Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

Good?

Uncanny I calls it, total gobsmacking territory Tony.

Thanks for showing me this brave new world.

As for the practicalities, how will you stick these parts together?

Will it be cyanosendyoumadgoo or is there a normal for resins glue available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good job I'm sitting down with a glass of that Irish stuff with an E in the name. 

Tae?

Have you seen the colour it leaves the inside of a teapot?

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Phenomenal ! 

Kind of u friend. :thanks:

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Of that I'm sure and that you could do some simple parts of my missing diecasts for sure, but that's another story. But not at the moment. Great work at all on that

Thanks as always Benedikt - we'll have to look at those diecast parts one day!

16 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Excellent printing there Baron! Looks as good as an injected kit.

Thank you most kindly Mr. L.

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Tony, I'm literally salivating!

I'll take my compliments in whatever form the audience wishes to express itself Giorgio... :rofl:

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Will you still talk to us after you've made your first Million?

Not saying....

😁

Didn't I see one of these in a Star wars film?

The similarities in the angled nose area are quite similar I'll grant you Pete...

1487330453-jar-jar-binks.jpg?resize=980:*

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I admit I still don't understand 99% of the design process,

Drawing.

It's all just drawing Keith. :nodding:

Granted you're having to keep a holographic map of the original  in your head whilst designing it on a 2d screen, but it's all still just observational drawing at root.

(Thanks for the kind words.)

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Clucking bell !!!! Tony, what a piece of magical work.

Glad to have you long for the ride Simon.

And now, you've apparently got Keith looking at your physical parts! Lock the bedroom door! 🚪

My fault for featuring them so prominently in the Tinder profile.

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Stunning stuff Tony - you must be very pleased with those bits, especially the lovely detail!

Many thanks Ced. :thumbsup2:

I must confess that when I first saw that little radar console emerge from the resin looking so close to the original drawing, a brief libation was offered to the Gods of Modelling.

13 hours ago, hendie said:

Though I had very little doubt that you would pull this off successfully, I still feel that congratulations are in order.

Thanks Alan - and in return I must acknowledge the debt I owe you to:

a) convincing me to expand operations into the UV/resin arena

b) sharing your insights into process along the way.

I should also add that your most recent recommendation of this:

50820907632_15c518e281_c.jpg

-proved vastly superior (in terms of removing prints from the platen in terms of not stressing them at all) compared to the scraper that Elegoo provided for the process.

12 hours ago, CJP said:

the way you have steered this project from conception through planning, learning to use a 3D printer and ending up with print out you have is nothing short of brilliant.

There's the minor matter of learning to do photo-etching now of course but as @Fritag made it look so relaxing a process on his Hawk I'm not afeared! :worry:

7 hours ago, Brandy said:

Cap doffed. Very well done indeed sir!

Most kind of you as always Ian - I should have acknowledged in yesterday's update also that the Martel body print was corrected on the strength of your cogent observation about the first design for it obstructing the undercarriage door. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Congratulations Tony, excellent result.

Many thanks Colin. :thumbsup2:

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

Fantastic stuff, I doubt we’ll see anything better for a long time.

Kind of you AW. :thumbsup2:

(I'll hold on to the original design so that I can re-print them entirely from brass towards the end of the decade....)

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

An all embracing WOW from me! Proper job.

Glad you approve Terry. 😁

50 minutes ago, perdu said:

As for the practicalities, how will you stick these parts together?

Will it be cyanosendyoumadgoo or is there a normal for resins glue available.

An important question Bill. :nodding:

The strongest and most reliable bonding I've found for tbhis material is to use the actual printing resin itself as an adhesive to fix the parts together; one of these cheap 405Nm UV lasers does the job at curing a bond almost instantly.

It's equally at good for running repairs.

You can see below some damage caused by having supports too close to a wing root on an earlier print, and a spurious drainage hole near the arrestor hook bay:

50818324626_50f7356fbd_b.jpg

Both restored in under 10 mins with no difference in material qualities between part and repair:

50818423982_29dac8a739_b.jpg

In the case of non- (print) resin based assembly I'd probably plump for the ever-reliable Araldite epoxy resin (for bond strength and carvability of any excess).

21 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Geoffrey himself would have been impressed with that.

Zippy less so I suspect though....

rexfeatures_839314ff.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

I'm delighted!!!!

When you started this project I thought it wasn't for me. I'm no fan of 3D-printers and CAD and for sure I couldn't imagine this was what you were going for, but now I'll read all your posts again from the beginning and a different perspective!!!

I'll enjoy it!!!

For now I'll wait for your next update with the parts cleaned up!

Well done!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

'Oh I say' (to use one of the late Dan Maskell's favourite expressions).

Of course I comprehended(ish) that you were making an actual kit, Tony.  But now it's not solely digital but is proper real n' all it’s just so obviously a huge achievement (already). Exquisite details.

TBH, the pleasure I had when I first cast a part from resin in a silicone mould now feels a bit like ozymandian hubris :D  I might have to go back and edit a few old (all right very old - before anyone mentions it....) posts :blush:

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 9

Today's update is to be read aloud in the voice of 'Fluff' Freeman:

Alan_Freeman.gif

On 10/01/2021 at 13:46, Massimo said:

When you started this project I thought it wasn't for me. I'm no fan of 3D-printers and CAD and for sure I couldn't imagine this was what you were going for, but now I'll read all your posts again from the beginning and a different perspective!!!

I'll enjoy it!!!

That gave me great pleasure to read Massimo - my thanks! 😁

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

'Oh I say'

Compliment enough Steve! 😄

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

I might have to go back and edit a few old (all right very old - before anyone mentions it....) posts 

'He who controls the past, controls the forum....' :shocked: :laugh:

We-llll, working from home at present means that it's a saunter of but a few paces from the old architect's table I use to conduct 'work' work from, to the bench where the Vixen parts sit. On breaks, it's a therapeutic act to go and remove some supports or do a bit of light sanding but I'm afraid impetuousness got the better of me this evening and I couldn't resist bunging some parts together.

Tools for the trade:

50829171992_006a469771_b.jpg

1. Puddle of printing resin.

2. Cocktail stick for application

3. 405nm UV laser

Method: run the cocktail stick of resin (as you would any adhesive) along the surface to be bonded. Press together and run laser along to cure ( about 15 seconds is enough to cure a patch before moving along.

The exhaust fairing and engine bays shown above went together quite handily:

50828336973_097b7bf2c0_b.jpg

The presence of a  seam at the interface is a a slight bevelling that can occur sometimes during printing in the vicinity of supports - such junctions are easily filled with a material of choice. I'm rather pleased with how those various openings and recesses in the top panels of the engine bay have turned out -  I wasn't at all sure they'd emerge intact from the gloop, but glad I added them now.

None of the parts stuck together today have been filled thus far to conceal any joins as I think it's important to be honest and show the visual condition of parts stuck together prior to any later cosmetic preparation.

Warts and all &etc.

Likewise, none of the surfaces have been sanded yet except where printing supports were removed.

Wing seams likewise were  pleasant surprise (given the large surface areas involved)

50828336988_27b3427333_b.jpg

50829172102_0bd6cd4162_b.jpg

Elevator onto tailplane likewise:

50829172112_987464184b_b.jpg

As I mentioned previously the 'peg' for the join with the tail booms needs to be made smaller in order to fit more neatly into the recess in the boom, as I had to file it down a little today to get it to fit:

50828337053_78a8478236_b.jpg

I think printing the tail unit as a single sub-assembly has turned out to be a good idea for two prominent reasons; not only are there less parts to have to assemble and subsequently fiddle with getting their correct vertical and horizontal orientations in a jig (one of my 'anxiety' activities in any build...), but equally they assist in getting the wings correctly positioned and angled in relation to the fuselage as well.

Note also above that Herbert Hamfist here managed to drop the stbd wing right on its weakest part at the rear of the root this morning at coffee whilst turning it in the light. Mumble mumble hubris &etc. (Another job later on for the Running Repair Resin Co....)

Progress so far from above:

50828337183_6ac03cb156_c.jpg

50829088011_0a44141c97_b.jpg

Below:

50829172207_be59949e66_b.jpg

50828337153_aaa43dd0d6_b.jpg

One thing the part cleanup emphasized to me today was also to be patient and observant with filing/sanding long areas like the wing where it meets the fuselage and again the underside of the wing/boom junction, in both places you can see above my inattentiveness in not keeping the sihrsc parallel to the edge and hence creating a gap. Just poor damn craftspersonship on my part for which I've received a stern self-talking-to.

Side aspect:

50829088031_8f3b3ee336_b.jpg

AI.18 in place on the Obs. side:

50829172017_4fcf17c277_b.jpg

Obs. rails added 'because':

50829172297_d714fa6013_b.jpg

If there's time tomorrow I'll fix that into that nose section and add that on to the fuselage to complete assembly of the main parts of the airframe:

50829087996_a84aa8a35c_b.jpg

Off now though to watch Netflix and eat more chocolate than is medically wise.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Great work Tony. I wish you could do a tooth like that for me as my B-princess lost her crown and has gone forever after taking it over top  for sure Wasn't funny till now,as I can say.

Btw.: Great work

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Holy Molly !!

All these CAD stuff bear such nice fruits :gobsmacked:

Hat off Dear Baron !!

Now you're able to do whatever you wanted...

An Avro Bison next ??

Astonishing....

I confess that I think "Where is he going with all this computer stuff..." But now, I see !!

Congratulations...

What are you going to do with the original kits ??

Mmmmh okay, I get out...:coat:

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Excellent result Tony.  That there is as good a job as any injection molded kit from any of the mainstream manufacturers in terms of joints.  In terms of refinement and quality of detail,  you have far surpassed them.  

If you can just stop from dropping your parts  (fnaar), you're onto a winner

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Having read but not commented much l must say that is some exceptional work you have done from start to where you are now.

Do we call you a model manufacturer now ?

Regards

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did I mention I hate working from home? The company is awful but at least the coffee is good.

Thank ModelGods for the occasional bit of resin to footer with at lunchtime.

Am also getting the hang of the new car to the extent that I've been accidentally Bluetoothing images to it all day from the phone and wondering why they aren't appearing on the laptop. For somebody used to working with technology it also has a terrifying series of settings for adaptive cruise control  on the steering column that means I'm one inadvertant windscreen wiper activation away from randomly accelerating through a hedge.

On the plus side, at least I'll be able to Bluetooth images of the incident...

To mail first.

On 12/01/2021 at 20:21, Spookytooth said:

In the words of the great "Fluff Freeman"  "Not Arf " good.

He just loved that job Simon and passed the love on...

On 12/01/2021 at 20:26, bbudde said:

I wish you could do a tooth like that for me as my B-princess lost her crown

Am utterly confused Benedikt - you mean you actually know these women?

On 12/01/2021 at 21:09, CedB said:

OMG that’s looking bloomin’ marvellous

Cheers Mr. B. :thumbsup:

On 12/01/2021 at 21:38, corsaircorp said:

Now you're able to do whatever you wanted...

An Avro Bison next ??

Not the first time you've taunted me with that spectre CC - it's almost as if you actually want one! 😜 :rofl:

On 12/01/2021 at 21:44, perdu said:

Thanks Tony, might as well start painting her now.

Alan confiscated my crayons Bill. It'll have to be poster paint instead...😁

On 12/01/2021 at 22:38, hendie said:

That there is as good a job as any injection molded kit from any of the mainstream manufacturers in terms of joints.

As you would have expected Alan, there has been some minor differential shrinkage in one or two places that affects some of the interfaces between parts, but nothing that isn't easily remediable.

On 12/01/2021 at 22:38, hendie said:

If you can just stop from dropping your parts  (fnaar), you're onto a winner

Hard to break the habit of a lifetime...

On 13/01/2021 at 02:33, AdrianMF said:

I think that summarises my thoughts on the matter...

I love that GIF Adrian!

On 13/01/2021 at 04:05, CJP said:

I love seeing the Sea Vixen's big wing in plan view

It's an utterly singular aircraft isn't it?

On 13/01/2021 at 04:59, Procopius said:

Listen Wonka, how much for one of them Sea Vixens? Name your price.

:rofl:

Meet me by the Ferris wheel in the next film Edward...

thirdmanferris.jpg

Payment in unmarked schillings...

On 13/01/2021 at 07:58, Hamden said:

With the level of detail you have achieved it's hard to believe this 1/72 scale

Kind of you as always Roger - it still staggers me that there's no wholly accurate kit of this available at 1/72 tbh. I consider it a basic social service to bring one forth.

On 13/01/2021 at 10:50, Robert said:

Having read but not commented much l must say that is some exceptional work you have done from start to where you are now.

Exceptionally generous of you to say so Robert - thank you!

On 13/01/2021 at 10:50, Robert said:

Do we call you a model manufacturer now ?

Gentleman's Resin Outfitter has a nice old-world ring to it no? 🤦‍♂️:laugh:

On 13/01/2021 at 14:25, giemme said:

OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy-OhMy

What's that In Italian Giorgio? :rofl:

On 13/01/2021 at 14:28, perdu said:

Shop time Tony.

'Operators are standing by to take your call!' 😁

Erj5zFAW8AE8TLa?format=jpg&name=medium

That's actually Birmingham Central Telephone Exchange, in about 1900! (My hard drive is cluttered with such oddities...)

In all seriousness, there's still a great deal more that I need to test and resolve about the aircraft in printed form before I'd have the effrontery to offer it to anyone else as a bona fide 'kit' for assembly Bill. With craftsmen such as yourself around I feel duty bound to ensure that it's technically complete as a working entity.

Now, this evening's brief update is simultaneously a combination of progress with airframe assembly and brief tutorial about the efficacy of the print resin as both adhesive and filler. To whit, the schnozz is now on:

50835089798_bea020f593_b.jpg

In the interests of full disclosure, shown here without any filling or sanding.

50835089748_87d261e4ab_b.jpg

That more pronounced gap at the wing/intake junction on the port side worried me at first. It's not there in the actual designs of coutrse and noot so pronounced to stbd, so I think results from a slight 'bowing-out' of the middle wing root on the port side due to suction from the resin whilst printing - I just need to be more careful prior to assembly next time to file it down flat all the way along to avoid it leaving the wing about 0.5mm or so proud of the interface at the front.

I  grow more and more impressed with use of the printing resin as both glue and filler - the combination of it remaining in a liquid state for as long as you want whilst positioning parts and then an almost instant 'grab' as it hardens under the laser makes it almost my favourite medium at the moment (for similar reasons to liking brass and soldering):

50835089753_7667b74347_b.jpg

As it has the same material qualities as the airframe itself, when used as a filler you can get to work on the hardened resin immediately in terms of blending it in.

Here, any excess was trimmed away with a fresh scalpel and then final carving/planing done along the contours of the airframe with a Stanely blade held in the fingers:

50835821846_66ffbf6cdd_b.jpg

Even in this unsanded condition, the integration of surfaces is becoming almost invisible.

I'll do the booms, exhaust fairing and undersides in similar fashion next, then after adding control surfaces, see how that resin buck holds up in a vacform test for the canopy.

50835821866_d784eae7c7_h.jpg

Final image tonight of some high altitude clouds over the house during the recent cold snap. I got utterly lost falling upwards into that endless detail:

50828338423_883868a4ca_b.jpg

Keep well me dears.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Fantastico.

I can get lost 'flying' up into those skyscapes too Tony.

Spent many an hour lying on my back going up there and I am not even ashamed to admit it.

Oh yes, lovely computer drawn model too.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

What's that In Italian Giorgio? :rofl:

We would say "Oddio-oddio-oddio..." etc... (just like saying OMG)  :D

Enticing update once more, I'm really loving seeing this coming along :worthy:

Now a very selfish question: do you think the resin parts could be glued together just as well using CA?

Ciao 

• Like 1