Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

Great going "Von Tony".

The idea of leaving some undulations on the fuselage is a great idea when the pics show not such a smooth surface.

But let`s see what she looks like under a coat of primer, that`s the litmus test.

Stay safe .

Simon.

• Thanks 1

I totally agree with our Bill. This is outstanding work in all areas. I'd also leave the slight rippling as I think it adds a touch of realism that just couldn't be duplicated easily on purpose. It works nicely!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, that looks lovely me dear :) 

I'm liking the Red Baron AND the idea of fitting barrels on the rear view camera…

Sadly the T-Roc has its camera in the rear VW badge/boot opener - it flips open when you engage reverse and flips closed when you exceed 5km (or something).

Not quickly enough to avoid the occasional shouts from people saying you've left your boot open! 

• Haha 3

Well the new car looks a cracker. You could always just print a 1/1 top turret. The belly turret could be a problem though.

I like the rippled effect on the skin. Even fairly new Aircraft can have it.

On the plus side, you're going to save a fortune in filler.

• Haha 2

Rich of experiences...(most of it were really unpleasant to use a clear understatement)

And it's about all...

But on the other hand, a 1/48 Avro bison ...

Araldite ?? AÎ caramba, It's a very fine allergy trigger for me...

Very nice Red baron Tony, Diesel or gasoline ??

If it's a diesel, take care of RGE valve... A trip of 50Km twice a month is a fine way to achieve it...

Otherwise, I'll label it a good car !

A marly Exhaust cleaner every 35.000 Miles and that's it !

Your Vixen is a gem, Congrats !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday lunchtime and I've decided to take a few hours off: we're in the middle of yet another flood warning as A. Ocean assembles itself in kit form on top of the landscape. Hard to concentrate on anything meaningful with the eaves getting all elemental so thought I'd inflict some of me blather on the assembled  -armed with a mug of the fizziest instant coffee I've ever come across (you pour water on it and it goes off like sodium..)

Bill first then:

On 16/01/2021 at 15:42, perdu said:

Standing out for being outstanding.

Funny how what's good in a modelling forum can be legally problematic in a convent....

On 16/01/2021 at 15:46, Spookytooth said:

But let`s see what she looks like under a coat of primer, that`s the litmus test.

Agreed Simon - and some primer has been duly snorted Vixen-wards. :thumbsup2:

On 16/01/2021 at 15:47, Brandy said:

I'd also leave the slight rippling as I think it adds a touch of realism that just couldn't be duplicated easily on purpose. It works nicely!

Thanks Ian!

In the process of further tidying the region in question here but not going to remove too much more surface relief than what's seen here I think:

50852447337_b3ae8c1818_b.jpg

On 16/01/2021 at 15:54, CedB said:

Sadly the T-Roc has its camera in the rear VW badge/boot opener - it flips open when you engage reverse and flips closed when you exceed 5km (or something).

Missile lock sticker on the lens Ced? :hmmm:😁

7223589_0.jpg

On 16/01/2021 at 16:41, giemme said:

Tony, thank you for going through the different bonding options - most useful

My pleasure G - something I should have done earlier to give people and idea of the practicalities of assembly printed resin parts tbh.

On 16/01/2021 at 17:26, Pete in Lincs said:

I like the rippled effect on the skin. Even fairly new Aircraft can have it.

It's a minor obsession of mine the way that kit surfaces can be so egregiously smooth and regular in ways that physical surfaces aren't always themselves.

The visual equivalent of a holding your face in fixed grin for the camera.....

On 16/01/2021 at 17:52, Spookytooth said:

He forgot one Giorgio, a case of beer and some good food....

😀:nodding:

On 17/01/2021 at 00:31, corsaircorp said:

Araldite ?? AÎ caramba, It's a very fine allergy trigger for me...

For God's sake - what have you been putting it on CC? :evil_laugh:

Diesel or gasoline ??

Diesel, 1.6.

If it's a diesel, take care of RGE valve... A trip of 50Km twice a month is a fine way to achieve it...

Usually the motors get a good blast going into and out of work as it's about 40km from home. CV-19 and working from home though  have put the lid on that for a bit so it'll have to get the odd 'soot-burner' of a blast down some of the backroads locally instead.

A marly Exhaust cleaner every 35.000 Miles and that's it !

Is there a particular brand you'd recommend CC?

I'd almost forgotten the pleasures of a messy bench scattered with tools...

50851632883_11f5b59fd2_b.jpg

This made for a pleasant session last evening tidying up the control surfaces and stores, followed by fixing some brass pins in the latter for mounting onto their pylons:

50851632873_60757f03dd_b.jpg

Actually and metaphorically I also took the 'plunge' and did a test vacform from the resin buck:

50851632898_6237e77bdb_b.jpg

At 0.3mm thickness, this PET sheet is a bit thinner than the actual 0.5mm stuff I'm proposing to use for the real thing as although it gives great clarity, I'm concerned that the interface with the fuselage won't give a big enough bonding area to glue it in place securely enough.

Pleased to say though that in addition to a nice smooth teardrop profile, the  frame and fairing details also reproduced well:

50852352466_1285b00e47_b.jpg

50851632893_58501d3127_b.jpg

Tacked into place temporarily:

50852352481_c832d5173b_b.jpg

The more eagle-eyed will notice here that some time back I broke the central dividing frame for the canopy off of the fuselage ( as part of which it was printed): as it's a fragile element so easily snapped off during handling, I'm reconsidering the advisability of print it as part of the nose section and reproducing it as a separate part to be added later instead. It was kept separate in the Fusion designs anyway for just such an eventuality.

The buck itself?

As Alan confidently predicted, it survived without any damage at all so good to go next time:

50851632938_dab91a475b_b.jpg

After a squirt of Halford's grey all over the airframe for quality checks, the unprimed control surfaces and stores were added to check for any assembly problems. Due to the expected resin shrinkage, some slight filing was needed to fit the rudders and ailerons into their recesses, but pleasingly only a very small amount:

50851632958_a5ebc2064c_h.jpg

50852352501_2a2fa3630a_h.jpg

Heartening to be able to report that the airframe is in pretty good visual shape - some residual sharpening up of filler excess at the wing roots in one or two places still needs doing generally the amount of cleanup involved has (aside from the top of the engine bays and boom sides that I mentioned previously) been largely as a result of my 0ver-generosity with resin filler rather, than any flaws in printing technique.

As a test mule anyway, that's really the point of this version, to feel my way around it now as a set of interacting physical objects. and develop a sense of how to address it as such.

50851632973_c3bed37c1c_b.jpg

50851632988_7861cc695f_b.jpg

A closer look at the control surfaces in place:

50852352521_e90f953ffc_b.jpg

50852447422_db0f22e4b6_b.jpg

Martel testbed and 150 gall.:

50851633003_691e385a1a_b.jpg

Actually holding the aircraft in your paws after a year of staring at it in virtual form is an experience as bewildering as it is satisfying. One thing I've learned from holding it as well is that it's likely to be a tailsitter, so will need weight added to the nose section, and secondly, as XJ481 is going to be posed in flight, I need to think of an unobtrusive way of mounting it in Whoosh mode; some final shots to finish in this vein then:

50852447457_544a324b0c_b.jpg

50852352551_4eee411319_b.jpg

50852447452_d38692995d_b.jpg

After tidying away any excess filler from the aforementioned wing roots, I'll leave it at that for the '481 mule and turn attention to outputting the more complicated XN708 version.

Hope your weeks are going well so far.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 23

On 15/01/2021 at 14:05, Marklo said:

A question; is the cad model drawn 1:1 or to scale.

Mark: apologies for not responding to this in the last update. To answer your question, the designs in Fusion are effectively scale-independent, in that being a mathematical description of shape and volume, it is infinitely scalable. A bit like an SVG is for a graphical image is the easiest way to appreciate this.

Mine just happens to have started life in 1/72 but could be rescaled to any size without loss of resolution.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dear Baron, 

Now, it's a really nice Sea Vixen !!

Thanks for sharing this way of futuristic modelling.

Marly is the brand, There are exhaust cleaners in other brand of course... 

Avoid the one presented in 2 bottles that must be mixed right before going in the fuel tank...

I'm about sure that nobody has explained the Pf regeneration....

If the regeneration is happening while you're driving, you'll surely not notice it...

Unless you check your immediate fuel consumption...

But, if one day, engine running on idle, you notice that rpm are a bit higher (around 1100 rpm)

Engine make a different noise (a bit like a fuel boiler) Radiator fan are running.... And sometimes a distastefull smell behind the car...

Please DO NOT turn off the engine, let it run in idle until the rpm went back to around 900rpm as usual...

When two or more of these symptom are present it mean that PF is regenerating... And one must let it finish the job...

Guess how I know it.... Every week I have to fix VAG cars with jammed RGE valve or obstructed PF... And it's expensive...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

50852447337_b3ae8c1818_b.jpg

Get away with you, that's a real one in a museum somewhere, you can't fool us......

Seriously - that is just brilliant, absolutely stunning model and a fantastic piccie!

I rather like that   :)

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

It sure is, this lad knows well of what he speaks.

I will not be drawn into politics but blimey our officials were quick to jump us all into the diesel bed to shut up the man-mader cc-ers.

Well colleague,

When I see what the automotive industry is doing nowadays....:wall:

Diesel has always be simple, efficient and reliable...

But with all this so called ecologic technologie, or green engine, or blue efficiency... 

It just give me a strong motivation to get retired ASAP....

Mind it... Burning amoniac make your Diesel cleaner...:rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

Another week gone in a blur eh?

Read somebody on Twitter the other evening saying that they only have two times now - day o'clock and night o'clock - to which I can completely sympathize. Seriously beginning to hate Teams meetings as a poor signal/noise replacement for face-to-face contact. It feels so false pretending bonhomie to a blasted camera lens.

It's all been downhill in my opinion since people used to send each other considered monographs on obscure subjects by post coach once a month...

Speaking of which! :rofl:⤵️

On 19/01/2021 at 13:57, Pete in Lincs said:

Look down at the transition of the booms as they slim down from horizontal to vertical. 

It's in the same vein as looking at an E Type Coupe,  just NAUGHTY!

'The therapist will see you now Mr In Lincs.'

On 19/01/2021 at 16:09, giemme said:

Try some photoediting and remove your fingers from the wing, will you?

They're actually part of the build Giorgio: the model comes with a set of prosthetic fingers to hold it instead of a stand. :winkgrin:

On 19/01/2021 at 19:52, corsaircorp said:

Marly is the brand,

Thanks CC.

On 19/01/2021 at 20:05, perdu said:

I will not be drawn into politics but blimey our officials were quick to jump us all into the diesel bed to shut up the man-mader cc-ers.

On 20/01/2021 at 07:16, corsaircorp said:

But with all this so called ecologic technologie, or green engine, or blue efficiency... 

It just give me a strong motivation to get retired ASAP....

Quit moaning you two and put some more coal in the Lada:

On 19/01/2021 at 21:41, keefr22 said:

Get away with you, that's a real one in a museum somewhere, you can't fool us......

😁:thumbsup2:

That reminds me that I miss being able to go to museums Keith, really miss them...

On 19/01/2021 at 22:34, AdrianMF said:

It must be great to finally see and touch your model after a year of CAD. It looks amazing.

On 19/01/2021 at 23:05, CedB said:

Stunning, just stunning Tony

I still occasionally wander over to pick bits up with a sense of wonder that it's now possible to do this stuff at all Adrian Ced.

Contrary to appearances I have been carrying on with the resin-Grail quest in free time over the week - having to do a lot of writing for work at the moment means being able to switch to something visual is almost a form of relaxation so it's great to have this hobby psychological condition sometimes.

Mainly though it's been the unexciting task of going through the inventory of parts for XN708 and exporting them from Fusion in the kind of printable clusters that will prove most structurally-feasible and time -economical to print - a process retarded somewhat by the fact that in some regions of the aircraft it's been several months since I worked on them and trying to recollect what I'd decided back then about arrangements and orders of assembly has been an uphill struggle at times. Doing the recent [print of XJ481 a while back definitely helped though in terms of focusing the mind on such matters, so one change I'd made from previously was to decide that because of the thinner side walls to the open engine bays on '708, I'm going to print them with the wings roots included in order to avoid a weak butt-join being necessary there:

50864133486_9bbf6520a7_b.jpg

Also added were recesses in the root and just inside of the wing fence to provide mounting points for the jury struts:

50863423368_e092ae2d22_b.jpg

The actual strut shown here won't be printed as brass tubing is a far better candidate for this part on the kit.

A simple mounting hole isn't of course strictly accurate in terms of the real thing but at 1/72, it's simply not feasible to reproduce in a strong enough form the latching points:

50863422388_50fa6a6178_c.jpg

The position of the jury strut seems to be something a number of builds around the web haven't always got entirely correct in my view so I spent quite a lot for time triangulating from about a dozen different photos showing this arrangement from different angles - famous last words/hostage to fortune and all that... :facepalm:😁

The tricky job of outputting the wings and fold mechanisms is up next and want to get my teeth into that tomorrow morning.

For tonight though, just to say I hope you've all got through the week fine and to leave you with a photo of the scrap metal collection they're making for charity in the village here, turned by moonlinght into something approaching Paul Nash's Totes Meer:

50857324956_d3882bfc82_c.jpg

(Cameraphone shot so apologies for the noisy image)

A friend from up North recently sent me a copy of John Kennedy Toole 's A Confederacy of Dunces as a late Christmas present and how did I never read this horrible delight until now?

Tony

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

'The therapist will see you now Mr In Lincs.'

It's all to do with curves. And, The name, It's not called Vixen for nothing you know. Mind you, Sadly, the Hillman Minx was never going to cut it with those looks.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's all to do with curves. And, The name, It's not called Vixen for nothing you know. Mind you, Sadly, the Hillman Minx was never going to cut it with those looks.

The less said about the Mitsubishi Minica Winky the better..

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Also added were recesses in the root and just inside of the wing fence to provide mounting points for the jury struts:

50863423368_e092ae2d22_b.jpg

The actual strut shown here won't be printed as brass tubing is a far better candidate for this part on the kit.

A simple mounting hole isn't of course strictly accurate in terms of the real thing but at 1/72, it's simply not feasible to reproduce in a strong enough form the latching points:

50863422388_50fa6a6178_c.jpg

The position of the jury strut seems to be something a number of builds around the web haven't always got entirely correct in my view so I spent quite a lot for time triangulating from about a dozen different photos showing this arrangement from different angles - famous last words/hostage to fortune and all that... :facepalm:😁

The tricky job of outputting the wings and fold mechanisms is up next and want to get my teeth into that tomorrow morning.

Agree and think that jury struts made from a suitably sized length of Albion Alloys brass tubing slid over a length of brass wire will produce a reasonable strut.

CJP

• Like 1

I just showed my wife the video of the Lada.  I then told her about the context of this thread.  Her response was ; "Ah a steam powered aircraft".  Mind you, she is Russian and found the original comments humourous. ;)

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A friend from up North recently sent me a copy of John Kennedy Toole 's A Confederacy of Dunces as a late Christmas present and how did I never read this horrible delight until now?

I lived in New Orleans for ten years: whats horrifying is that it's completely authentic, in terms of observed detail. I KNEW some of those characters.

Possibly the funniest book I have ever read.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Tony

Somebody on eBay is selling this masterpiece for £295 +p&p, (signed first edition I hasten to add) so it had better be good.

I bought it, no silly, not THAT one, mine arrives next week.

Couldn't turn it down with such ringing endorsements, thanks guys.

Oh by the way Tony, I am not such a philipstyne.

When it becomes time to railroad I get on the train...

My electric car (when nature and time conspire against the Focus*) will be sure to suit me just as much as the MGs do.

*other hydrocarbon burning ICE cars are still available...

• Like 2