Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

38 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Am utterly confused Benedikt - you mean you actually know these women?

Oh Tony, my B-princess wasn't that sexy. I wish, that they were the ones, who brought that pain in the back of my mouth for quite more than one year! Sadly not and  I had to put up with my usual dentist and the crew so far. A very sad story :whistle:

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Have you been drinking with Belgians again, Guillaume?

If one had perhaps been occupied in such a pastime would one be at fault?

Again...

I protest sirrah, please note the protest in the minutes for reference.

And would you kindly act for me as accused person's friend, should such considerations be necessary?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry, I must have missed your Heliograph message regarding Tuesdays update due to poor visibility. 

Never mind, I've just done the catch up and had to down a drop or two of Mr Jamesons' finest to still my racing heart.

As smart as a very smart thing on inspection day in the Guards. And then some. The resin filler/laser is clever too.

The new car sounds like a challenge. A few weeks ago I was fixing the rear washers on my Wifes car. She was in the house, talking to my Daughter on the mobile.

Every time I turned on the ignition, I was suddenly talking to my Daughter, while my Wife wondered where she'd gone to! Technology eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Obviously My Dear Baron !! Obviously !!

Create a 1/48 avro Bison and take my money !!

Now you know you can....

Sincerely...

CC

PS, I'm quite sure that a certain Xenomorph from a red planet will sign up too...

Ahem !! Dear @Martian I need some support here !!

CC

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I  grow more and more impressed with use of the printing resin as both glue and filler - the combination of it remaining in a liquid state for as long as you want whilst positioning parts and then an almost instant 'grab' as it hardens under the laser makes it almost my favourite medium at the moment (for similar reasons to liking brass and soldering):

50835089753_7667b74347_b.jpg

So it's kind of like cosmic ray superglue, yes? 😜

Seriously Tony, I am so very impressed with this.

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Steady on CC, if Tony were to misread that for 1/48 Myasishchev M-4 Bison, you could be looking at a serious cost there!

Terry

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I'd rather have a Blackburn Blackburn.....!!

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sorry, I must have missed your Heliograph message regarding Tuesdays update due to poor visibility. 

Same here,hadn't even noticed it was foggy....

But I've caught up too, and two days late can't really think of anything to add that hasn't already been said so I'll just say I agree with the rest of them!

Wonderful work Tony!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Steady on CC, if Tony were to misread that for 1/48 Myasishchev M-4 Bison, you could be looking at a serious cost there!

Terry

I can see how he could misread Myasishchev for Avro.

AW

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

50835821866_d784eae7c7_h.jpg

I’m on the hunt for new superlatives - in the meantime I thought I’d just re-post this photo, as it frankly speaks for itself.

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Now a very selfish question: do you think the resin parts could be glued together just as well using CA?

Seeing as Giorgio started the Q&A :D  That printing resin looks like a splendid fixer and filler combined - is it likely to work on pouring resin as well? or even regular kit -plastic? Or does it only bond with itself as it were. Chemistry ain’t my strong point....nor is anything else really tbh...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Each time this thread comes to the top I give it a look and kept wondering why it was so long and if there was any model making going on, much as I love 3D cad on this forum I like to see plastic wrangling :)  ( there are one or two threads I can think of) and come away a tad confused.

I suppose I’m also a bit ambivalent to 3D printing for modelling too, much as I love the technology ( and I do) I am a bit nervous tat in a few years we’ll be able to just dial up a model, colour scheme and level of detail and print it off, and there goes the hobby.

Although the parallel I can think of would be a number of former colleagues who took up bow hunting instead of guns for similar reasons ( not a big fan of hunting, but I can just about accept it provided you eat what you hunt and it doesn’t suffer) I might add that my erstwhile colleague said that for the first year or so of bow hunting he could have been sponsored by PETA :)  

Now I finally see a wonderfully well done sea vixen, which reflects the huge amount of cad work and skill hithertofore  shown in the thread. I’m really looking forward to seeing it get finished.

A question; is the cad model drawn 1:1 or to scale. I’m thinking 1/48th scale vixen here. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

Chemistry ain’t my strong point....nor is anything else really tbh...

Oh I wouldn't say that. Most of us have only driven along the A487, and I wouldn't mind betting you have done it in some style, just a bit higher.......

And then there are those two Hawks I seem to recall ............ do I, or was that a dream I had?

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

People have been saying things.

I am saying things.

We are saying things.

Britmodeller translation: 'It is Saturday lunchtime'

On 14/01/2021 at 21:22, perdu said:

I can get lost 'flying' up into those skyscapes too Tony.

Spent many an hour lying on my back going up there and I am not even ashamed to admit it.

🤗 Bill

A man after my own heart - sky reveries are the best reveries imo.

An ancient and calming pleasure.

On 14/01/2021 at 21:27, hendie said:

Immediately reminded me of this scene from that old classic....

Perfect Alan. 👏

On 14/01/2021 at 21:27, hendie said:

Wonderful achievement Tony

Thanks. Still a way to go yet with analyzing all the 'fit' issues of course, noting any modifications needed to the design, plus the more complex XN708 version to print and test also. I have to say in general terms though that thus far, I'm relieved that the holistic shape of the airframe has performed so well.

On 14/01/2021 at 21:28, giemme said:

We would say "Oddio-oddio-oddio..." etc... (just like saying OMG)

😁

On 14/01/2021 at 21:29, bbudde said:

I had to put up with my usual dentist and the crew so far

I sympathize Benedikt - my own dentist has been reminding me for the last two years that my 'routine' check up is overdue. As she dug a molar out last time, is she surprised at my reticence? :laugh:

On 14/01/2021 at 22:15, Pete in Lincs said:

Never mind, I've just done the catch up and had to down a drop or two of Mr Jamesons' finest to still my racing heart.

You'll not got far wrong in life with such habits Pete. :thumbsup2:

Although I no longer drink, either a Talisker or a Bushmills (Black for preference) would have been a favoured treat when I'd been a very good boy in the past.

On 14/01/2021 at 22:15, Pete in Lincs said:

The resin filler/laser is clever too.

No joke: outside of brass and solder I think it's become my favourite contruction method!

On 14/01/2021 at 23:02, corsaircorp said:

Now you know you can....

Are you a very rich man CC? :rofl:

On 14/01/2021 at 23:25, Terry1954 said:

So it's kind of like cosmic ray superglue, yes? 

That's  pretty fair description of the alchemy involved Terry in my book! 😁

A sobering thought that if a star near our solar system turn nova, the first we'll know is all the printing resin on Earth suddenly solidifying...

On 14/01/2021 at 23:37, CedB said:

Nice Vixen Tony, but we need pictures of the new car!

Behold Ced - the Red Baron...

50840417623_d4cd060693_b.jpg

It's a 2016 so should last until the EV market becomes a more realistic option in this neck of the woods.

(I'm currently trying to work out how to fix a set of 1/72 Brownings in front of the reversing camera so that it looks like a view out of the rear turret.)

On 14/01/2021 at 23:40, keefr22 said:

But I've caught up too, and two days late can't really think of anything to add that hasn't already been said so I'll just say I agree with the rest of them!

Agreed Keith. 😜

On 14/01/2021 at 23:48, The Spadgent said:

It’s alive!!!!

It's nearly killed me getting this far Johnny. :rofl:

On 15/01/2021 at 07:03, Andwil said:

I can see how he could misread Myasishchev for Avro.

You do realize that half the message on this forum are in code and nothing to do with modelling AW? 😁

On 15/01/2021 at 07:58, Pete in Lincs said:

Two days ago on the bay, in the used model kits, was a built Afro Vulcan!

'All Vulcans are built sweetheart'.

858301407473541727.jpg

On 15/01/2021 at 11:45, Fritag said:

I thought I’d just re-post this photo, as it frankly speaks for itself.

I apologize Steve and everyone.

The white trainers are not standard kit at the bench as a rule; I simply haven't been able to pop over to Lobb's to get the old tasselled Ghillies resoled this season.

On 14/01/2021 at 21:28, giemme said:

do you think the resin parts could be glued together just as well using CA?

On 15/01/2021 at 11:45, Fritag said:

Seeing as Giorgio started the Q&A :D  That printing resin looks like a splendid fixer and filler combined - is it likely to work on pouring resin as well? or even regular kit -plastic? Or does it only bond with itself as it were.

Giorgio & Steve: a potentially important question so after reading your questions I did some assembly tests last night using various adhesives on some earlier discarded prints, to whit:

50840417673_74b7fc2ddd_b.jpg

The adhesives speak for themselves, but this was the casting resin used for reference:

50841139471_968ebf8a31_b.jpg

Everything successfully stuck the resin together but of course the key factor is the bond strength so this morning I proceeded (in an orderly manner, your honour) to try snapping the various bits back off again as a stress test, with the following results:

50840417683_fd1d416abd_b.jpg

Best performer (by a long chalk) was the Araldite (standard 24hr cure version), whereas the poorest was the casting resin (which snapped almost immediately any pressure was placed on it). The CA, GS Hypo and Gator's Grip were all pretty similar in being fairly Ok at keeping the parts stuck together until you put any half-serious pressure on them. To give an idea of what I mean by this, they're probably borderline ok for basic assembly, but if you were to knock small parts or drop large parts, the bond would easily give way. If not using printing resin as a bonding medium then, the Araldite would be by far the best and most durable alternative - so much so in fact that as you can see, the cured resin parts will likely break before the Araldite bond gives way:

50841335796_712bf6ce1c_b.jpg

After pruning the apple trees first thing this morning I spent some time clearing up the seams on the aircraft where I'd joined the various sections of the airframe together during the week.

Viewed under a fairly even light, surfaces always tend to look cosmetically better than they actually are:

50841426667_1a2b7a6017_b.jpg

50841335991_b2789e20fa_b.jpg

- so I wanted to make sure to give the aircraft a merciless scrutiny under strong directional lighting to show up any flaws in either the printed surfaces, or in the seam lines between parts.

The udersides don't actually look to bad at all in their raw state - clumsy scalpel scratching in a few places where I'd been carving away excess resin from the bonds, but nothing major:

50841426737_a1ffae409c_b.jpg

A little  more to finesse perhaps on the underside of the port exhaust fairing where it joins the fuselage, but the seams on he booms look ok now:

50841335906_b2c43f3156_b.jpg

There's a slight difference in size at the joins between booms and wing roots - I think due to the stresses of essentially the same shape on either side being printed (necessarily because of where the supports have to go on both wing and boom sections) in different orientation in the resin. Some minor carving and planing was enough to remedy the mismatch.

Boom and exhaust fairings up top mate nice and flush with the wing/fuselage sections also now:

50840613463_e462f0940a_b.jpg

50841426697_9f6ec3341a_b.jpg

I think I'd mentioned previously some of the minor 'rippling' on the top of the fuselage caused from the printing orientation- under a very extreme lighting angle you can see this clearly:

50840613513_ae9655dccf_b.jpg

Although some judicious light sanding will counteract this feature, I'm conscious that when viewed from a similarly extreme lighting angle, the actual aircraft evinces some gentle undulations and irregularities on the various surface panels:

50841386716_23cd00ff6e_m.jpg

Image credit: (if this is you please let me know as I found the image long ago and can't recollect the source)

- so I won't try sanding to a mirror smoothness but instead leave a visual hint of irregularity behind I think...

Boundary layer/fairing and intake ducts came out nicely for the scale. though it'll require some strong lighting from the front to render the engines visible down that tunnel...

50840613528_c99382131a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking-in: have a great weekend all of you!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18