Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

What happens in the hangar, stays in the hangar...

Official secrets act and all that, old chap. 

The PX-7 effect looks very good. Probably better when the chrome bits are picked out, and I'd add some paint the prominent structural bits as in that picture.

It would (I think) add depth to the area, if you see what I mean? Nice save on that paint mishap too! Glad to hear you're feeling betterer.

• Thanks 1

That has certainly added quite a bit of visual interest, and very nicely too. I have the impression that with the metal jacks picked out it will look stunning.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening!

Currently reading Robert Massie's Dreadnought:  a surprisingly hilarious account of Anglo-German relations in the late 19th/early 20th centuries:

''He is lively, quick and sharp when his mind is set on anything, which is seldom...But usually his intellect is of no more use than a pistol packed in the bottom of a trunk if one were attacked in the robber-infested Apennines.' (Prince Albert on his son, the Prince of Wales)

and:

'He may be able to govern the country...but he is quite unfit to be left in charge of children.' (Lady Salisbury dissing his nibs the Lord Salisbury)

Plus ça change, et cetera.......

On 12/06/2022 at 21:00, AdrianMF said:

FWIW I quite often mix varnish and acrylic colour together on engines and cockpits to get the impression of layers of gunk and/or shadow piling up in the meniscus (meniscusi? meniscuses?). If I just use water and acrylic there isn’t enough medium for it to play nice and it dries funny all over the place.

I shall quite often be doing this from now on too Adrian on the strength of results here. 👍

On 12/06/2022 at 21:00, AdrianMF said:

Will the model be declared finished when you have nowhere else to pick it up by?

🤣 About as good a definition of 'finished' as you're ever going to find I reckon!

On 12/06/2022 at 21:01, giemme said:

the paint job on the wingfolds is simply superb! And ingenious too!

Recipe: 1 part instinct to 1 part anxiety, dilute with hope. 😁

On 12/06/2022 at 21:46, hendie said:

All that's missing now is the wirelocking :D

I had no idea what 'wirelocking' was Alan and after looking it up now know that there's such a thing as 'swaging' as well. Definitely feeling more manly these days....😄

On 12/06/2022 at 22:52, philp said:

Are you going to mount it on a base (some suitable looking flight deck maybe) when it is done?  This would make it easier to move around to shows, etc.

Hi Phil: yes, given it's going to be a tail-sitter I've drilled out the wheels so that I can use some metal rod to fix the aircraft securely onto a ground plane.

I don't know about taking it to shows though - normally I  lose interest in a subject when it's finished as to me each one is a kind of three-dimensional detective story that once solved, immediately loses its allure... (heresy I know!) 😁

On 12/06/2022 at 23:02, CedB said:

1/24 scale? Too much man for me Sir, I like little and often (snurf).

One cannot fight one's essential nature Ced. :laugh:

On 13/06/2022 at 06:55, Fritag said:

Impressed with the analytical approach to solving the problem of PX-7ing of the wingfold Tony.

You're too kind as always Steve: to the untrained eye my analytical approach only appears to resemble Sid James trying to discover the correct ingredients for an Aberdeen Angus....

52154919202_f5b3ee2b6a_z.jpg

On 13/06/2022 at 06:55, Fritag said:

but then I probably lack the Baronial emotional control :D… or mastery of understatement as a narrative device :whistle:

Showed that to Mrs B.

Puzzled frown: 'Who's he talking about?' :laugh:

On 13/06/2022 at 16:16, Pete in Lincs said:

The PX-7 effect looks very good. Probably better when the chrome bits are picked out, and I'd add some paint the prominent structural bits as in that picture.

It would (I think) add depth to the area, if you see what I mean?

I do indeed: in fact I took that to heart Pete and spent part of today doing exactly that:

52156204610_0bdd755055_c.jpg

Closer shots to follow....

On 13/06/2022 at 17:39, Brandy said:

That has certainly added quite a bit of visual interest, and very nicely too. I have the impression that with the metal jacks picked out it will look stunning.

Generous of you as always Ian. :thumbsup2:

As mentioned above, a final 'accent' pass on the PX-7 colouration of the wingfolds, starting with the outer wing sections along rib 5:

52155952309_784ca77746_c.jpg

As previously, Red X7 diluted with Galeria satin and mixed to varying hues with tempera reds, applied to highlight particular structural elements:

52155718933_ca7f6d5112_c.jpg

I nearly forgot to attach the remaining photoetch to the wingfold mechanisms along rib 4:

52155714241_50222369a8_c.jpg

The trapezoid lattice (1) being the latch pin mechanism that connects front and mid latch pin levers, with the smaller axe-like piece (2) being a supporting strut for the rear latch pin lever:

52155889743_59f9b6f93e_z.jpg

Before adding the etch I highlighted the locking pins using a 1mm Molotow chrome, although at this scale a 0.5mm one would have been a bit easier to work with as it was impossible to avoid brushing against surrounding detail in a couple of places, requiring a scrape or two of the scalpel blade to remove the excess when dried. Initially I messed up gluing the brass sections on by using a 5-minute epoxy that only works on plastic (idiot...), so after anxiously wiping the uncured glue back off (thankfully the Galeria satin in the paint made this a non-destructive error), the brass parts were finally fixed into place with Gator's Grip (Thin):

52155718873_4a740ac589_c.jpg

Hopefully the results speak for themselves in terms of the red colouration(s) and use of satin varnish to create translucent grease effects:

52155718828_01b3076f1e_c.jpg

Port views:

52154699062_50f2e2e069_c.jpg

52155718838_b121056e3b_c.jpg

Somewhat drained by the mental effort of not screwing that up at the last knockings, I celebrated with some fusion-cuisine: behold the majesty of the Steak and Kidney Pie Burger:

52155714246_9417e96857_c.jpg

With the wingolds done today, I've run out of excuses now to avoid attaching things like the RAT and undercarriage, and finishing off the cockpit in preparation for whacking on the outer wings (and all the fun that will involve).

Have a great evening and catch you next time.

Now, where did I leave those statins....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 19

21 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Hopefully the results speak for themselves

They not only speak, but sing with delight and joyfulness. (Is that the same thing?)

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

behold the majesty of the Steak and Kidney Pie Burger:

I, for one, am kneeling before this epicurean glory. And, Sirrah, Damn the Statins!

• Haha 7

Awsome update as usual Tony, love the way you have recreated the red in the wing folds, and good to see the Molotow pen finding some good use. Take note Bill @perdu, there are some uses for it, although I grant you, a very tricky accessory to use!

As for that Steak and Kidney burger, I need one!!!!!

T

• Haha 4

I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, but i would be shocked if the folks over at Airfix were not following this project with close interest.....

-d-

• Like 1

Yup, I thought so. The pins in chrome and the last bits of etch and this could almost operate the fold!

As for that burger, wasn't it "damn the statins, good food ahead"? or something along those lines....

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Take note Bill @perdu, there are some uses for it, although I grant you, a very tricky accessory to use!

Easiest way to use them is to press the nib down on a piece of masking tape - or similar 'palette' - to get a pool of the stuff and then use a fine brush to apply it. Or buy some Green Stuff World brushable acrylic chrome paint that looks just as good!

Epic wingfold detail Tony and some marvellous artistic colour interpretation of the red gunky stuff - brill....!! 

But steak and kidney pie burger - yuck... :sick:

Keith

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Whilst I concur with him about Molotow, dammit I cannot concur about the pieburger.

Food of/for/about giants.

This very evening maybe...

Loving the wingfold, damn it's good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A great update Tony, those engines and wing fold look outstanding as others have said turn the key and off you go!

Stay safe                 Roger 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They is red. They is foldy. They is amazing! 😀 excellent work and save on the spillage too. I did a similar thing to your painted scripts on some bombs a while ago. Squinting is the best way to do it. Strange but true.  Looking forward to your 1/24 escapades. 

Fusion food. I’m 70/30  most of me is screaming “ hell yessssss” The crisp sandwich bit of me. The bit of me that puts vinegar in salted crisps, and salad cream on bratwursts. But a little bit of me is stung by logistics. Won’t most of that end up either on the floor or down shirt.  I need a knife and fork for a pie. 🥧

onward and upwards dear boy. 😀

Johnny

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

They is red. They is foldy. They is amazing!

I don't know why, but I couldn't help thinking of those words said in the voice of Gollum.. :D :D  

Ciao

• Haha 4

On 19/06/2022 at 11:01, keefr22 said:

Sorry anything containing bits that animals wee through is wrong, just wrong.... :sick:

'tain't wee til it's done with, so there.

Kinda see what Johnny says too, Destination Shirt-Front for a certain percentage of that but hell of a journey.

As a lad that could manage the walk up Bradford St en route to our house juggling a red hot Fleur De Lys Snake and Pygmy pie 'til I reached Stratford Rd for the long trudge to Springfield, having a couple of slices of bread to control the scalding would indeed have been welcome.

So there!

Squinty?

Yes a decent definition from the days when my eyes could look at things and decide how to observe them.

Try that today and it'll be "hello paintbrush meet anything else in the room!" 

• Haha 7

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sticky backed plastic and colouring between the lines.

That's more my level.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Martian said:

That's more my level.

Martian 👽

No matter how we try to disguise it that is the natural level of most of us Martian, I gaze up at the feet of the masters in here and sigh, just a little bit...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I gaze up at the feet of the masters in here and sigh, just a little bit..

I remember gazing at a little Sherpa and sighing similarly as it happens Bill, just a little bit ;)

• Like 4