use it for the kind of detailing jobs seen here, like the engines and locking pins - I wouldn't trust it interacting with other materials or indeed getting any subsequent handling, based on my own experiences.

I'd agree it can be a bit "challenging" if attempting to use it like other paints, but I've had some success with airbrushing it (heavily thinned 60/40 Mr Levelling Thinner/Chrome) to reproduce chrome on a 1/24 auto model parts. Sealing with Alclad Aqua gloss after letting the Molotow dry off for a good few days!

38 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I managed to smash the rear of both fins against the shelf over the bench several days back which unleashed a Holy Feckstorm of Profanity.

You know what, I do believe I heard that from down here in Dorset!

The pictures above once again show what a superb beauty the Vixen is becoming and I have to say, what a superb save on those tail fins!

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2022 at 08:35, perdu said:

T'was probably my finest hour Steve and I thank you for it but you guys have moved on as I find myself moving backward.  :(

Masters all.

Bill my good man if you’re moving backwards then I don’t want to move forwards. There are things I’ve seen you do with a file and a well hardened blob of milliput that can make a grown man weep.

❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Good afternoon all!

Before I go any further, I know over the last couple of years that a number of people have expressed an interest on here in buying this as a kit, so if you are  one of these souls, can I ask you to drop me a PM so that I can start compiling a list of those interested?

Tony dear boy. I have been waiting (how many years is it now? ) To start my Airfix Vixen. I think I remember promising you I wouldn’t start while you were still making this / these. I’m holding firm. Don’t be tempting me with a Baronial Special edition. Will there be a box? Signed photo? Panel line pencil?  You temptress you. 😱😉

Johnny

• Haha 7

Tony, your work continues to inspire; your approach even more so.  I look forward to the Sunday morning (for me) update to this WIP.

I also didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to use symbols to replace/represent cuss words, I think I may have dodged a bullet or two in the past!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The tiny lettering, excellent stuff, reminded me of a very realistic painting by a famous artist that I saw in a museum many years ago. It was basically of a man reading a newspaper. You couldn’t quite read the printed words but were sure you could if you could just get close enough…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday's session at the bench was so good for the morale that I got up early this morning to work on the undercarriage. Mail first though.

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Bless you my Son. And bless John Noakes too. The man was a Saint on childrens TV and a chap to be admired in his ventures for Blue Peter.

Gentle, self-effacing television of that kind is for the most part long gone these days Pete: take it from one who has to rub shoulders with TV people from time-to-time, with honourable exceptions it's a crass place full of cheap sweets and unpleasant aftertastes...

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We're on British Summer time over here.

:rofl2:

Pitch perfect.

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great song it was my theme song as a Bouncer when I was younger. Our club DJ would play each Bouncer’s song as they arrived at work. 

That sounds a brilliant vibe! 

17 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'd agree it can be a bit "challenging" if attempting to use it like other paints, but I've had some success with airbrushing it (heavily thinned 60/40 Mr Levelling Thinner/Chrome) to reproduce chrome on a 1/24 auto model parts. Sealing with Alclad Aqua gloss after letting the Molotow dry off for a good few days!

Excellent advice Terry - I shall file that information away for future use if you don't mind?

17 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

You know what, I do believe I heard that from down here in Dorset!

Nobody swears in Dorset anyway - it's too nice a place.... :laugh:

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Don’t be tempting me with a Baronial Special edition. Will there be a box? Signed photo? Panel line pencil?

:rofl:

The Deluxe edition will have a box Johnny, Standard will be shoved in a Jiffy bag with an illegible address, whilst Economy will be a bottle of resin and the Book of Common Prayer. As a USP though each kit will come with a set of temporary tattoos so that people can engage in FAA cosplay....

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely work and repairs Tony  great to see some progress and Hope you are feeling better each day.

Good luck on your venture into producing these lovely kits.

Great work all round. 

Thanks on all counts Chris. :thumbsup2:

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

Tony, your work continues to inspire; your approach even more so.  I look forward to the Sunday morning (for me) update to this WIP.

That's a real tonic to hear Mark - thank-you!

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

I also didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to use symbols to replace/represent cuss words, I think I may have dodged a bullet or two in the past!

You know I'm going to have to watch my language as profanity serves the role of adjectives over in this part of the world and this is why I shouldn't be out in polite company....

12 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The tiny lettering, excellent stuff, reminded me of a very realistic painting by a famous artist that I saw in a museum many years ago. It was basically of a man reading a newspaper. You couldn’t quite read the printed words but were sure you could if you could just get close enough…

You can't remember the name of the artist Mr. T?

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Fabulous catch with the tail fins, oh yeah!

Thanks my friend! :thumbsup2:

(Please Lord don't let me damage anything more now though as I've run out of that mix of EDSG so any subsequent repairs will stick out like a sore thumb...)

Actually, whilst you're here Bill - when you did your gorgeous jewel of a Wasp that time, am I right in thinking that the interior colour of the cockpit area is Light Admiralty Grey?

To business then.

52190310366_7221d880fa_n.jpg

Moving with a sense of purpose earlier, no more faffing around. After a quick dry fit to makes sure the main gear and wheels go together without any adjustments needed:

52189226552_aebe28c712_b.jpg

Both sets got permanently fixed into position:

52190722410_87df70fbf1_b.jpg

Required disposition (when viewed from the front) is for the oleos to be angled inward a few degrees, with the wheels vertical:

52190236291_3ff99aea64_b.jpg

For strength, both the main legs and wheels were glued in place using resin/laser: the bond-strength of this combination is so good that  that you're more likely to snap the part before the glued section will give way.

As expected, she's a tail sitter (demonstrating why they put bumpers on the underside of the tail fins):

52190254193_9a020c968b_b.jpg#

Nosewheel then mounted to the forks using brass rod as an axle for strength:

52190722525_9a542aecc2_b.jpg

Similarly laser-resined into place in the well:

52190722435_2b16c8e697_b.jpg

That metal spike in the wheel?

That's for pinning the nosewheel down on the display plinth later:

52190494184_aeec8d0784_b.jpg

The resin undercarriage is more than robust enough to handle the weight of this aircraft using this method, whilst the 'sit' on those legs looks about right to me when compared to the actual aircraft.

52190722510_f5a6d9a4a9_b.jpg

52190722445_c453dd214f_b.jpg

52190722485_b4b5404a1e_b.jpg

Microcells, UC doors and arrestor gear still to go under there of course but the more I stick on now the less room there is for manoeuvre when it comes to adding extra parts so I'm going to pause to consider the best sequence to proceed in from this point onwards, in terms of adding stuff underneath in relation to the bits still to go on top.

The plinth itself is just the base off an old trophy:

52190236266_62b155475f_b.jpg

The idea later on is to strip off that ghastly brown varnish, add a mirror top to reflect the underside details, and drill a hole for the nosewheel spike.

Up in Dublin tomorrow so should get an opportunity to pop into Mark's Models there and stock up on paint;  I don't suppose anyone has a Tamiya recipe for mixing BSC381. 633 Blue Grey handy? :hmmm:

Take care of yourselves until next time.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 20

I've been out of circulation for a little while so just had a wonderful catch up of the last few posts. Fantastic results - though only to be expected from a Baron of your caliber.

This is building (has built?) to a wonderful crescendo of detail and a visual banquet to feast upon.

I have to admit to wanting this to be over soon (shame on me) - but only because I want to experience the entire rollercoaster all over again with the Wasp/Scout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks brilliant on her legs Tony, outstanding.

It's been a while since Wopsie made her entrance but it looks like Light Admiralty Grey to me.

No mixing colours help I am afraid but I do use Vallejo light blue grey for it, I think I mentioned the colours I used on my Sea Vixen thread but not easy to find on this pedestrian tablet.

• Thanks 1

Definitely sitting well there Tony. I had a similar stop and think session for the Battle, with the fitting of landing gear and bomb doors possibly interfering with each other.

Speaking of which, I received the new regulator for my compressor and fitted it today so expect progress soon!

Ian

• Like 1

You can't remember the name of the artist Mr. T?

It was a very long time ago...

But this gives you the idea: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/collier-a-trompe-loeil-of-newspapers-letters-and-writing-implements-on-a-wooden-board-t03853

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
add link
  • Like 1

Been watching and admiring this unfolding masterpiece for quite a while without comment, mainly as I haven’t been able to find the right words and didn’t want to merely echo the superlatives conveyed by others.  Suffice to say my gast is well and truly flabbered.  Wonderful work.

AW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Magnificent! :wow: Even in this unfinished state, she looks wonderful on her legs :worthy: :clap: 

And top repairing jobs with those fin tops! :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1