Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

4 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice work on the canopies - I have a similar vacform machine - any problems with clouding of the canopies - do you use ABS or PETG?

I’ve had problems with casting resin clouding/discolouring canopies using PETG - sort of overcome by only heating the PETG to the absolute minimum required.

• Like 2

I heat the PETg gently to de-stress the material then rewarm it (don't let it get too cool first) and vacform as normal.

Seems to take the bubbles and distortion away when I do it that way, you can watch the way the gentle heat takes care of the surface.

1585401748981539244202579550574.jpg

Some of my early forays into the 'Belvedere bubble'

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I’ve had problems with casting resin clouding/discolouring canopies using PETG - sort of overcome by only heating the PETG to the absolute minimum required.

Thanks Fritag - it all seems a bit hit & miss to me & I usually go through several attempts before I get something useable

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

I heat the PETg gently to de-stress the material then rewarm it (don't let it get too cool first) and vacform as normal.

Seems to take the bubbles and distortion away when I do it that way, you can watch the way the gentle heat takes care of the surface.

1585401748981539244202579550574.jpg

Some of my early forays into the 'Belvedere bubble'

thanks for the tip Perdu

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

I would have run out and taken some photos but the neighbours don't like me running around in my dressing gown.

I have frequently run out to the street to check the mail in my pajamas. But how the mail gets in my pajamas I've never been able to understand.

• Haha 10

Third attempt at posting this as constantly interrupted over the last two days during lunchbreaks and losing it all...

On 28/04/2021 at 11:21, AdrianMF said:

You aren't going to add an observer? You could probably get away with a helmet on a stick down there...

That 'controversial' FAA recruitment poster of 1962....

C5RlCxMWQAAtWwZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

On 28/04/2021 at 11:26, corsaircorp said:

Now, my ancestor would surely have a pint of beer instead of a fish....

Genetics eh CC? 😁 :cheers:

On 28/04/2021 at 13:23, giemme said:

So the resin bucks do hold up well to vacfoming and heat, uh? Good to know

Yep. No problem at all, and a little slick of silicon lubricant polished on just prior to 'forming helps considerably with popping the buck out afterwards Giorgio.

On 28/04/2021 at 13:46, keefr22 said:

Was that this week's supermoon Tony?

T'was indeed Keith; must say though that I'd never heard of 'supermoon' as a kid (or until recently as an adult) - is it a recent US media import into popular parlance?

On 28/04/2021 at 13:46, keefr22 said:

Is the lack of 'talking baggage' in that jet due to the instrumentation in the observers 'pit?!

There may - or may not be an observer present Keith - it's Schrodinger's Vixen.

Due to my lack of information about the exact crewing of XJ481 during the TV Martel trials, the wave function will only collapse if the observer's door is opened....

Without any explicit testimony to draw upon regarding the exact operation of these trials, the only  Vixen/Martel information I could find trawling the networks was this mind-numbingly dull and self-indulgent oral history interview that contains a brief description of an observer filming a Martel with a handheld camera, but it makes no mention of which Vixen was involved or whether it was a radar or TV trial, so is of no help in clarifying the question.

On 28/04/2021 at 14:10, Brandy said:

I'd never noticed the background rainbow colours on the Angels' badge before. I knew Captain Scarlet was ahead of his time but...... 

He is the Captain of our hearts Ian... 😁

On 28/04/2021 at 16:37, bbudde said:

I fear more the completely missing lower jaws flying around,

.Ye Gods! I thought snuff modelling was a myth! :shocked:

On 28/04/2021 at 22:05, The Spadgent said:

A spot of on the busses too.

What got me about that series was how absolutely spot on the works canteen was Johnny. Having worked in a number of factories in the early-mid 80s with similar catering, you knew the serving-lady fancied you if there was extra marge on your fossilized cheese roll...

On 28/04/2021 at 22:34, corsaircorp said:

Impressive moulding My Dear baron !!

And splendid interiors !!

Congrats Man !!

CC

On 28/04/2021 at 22:45, bigbadbadge said:

The cockpit interior looks fantastic Tony and the Canopies look fab too.

Chris

CC & C 😄 thank you both! :thumbsup2:

On 28/04/2021 at 23:00, CedB said:

I would have run out and taken some photos but the neighbours don't like me running around in my dressing gown.

Ask me how I know…

And with that, the subject of my next build announces itself: a 1/48 diorama entitled 'As Nature Intended'.... :rofl2:

On 29/04/2021 at 05:57, Fritag said:

Knocking up a CAD canopy is probably but a few moments work for you after all this practise Tony?

With the asymmetric mounting and mixture of flat windshield transitioning to compound curves involved Steve, I could perhaps have chosen a simpler subject to cut the teeth on,  but it's all good practice!

This is the initial design drawing (sans framing and rain shedding stuff) for the later mod canopy of '708 - straightforward in some places and a little trickier in others:

50500934091_20b60ee5ae_b.jpg

On 29/04/2021 at 05:57, Fritag said:

PS. I’d like the following canopies please...

:rofl:

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

:winkgrin:

On 29/04/2021 at 08:24, Pete in Lincs said:

Meanwhile, all praise to the latest Vixen updates from Resin Central. Seats, pilot AND an Anderson refererence. Well played, Sir!

Ta Dad.

Hope you're doing ok Pete. :thumbsup2:

On 29/04/2021 at 09:08, CJP said:

I have a similar vacform machine - any problems with clouding of the canopies - do you use ABS or PETG?

PETG usually CJ. :nodding:

With the dental vacform machine, I find that any time I've clouded a mould has been on an initial attempt  when I've ben too timid with the process i.e., letting the PETG warm for too long whilst too far away from the overhead heating element. The sweet spot for me (using 0.5mm PETG) is usually:

1. Swing the heating element away at first and let it get to full power before swinging it back in over the mould bed.
  2. Gently lever the PETG up to the halfway point at most until you see that characteristic 'bowing' form across the transparency. This step should be rapid and take only a matter of seconds.
  3. As soon as you see this bowing spread outward to the edges of the sheet of transparency, immediately lower it down over the buck and whack the vacuum on quick whilst swinging the heating element away again.

Due to the intensity of the heating element on these machines being concentrated in such an enclosed area, I find that fortune favours the brave; rapid heating in this way avoids the centre beginning to cloud before the edges have softened sufficiently, whilst only raising the PETG halfway towards the overhead element avoids the dreaded bubbles starting to form if you fly too close to the sun, as it were.... 😁

Garden duties beckon this weekend I'm afraid now that the planting season is here and the weather is good; I hope to have further Vixen progress to share later in the week though if I can get a few evenings in.

In the meantime,  have a great weekend all of ye.

:bye:

Tony

PS. Arkhip Kuindzhi, Red Sunset on the Dnieper (1905). What hues!

Ez_cy0pXoAMgwp1?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 16

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

must say though that I'd never heard of 'supermoon' as a kid (or until recently as an adult) - is it a recent US media import into popular parlance?

May well be Tony, can't honestly say when I first heard the term - I subscribe to the Earth-Sky news newsletter and they always note when a full moon will  be a 'supermoon' - they're a US based organisation so it may well be it started there.

There may - or may not be an observer present Keith - it's Schrodinger's Vixen.

:rofl2:

Keith

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

PETG usually CJ. :nodding:

With the dental vacform machine, I find that any time I've clouded a mould has been on an initial attempt  when I've ben too timid with the process i.e., letting the PETG warm for too long whilst too far away from the overhead heating element. The sweet spot for me (using 0.5mm PETG) is usually:

1. Swing the heating element away at first and let it get to full power before swinging it back in over the mould bed.
  2. Gently lever the PETG up to the halfway point at most until you see that characteristic 'bowing' form across the transparency. This step should be rapid and take only a matter of seconds.
  3. As soon as you see this bowing spread outward to the edges of the sheet of transparency, immediately lower it down over the buck and whack the vacuum on quick whilst swinging the heating element away again.

Due to the intensity of the heating element on these machines being concentrated in such an enclosed area, I find that fortune favours the brave; rapid heating in this way avoids the centre beginning to cloud before the edges have softened sufficiently, whilst only raising the PETG halfway towards the overhead element avoids the dreaded bubbles starting to form if you fly too close to the sun, as it were.... 😁

Thanks for the tips Tony - should help heaps next time I use it & may prevent me wasting acres of clear sheet - just need to find a local supplier of PETG handy size sheets

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

No progress to report on the La Vixenne I'm afraid as frankly zero enthusiasm and energy for the project as we speak: funny old situation to find yourself in but not perhaps unusual after over a year of scratching away.. When it started to feel like a chore during the week the signs of ennui were telling me to call time for a bit - family life and the vegetable plot (in that order) are by necessity taking up any current leisure time, plus I've a backlog of books and work-related research to get through so simply have to prioritize where to shine the cosmic energies.

Hopefully you know me well enough though by this stage of proceedings that I never abandon a commitment of this nature so fear not - I  just need to go away and do other stuff for a bit. And no. I haven't gone skiing with @Fritag....

Continued fond regards for success with your own projects and I'll catch up with ye all in due course.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

After all your work in order to get get the perfect Vixen you deserve a break.

I will look forward to your return when the time is right for you

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm afraid as frankly zero enthusiasm and energy for the project as we speak

Completely understand that. I lost my modelling mojo for aviation, maritime and AFV subjects at the back end of last year. I felt I needed a break, not so much from modelling, but for something different. Some finescale P4 work has ensued in the last few weeks with two locomotive projects now underway, but not very fast! Garden projects also call, and one new shed was completed last month and the second is in planning. Other cultivative work is also in hand.

Your pioneering and very skillful work on the Vixens must have taken a toll, and a rest is surely deserved, if not needed.

Such a relief that you have not gone skiing with Steve .............. you could have been gone for years!

Terry

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Such a relief that you have not gone skiing with Steve .............. you could have been gone for years!

Quote of the month...

As the folks say, time.

It's yours use it how you will.

We will be happy to have more lessons when you have prepared the next class notes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

And no. I haven't gone skiing with @Fritag....

That sounds ‘orribly like a euphamism :hmmm:

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

See - I knew it sounded like a euphemism for summat... :blush:

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Quote of the month...

And your not ‘elping neither.....:P

Actually - you’d be very welcome skiing Tony; bring some badly needed intellectual heft to a formation of obtuse old former mud-movers :D

Pressing pause sounds like the right move at the right time to me old chap.

Series 1 has ended beautifully, leaving everybody hooked and ready for more.  Already looking forward to series 2.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, giemme said:

We'll run the place for you while you're away.... :whistle:  :D

Uh-oh.....

Someone tell the Martian to get the decorating stuff ready!

Have a Kit-Kat Tony....   :)

Keith

• Haha 6

Yep Tony, if you need a break, take another ride. Nothing is more worse than thinking "I have to do i't, because I must. Ahh, but it pains me yet again." It won't bring you the result you want to achieve. And other things can be fun and satisfy you till you get the mojo and lust back for modelling. All comes and goes in seasons.  I can wait for the next HQ update.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1