Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

Today's installment was accompanied by the Copper Beeches and - a personal favourite - the case of the Norwood Builder; the latter episode with SH showcasing some particularly impressive tramp improv. and property surveying moves.

My sole  remaining ambition in life is to be able to stand in driveways like this:

51349061082_58a220cc9a_b.jpg

Let's see what arrived previously via the channel packet:

On 29/07/2021 at 16:25, perdu said:

Good luck to youngest youngest today.

Appreciated Bill. :thumbsup2:

On 30/07/2021 at 17:19, giemme said:

I had a long overdue catchup with your build at last, Tony - and what a catchup!  The fuselage join is impressive, and the engine job looks very promising ! :clap::worthy:

Thanks G: I hope you had a good time away in Sicily?

The headlines over here were all a bit Old Testament regarding the  fires  and hailstorms afflicting various regions of Italy, so hope yourself and family were not affected in any way.

On 31/07/2021 at 00:23, bigbadbadge said:

I like the slight ripples in the oblique light photos.  Well captured Tony, it's something I would love to be able to recreate on models.

Kind of you as always Chris. :thumbsup2:

Paradoxically it's the imperfection of many aircraft (surfaces) that interests me when trying to make up a representation of a real one: it's easy to get carried away on matters of colour alone (and Lawd knows it's a fascinating subject in its own right) when of course there are a variety of other contributory factors generating the visual 'feel' of a subject, aside from paint. 

The boom/tailplane structures:

51349060967_5f68050018_b.jpg

and wings:

51350810000_ddfa372793_b.jpg

...all had similar surface treatments. (Ignore the slot for the blade antenna towards the front of the upper boom there, that's since been filled as there's only one of these over on the port side.)

From the translucency levels below  you can see that I've now reached the limit at this scale for part thickness when it comes to the edges/trailing edges of certain parts of the airframe:

51349792731_8a67361c06_b.jpg

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Amazing stuff!

I wonder if there is scope to sell your design work to a major modelling manufacturer for a production kit

Cheers James! (And yes of course: who isn't open to being discovered by somebody who will deal with all the tedious manufacturing and business side and leave you free to dream up things with wings?) 😁

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

The RAT is coming along really nicely, almost functionally so!

:rofl2:

I...

...genuinely guffawed long and loud at that!

( :rofl2:)

So here  - as was two days back - are the main parts of the airframe awaiting assembly:

51350018203_85e9e760ca_b.jpg

As you can see in the earlier photos above, all the major surfaces were tidied up in advance of assembly so that I only need to concentrate on cleaning up the joins once everything is assembled.

Also as insurance against me knocking bits off during handling.

Just as well, for who managed to drop the port wing just at the last knockings just as he was twirling it round in the light to check surfaces?

Yeah, you guessed it.

As with buttered bread, it predictably landed pylon-side down, snapping all three off. With uncharacteristic prudence I'd kept back a boneyard of rejected prints in case I ever needed to cannibalize anything and you can see here I'm in the process of removing three perfectly satisfactory pylons from an unsatisfactory wing to serve as donors:

51350810045_320b3b2de8_b.jpg

This set me back about a couple of hours but once done, the transplants are invisible.

Just a passing note in terms of part fitting, the outer side of the boom/wing interface is fine with some minor sanding:

51349060992_a625fbb9ae_b.jpg

- but on the inner side there's a discernible mismatch:

51350810025_a5ae64f2c6_b.jpg

I won't go into the complexities of this at the design stage in Fusion but essentially it results from two different  spline cages on either side of these parts (designing as separate components elongated compound curves incorporating a wing trailing edge isn't as fun as it sounds...). The wing side of the boom isn't as a consequence quite oblate enough on its fuselage-facing side, so requires a little filler in order to blend into the rear part. It's about 0.4mm at it's maximum so not a major job - I'll post shots of the rectification to show you the differential once I've got the booms stuck on later.

Sticking on?

Yes, the wings at last:

51350810070_458231fe51_b.jpg

And below:

51349061057_2787721aed_b.jpg

Note the coral like fronds of resin repair at the rear of the wing roots - being a thorough sort I took particular care during assembly to drop both wings onto the floor in some kind of  involuntary ritual. I claim no particular credit however for having dropped each in such a way as to smash off almost identical sections from the trailing edges of both - Miss Fortune alone must take sole credit as the author of such perverse symmetries. A saving grace is the amenable nature of this resin is in terms of how handily it takes carving in order to repair such damage.

A key concern at this stage was to ensure a correct lower dihedral for the wings and, although they were eyeballed into position rather than using a jig, the eventual result looks ok:

51350532379_1144fe14fd_b.jpg

For the large contact area at the wing/fuselage interface I was conscious that the laser might not penetrate into the seam far enough to cure the resin that I'm using as the adhesive, so I added a few blobs of 24hr epoxy along the middle of the join to bolster its strength there. For anyone not using resin as adhesive, epoxy is absolutely fine for gluing printed resin together as an alternative. (I think I published tests of this some time back on this thread anyway).

She can sit here overnight then for the epoxy to cook off and then over the course of week I'll clean up all those seams and repairs:

51350810100_ab40ed52f1_b.jpg

Once that's done we're onto fixing the booms in place and then adding some PE embellishment!

I hope you've all had a good weekend and take care until next time.

:bye:

Tony

PS. Craftwork of the highest order:

• Like 21

Even your photos show more of an artistic bent (ooh er, missus!) than most of my modelling. Another fine update and more eye candy modelling!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite your outbreak of dropsy, it's looking lovely with wings on. 

Shame about the cockpit fire though...

51350810100_ab40ed52f1_b.jpg

And yes, it was a good weekend, thanks. Modelling got done! Have a good one, Pete

• Haha 11

50 minutes ago, CJP said:

the plan view of a Sea Vixen with the wings spread is nice to behold - you've really captured the character of the aircraft with this build

CJP

He really has hasn't he.

• Thanks 1

I've a new assistant - Norman - working the slide projector for me this afternoon, so let's hope everything runs smoothly.

First slide please Norman.

51361325179_97abb5b00c_b.jpg

What?

What?

'-k's sake -the the wrong slide Norman!

My new fruit delivery drone plans leaked all over the internet on your first day you fool!

Get the other carousel quickly whilst I fill in with some replies - they mightn't have noticed....

On 01/08/2021 at 16:58, Brandy said:

Even your photos show more of an artistic bent (ooh er, missus!) than most of my modelling. Another fine update and more eye candy modelling!

I shudder to think how ponderous this forum must have been back in the early 19th century Ian, people submitting sketches of their the WIP and an oil painting for the RFI at the end.

And updates even more rambling than mine...

On 01/08/2021 at 18:32, Spookytooth said:

A fine finish on the parts should help the painting side too.

Or cruelly expose my painting flaws! 😁

Thanks Simon. :thumbsup2:

On 01/08/2021 at 19:11, Pete in Lincs said:

Shame about the cockpit fire though...

I've removed the AGA from the coal hole now now Pete, lest it offend the purists.

On 01/08/2021 at 21:01, bigbadbadge said:

Good to seesome big bits being stuck together,

I'm aiming to stick more than two bits together in the same update Chris but it's proving hard going... 😁

On 01/08/2021 at 21:57, 71chally said:

Other than the words dedication and perfection, one word that I will walk away with from this thread is oblate!

😆

All my life I've been tortured by a desire to use the word 'gravid' in conversation James, but by this loop of the mortal coil I'm sadly reconciled to it remaining little more than a wistful aspiration.

A bit like one day actually finishing this build! 😁

On 01/08/2021 at 22:52, hendie said:

I brought some words to the thread, but now I've binned them all.  None were weighty or majestic enough to comment on the sheer Vixen voluptuousness ess s and beauty

' Four legs good, twin booms better.'

At least I think that's what Orwell said....

On 02/08/2021 at 08:08, CJP said:

the plan view of a Sea Vixen with the wings spread is nice to behold - you've really captured the character of the aircraft with this build

CJP

On 02/08/2021 at 08:58, perdu said:

He really has hasn't he.

Kind of you both :thumbsup2: : as expressions of aerial velocity there's something deeply resonant about this family of shapes, as Crisp so rightly says:

On 02/08/2021 at 14:11, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I am sure I am not only one to see the influence of the D108 Swallow on this close cousin of the DH110

An unexpectedly busy week has meant not being able to get near the bench at all despite the best of intentions, but I did want to share the fruits of some further visual research regarding the general arrangement of XJ481. To whit: the route taken by the data relay from the Martel pylon, back along the aircraft to the transmitter on the port rear outer boom, just above the tail bumper.

Up until recently I hadn't got quite enough period views of the aircraft to confirm the route of this duct in its entirety. Whether there's been a few more period shots posted over the last few months or they simply didn't show  up in previous searches, I can't say, but last evening I found two or three additional that filled in the missing parts of the jigsaw  in terms of confirming where the ducting ran along the aircraft - as well as showing just as crucially showing where it didn't go:

51361325169_09f1e12b21_m.jpg

I'm posting these as thumbnails to avoid infringing any copyright but you can find most of the originals credited to the specific individuals concerned here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/xj481/

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/XJ481

From these various views I was able to trace the route of the data relay onto one of my old test prints with  a fountain pen.

Next slide Norman.

Return from rear of port inner pylon and into small opening in front of port underside boom/UC door:

51361607900_69f785f339_b.jpg

Transits vertically upwards through UC bay to emerge from top of port boom above wing, just behind the blade antenna.:

51360817303_1d3636f881_b.jpg

Arcs rearward and down to finally connect with transceiver on port tail fin:

51361325204_1793d09a42_b.jpg

In terms of expressing this duct feature then , some 0.5mm styrene strip looks like it will do the job on the actual airframe:

51359841462_7caecb284e_b.jpg

I'm off to Dublin first thing in the morning with Mrs. B who has to drop some work off, so no update until Sunday, but it will give me a chance to call into Mark's Models there (for the first time in nearly two years!) to grab some liquid decal film to help with designing & printing the smaller badges for the aircraft, and doubtless some 0.3mm brass tube as well because, well, it's frankly just a habit at this point...

Anyone else have one particular modelling item like that they always buy like every time they see it even when they don't actually need it?

What am I saying? 🤦‍♂️

We're modellers....

Take care until next time mes braves.

Tony

PS. I can confirm that CA does not stick resin to bananas.

• Like 10
  • Haha 16

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Of course it doesn't. You have de Havilland wings and bananas were Avro, as per the song - "Yes, we're Avro bananas". 

OK, OK, I'll get me coat...

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 15
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Stupid boy, Pike. You obviously need Gorilla glue!

I don't habitually buy any items in particular. But I'm always on the lookout for oddly shaped items that might go towards a Sci Fi scratchbuild.

Did you find Norman in the queue at Specsavers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

Of course it doesn't. You have de Havilland wings and bananas were Avro, as per the song - "Yes, we're Avro bananas". 

OK, OK, I'll get me coat...

Ian

The problem with bananas as a modeling medium is the paint peeling.

I'm right behind you, Brandy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Incredible stuff Tony, I don't know what else to say.

If you hear of a profitable fruit delivery drone company over in the states in the near future, it had nothing to do with the above post (my lawyer, Maurice, said I had to say that).

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Excellent wing job, Tony :clap:

We weren't affected by the fires in Sicily; they were mostly on the East Coast, while we were staying westwards - thanks for asking :)

Ciao

• Like 2

Great news that the extra photos were located,  very satisfying when extra pieces of ghe puzzle appear. Looking forward to the ducting appearing.

I visited a model shop well a shop selling model railway bits and cames away with a few packs of Paint brushes   you can never have enough. 

Chris

• Like 1

Evening all

<flexes knees>

<has trouble straightening>

Shadows of the falling sun made it look like the Mary Deare was foundering on the Minquiers behind the kitchen pedal bin last evening:

51376830840_09b41a5da1_b.jpg

What's that Latin word for a tendency to see shipwrecks in domestic projections...?

Another - what's turning out to be a weekly - update this evening, with some significant progress made in the intervals between other duties. A quick rifle through the telegrams first as usual though.

On 06/08/2021 at 18:47, Brandy said:

Are you sure Andrew Sachs never announced you as the next act on The Good Old Days Ian? :hmmm:😁

On 06/08/2021 at 19:07, Pete in Lincs said:

Stupid boy, Pike. You obviously need Gorilla glue!

There's a double act shaping up here....

On 07/08/2021 at 03:20, Space Ranger said:

The problem with bananas as a modeling medium is the paint peeling.

:rofl2:Make that a triple...

On 07/08/2021 at 19:07, Cookenbacher said:

Incredible stuff Tony, I don't know what else to say.

If you hear of a profitable fruit delivery drone company over in the states in the near future, it had nothing to do with the above post (my lawyer, Maurice, said I had to say that).

Cheers as always Cookie. :thumbsup2:

Is that Maurice from Fresno? I heard he'd been disbarred from practice after his party trick with a funnel and a parakeet went horribly wrong at the Leather Inferno club...

On 11/08/2021 at 09:35, giemme said:

We weren't affected by the fires in Sicily; they were mostly on the East Coast, while we were staying westwards - thanks for asking

Glad to hear it Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

On 11/08/2021 at 11:48, Terry1954 said:

Another excellent update, and I do like the idea for that data relay trunking. It's those little touches that do it!

And I thought I'd forsaken plastic strip Terry! :laugh:

On 11/08/2021 at 19:45, bigbadbadge said:

I visited a model shop well a shop selling model railway bits and cames away with a few packs of Paint brushes   you can never have enough. 

It's always good to have an investment policy for the future Chris. 😁

You're familiar by now with the kind of mood boards I've been routinely putting together in PureRef over the course of this build to help with various stages of design and assembly, this being the latest to help with the overall arrangement of XJ481 (James, you'll notice a few familiar friends there...):

51375822021_58bff56848_b.jpg

I rearranged my studio several months back with all the compute gear (with the image bank stored away on) safely removed from paint and dust at one side of the room, creating an irksome workflow between bench and computer being in separate locations now during construction when needing to regularly consult images. Somewhat late to the party I realized that with an Android tablet on the modelling bench, I can use the Chrome desktop to send the PureRef output across from the PC to where I'm sitting:

51375057447_c3d9d036db_b.jpg

Problem solved.

This was an especially critical problem to solve right now as in actually sticking parts together after so long, I need to constantly check that I'm getting the joins correctly blended between the various curves and planes of this aircraft. In my previous update the wings were stuck on, but with that great sweep back along the wing root, I needed to carefully carve back into the excess adhesive filler to get the compound curves sharply delineated. Despite this being an apparently straightforward job, to help with the the small radius of that curve where wing and fuselage meet, I ended up having to make my own custom tool by cutting and grinding a #11 scalpel blade to the required radius:

51376830815_a3875eb30a_b.jpg

Although time-consuming, I was pleased with the quality of the final result top:

51376557104_6889b2a6e8_b.jpg

-and bottom:

51375821901_500249a0e4_b.jpg

With this completed it was on to the matter of completing the overall outline of the aircraft by fitting the boom/tailplane assembly, which was kind of easy and hard at the same time: easy because I designed the rear section of the aircraft as a single printed assembly (so obviating the need to consistently align and glue the fins and tailplane perpendicular to each other), but hard in that you have to stick the whole unwieldy assemblage on in one go. In the end, rather than any fancy technical solutions I found that eyeballing and tacking it into place with a few tiny dabs of resin before sticking it permanently was the most effective method.

I don't believe in concealing any flaws in my work as you know, so you can see when I talked previously about the mismatch in shape where the rear booms plug into front section at the wing trailing edge, here is the necessary amount of filling required to match the curves:

51375821941_9de36ec6b5_b.jpg

You can see also that the arc where the wing root meets the exhaust tunnels was reinstated and carved to match the surrounding shapes, but not unexpectedly, I've managed to nibble away at the (extremely thin) trailing edge of the wing due to clumsy handling/sanding- I'll wait until just before primer goes on before tidying those notches to avoid repeating the problem during further handling/tidying. To help with reinstating those arcs, I made up some paper guides from an undamaged wing and stuck these on the underside of the damaged sections at the rear here. By a modelling variant of the Cosmic Anthropic Principle, the required radius almost exactly matches that of a lid of Tamiya acrylic, for drawing purposes....

51376557064_81cf6cfbae_b.jpg

The last couple of evenings then I spent carving and W&D'ing those booms until the seams disappeared into the bodywork:

51376830950_8b10d72018_b.jpg

51376557159_579dc2610a_b.jpg

All very pleasing under the bench light but my final critical test that such jobs must pass if I'm to be satisfied is how they look under *strongly* oblique daylight:

51375057547_540d1464a9_b.jpg

51376830915_8cdb6ab205_b.jpg

In terms of the actual thinness of those trailing edges, if you hold the aircraft up against the light you can see the unforgiving nature of the tolerances:

51375057582_e9acd02901_b.jpg

S'all I got for youse now - am off out for an evening walk..

51376830995_a45bf53089_m.jpg

Tony

PS. A phantasmic moon dropped down onto the Atlantic here the other evening...

51375057467_f3843937f6_b.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Make that a triple...

Rag, Tag and Bobtail?

Another excellent update, your Baronship. Impressive trailing edges and booms. 

Nice moon too. (Careful how you read that, @CedB is active here again!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I know I have said this before, but I can't help myself,  I love the first two images of the model, under the photo of your home made tool, showing the slight undulations in the model surfaces, it adds an air of realism.

Great to see it coming together it looks awesome.

Chris

• Thanks 1