Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

I have no more superlatives. I'll have to invent some...    🤔

Now, on the subject of astronomy. How high above the horizon will Jupiter and Saturn be for you when they get all nice and cuddly on December 21st? I think it's only going to be about 9 or 10 degrees altitude at sunset here in Navy Birdland. Too many trees in the way for me to catch that, so I'll have to find a spot with a clear view of the horizon. Also, watch for a nice and thin fresh moon near the two on December 16.

Cheers,

Bill    🔭

PS. Of course, the statistics say that I have a 99% chance of it being overcast on December 21st...    :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, TheBaron said:

If you have a recipe to share Benedikt I'd love to try it! I know you can find examples online but it's always nicer trying a friend's version.

Hello Tony  sorry for the delay, but  I was not in the mood as my old mother (82) was again in hospital for a week with an aqualung pulmonary oedema like the ones before and they now noticed a breast cancer toumor again.  Nothing they can really do now again..

Anyway it's a simple one as promised:

First : Cook potatoes for 45min. (Roundabout 1kg) the day before for a better way.

Second: You use a big pot for enough space (3-5l vol.)

Then fill it with 1or 1,5l. water to cook the meat for min. 1/2 an hour (usually for me with 400gr Mettenden and 4  pieces of fresh coarse Bratwurst 400gr.  )

You can use  a spoon ot broth now or (maybe one and a second) later with the beans.  It depends on how salty you want the meat

Then put two pots of white beans with soupgreen ( usual supermarket stuff, 800 gr a tin) into it  Let it cook again for 20 min at high temp. and then reduce the heat on middle/low temp and cook it for another 3/4 hour.

Leave it then for 20 min off the heating

So the base is done

Put it again on the heat and give the  potatoes, (cooked) carrots (300gr) to it with some cut spring onions (4 pcs.) and a usual onion and let it cook again with a teaspoon or two of savory for another hour at low temp. Put a bit water in inbeetween while stirring it up again from time to time.

Should be ok then for some salt and pepper in the end. I would leave there  for quite a while at the lowest temp. as it's getting better and better now and of course tommorrow after a cold night outside

( Btw you can always use a bit of Maggi anywa,y but usually no need for that )

Cheers Benedikt

Edit: Always stirr it up from time to time while you let it steep and be careful, when you warm it up the next day as it can get burned much easier then as it settled down and is thicker as the day before. Low temp with stirring  is the best.

Sorry, all a bit vague, but as I said it's Grandma cooking as I like it.

And for the beans I mean something like that:

35645201EEkVstTljU3b3_600x600.webp

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

On 27/11/2020 at 17:24, Spookytooth said:

Some one like you would put it together with their eyes shut LOL.

Or in the coal-hole with the hatch shut! 😁

On 27/11/2020 at 19:32, Navy Bird said:

How high above the horizon will Jupiter and Saturn be for you when they get all nice and cuddly on December 21st? I think it's only going to be about 9 or 10 degrees altitude at sunset here in Navy Birdland.

Similar orientation here Bill:

50654148451_06e499481c_n.jpg

Overcast permitting (Midwinter's day is invariably a shivering affair of grey vapours here) if I stick my head out the bathroom skylight just after the sun's down then that patch of sky should be visible in the twilight: I'm bringing the long lens home from work just in case to try and get some photos a few days either side of the event.

Saddening news from Arecibo eh? The footage of the collapse is heartbreaking: that dish along with the VLA in Mew Mexico were always part of my teenage mental landscape growing up (much influenced by regular doses of 'Omni' magazine also...)

On 28/11/2020 at 20:14, bbudde said:

Nothing they can really do now again..

So sorry to hear Benedikt. 

On 28/11/2020 at 20:14, bbudde said:

Sorry, all a bit vague, but as I said it's Grandma cooking as I like it.

I will try her recipe this winter for sure! Thank you.

On 01/12/2020 at 21:46, Massimo said:

This topic is going to become THE reference for the Sea Vixen!!!!

I've had expert help here Massimo that's played no small part in ensuring as much accuracy as possible from the available visual references. I live in hope however that one day the International Museum of Original Aircraft Drawings and Maintenance Manuals (IMOADMM) is opened in an easily accessible European location with good coffee and those soft white gloves they make you wear when leafing through historical documents.... 😁

Blinking busy all week again so nary a neuron left to fire on anything Vixonian.

I did rally at some point however (genuinely forget which day) to have a tinker on the metalwork bench in producing a workflow to get one of these to scale in brass:

50657030273_088b8a87c5_c.jpg

At ever-so-slightly over ⌀10mm it's the scale size required for the AI.18 dish but involved some juggling between the doming set and hole punches to arrive at a usable combination to produce a dish of the right diameter and curvature:

50657854602_27287e8cd9_c.jpg

These combinations have all been marked with tape so that the tape can rub off and I have to do it all over again later on....

Hope at some point over the weekend to get busy marking these up with a pencil - one copy to note all the bits I've forgotten to do so far (including m/f locating lugs where needed to help line things up), plus a second version breaking each aircraft down into discrete parts for printing:

50679038661_4027a943de_b.jpg

There's another fortnight or so before things here start to wind down a bit for Christmas at work, but my aim is if at all possible at some point before January is out to have a full-up test print of each aircraft, in order to assess what works and where I might need to adjust my thinking in terms of assembling the parts as you would any model kit.

Thoughts about PE (along with vacforming and designing masks for painting) will take care of themselves for a bit whilst I focus on getting the resin side of the house in order.

Also with an eye on paint in the future; having long been enchanted by @giemme's results in using tempera, I've just ordered a basic set of colours myself to try out on the Vixens instead of the usual oil paints that I would use for tinting and toning. Be fun to see the difference.

In other news, have finished all three seasons of Narcos in the last fortnight and now on Narcos: Mexico - travel shows are such a great way to relax of an evening.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've just ordered a basic set of colours myself

Tony, I hope "basic" here refers to a limited palette rather than to the quality of the paint, because cheap tempera is just rubbish and totally unusable for our hobby.... 🤞

Also, please stop tempting me with that doming set! 😠 Where did it come from, by the way? :D :D 

Looking forward to those test prints :tasty: 

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Tony, I hope "basic" here refers to a limited palette

G: I avoided a lot of the uber-cheap stuff on Ebay and went for a midrange set from the Czech Koh-I-Noor  manufacturer to experiment with for the first time. If they turn out to be pants, I've bookmarked some more expensive Maimeri colours to buy instead, as I believe that you recommended that company to me on a previous occasion?

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Where did it come from, by the way? :D :D 

Tempted to say the H̶o̶m̶e̶b̶a̶s̶e̶ Domebase store Giorgio, but it wouldn't be like me to lower myself to such a poor attempt at humour* now would it.... :laugh:

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Jewellers-25-pcs-Doming-Block-And-Punch-Set-Made-Of-Steel-Dapping-Craft-Metal/164224292241?hash=item263c87d591:g:k1cAAOSwpV9fEgvv

There are much smaller sets available Giorgio for cheaper of course if you know the exact size(s) that you want to produce. In my case I went for the bigger one to cover all future eventualities (including one day making the dish for a Voyager space probe).

*readers are asked to refrain from writing in with examples to the contrary. Nobody wins when it goes to court and ends up in the Sunday papers.

• Haha 7

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

some more expensive Maimeri colours to buy instead, as I believe that you recommended that company to me on a previous occasion?

Correct :) 

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There are much smaller sets available Giorgio for cheaper of course if you know the exact size(s) that you want to produce. In my case I went for the bigger one to cover all future eventualities (including one day making the dish for a Voyager space probe).

:rofl:  Got it, thank you - now I know what to search for, at least :) 

Ciao

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 11:10, giemme said:

Got it, thank you - now I know what to search for, at least

*Heads to Ebay....

Ethan-Turning-Away-from-Society.jpg?resize=1000,520&ssl=1

On 05/12/2020 at 19:01, 71chally said:

Looks like a drawing pin with the pin removed..., hang on!!

Well somebody's going to be getting a drawing pin in their kit it seems. :rofl:

On 05/12/2020 at 19:16, Terry1954 said:

TAKE COVER!

On 05/12/2020 at 19:31, Pete in Lincs said:

:bomb:

Nonsense. This thread is always full of charity and tolerance.

(Dispatches assassins)

A universe the size of the fog here since Sunday morning and still below freezing:

50686608887_ca01e80337_b.jpg

Heated up last evening though by cooking hot dogs over an open fire with the family:

50690624346_d94b61bc93_b.jpg

Ancient pleasures are the best imo....

Despite the lure of a misty outdoors, some thoughts emerged in relation to next steps with the Vixen(s), coloured here to break each down into their main printable units:

50685770468_d6c5f3426a_b.jpg

There's smaller sub-assemblies for things like the engine, radar, undercarriage &etc. of course, but these all have to be incorporated into the larger issue of how the main elements will be eventually assembled in a particular order.

I did up a second similar sheet as well, this one going around the airframes section-by-section to note any tasks still outstanding, either because they need designing from brass or vacforming, or because like the refuelling probe (this only for XN708, XJ481 didn't seem to have one by the time of the Martel trials) and wing stores I'd neglected to CAD these up for resin printing:

50686522911_5e46fdc8f2_b.jpg

XN708 has most work to do on it for brass parts (green):

50686522946_20d02ef738_b.jpg

As well as the wing tanks, XJ481 also has what I'm referrring to in technical terms as 'that weird Martel thing' under its port wing:

50686608937_e6c752069e_b.jpg

It's essentially the seeker head from a Martel attached to a rear fairing (don't know if this latter a custom-made fairing or cannibalized from an existing store).

You can see it better in this close-up of the XJ481 illustration in Balch's Testing Colours volume:

50686522916_681270ac95_b.jpg

The perspective on this shot is a tricky one in regard to the port side - I've diagrammed that Martel ther as being on the middle pylon but not entirely sure it isn't the inner one.

Any thoughts?

Right.

Coffee over and back to the grindstone.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 11

I'd bet, looking at the size mismatch, that the tail of that 'store' is a standard item from the pusser's stock somewhere.

Maybe search Sea Venom or Scimitar stuff for a 'shape - non-explosive' to cannibalise.

• Thanks 1

:hmmm:Some franken-ordnance to complicate matters, I see... I can't be of any help here, sorry,  everything related to this aircraft is totally new for me :shrug:  But I 'm with Ced, can't wait to see some printouts  :tasty:

Did I mention that already? :D

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to remember now, but I think it is a standard Hunter fuel tank (which the Vixen could carry) without fins that was modified with the seeker head/missile front body.

I'm inclined to agree with the middle pylon position but will try and go through sources later and hopefully confirm.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

I like the idea of the "colour plans" Tony, that`s one way to make sure that don`t miss anything, especially when there are no instructions with this build, apart from those inside your head.

Great pics of the Sunday dinner though.

Stay safe.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A universe the size of the fog here since Sunday morning and still below freezing:

At first, I thought that like the potting shed of @Martian yours too had exploded. (There's a lot of it about). Luckily the second picture

showed that it was wood for your sausage burning jamboree.

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

XN708 has most work to do on it for brass parts (green):

That'll just polish off. Anyway, if your brass parts are green in these temperatures, look on it as insulation!

I'm with @71chally Inboard pylon. Otherwise  (to my mind) if that droptank was on the outer it would be further back, as well as further away.

So therefore the droptank is on the centre pylon. And on that evidence, M'lud, the Prosecution rests, pending the decision of the jury.

(The one in the braces, He dunnit!)

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Dear hearts,

The last fortnight at work has been a brutal one with regard to having any leftover mental faculties so nothing has been done on the Vixen I'm afraid: am taking a few days off over Christmas from anything except eating, sleeping, annoying the wife and sons and generally acting the Pasha. The plan is to begin methodically* outputting an inventory of parts separately for each of the two aircraft after the weekend and filling in any gaps, as it were, along the way. Until the let's hope this bastard2020™ disappears into ignominy and to wish each of you all a peaceful and safe:

50750536176_ca6a28b9da_b.jpg

*definition used for illustrative purposes only... :rofl:

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I'm just waiting for your "2020 yearbook" entry with a single picture of a thumbdrive! Thanks for keeping us entertained on this fascinating voyage through the uncharted waters (to me at least) of Deep CAD, and have a wonderful Crimble.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3