Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

15 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I have to replace the whole roof but we are at about 40.000€...

:yikes:

We're going to need a new flat roof on our dormer extension soon, I really hope it'll be less than £5000..... 

Keith 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

:yikes:

We're going to need a new flat roof on our dormer extension soon, I really hope it'll be less than £5000..... 

Keith 

Flat roof are less expensive generally, but it has to be done properly...

Guess how I know it...

In fact, I have a huge house that need blackboard roofing... 

The village is classed... So one cannot do what he wanted to do...

CC

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 8/26/2020 at 8:35 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

You've bought yourself the dirndl and started practicing your funny handshakes haven't you

Don't be giving away the secrets of the brethren now... 😁

On 8/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, corsaircorp said:

That's about a brand new kit !

I think the real Vixen was built quicker than this however CC! :winkgrin:

On 8/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, corsaircorp said:

I have to replace the whole roof but we are at about 40.000€...

Ouch!

That's quite an outlay for the overlay!

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Level of realism increasing at every step , Tony!

Thanks G. It's a Dorian Gray situation - the more the aircraft takes shape, the more haggard I become.... :laugh:

22 hours ago, Andwil said:

I don’t know that I could resist the urge to print bits out, not that I’ll ever be in that position.

It was only last November I was saying something quite similar myself AW so you better watch out that  it doesn't get you too!

16 hours ago, Brandy said:

think @Martian & @general melchett are way ahead of you here!

Having seen their Telfordian resplendence, I'm not sure 'ahead' is quite the word I would have used Ian. :rofl:

16 hours ago, Martian said:

Martian 👽 (Typed in his secret vest and pants. Oops I forgot the vest!)

Not so much typed as stereotyped I'll wager.

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow, again. Those views are just gorgeous

Most gracious Ced. :thumbsup2:

It's helpful to switch between rendering modes like that as it's too easy to get lost in the abstracted CAD version of something that will ultimately become a concrete entity.

14 hours ago, woody37 said:

This is amazing! Can't wait to see all this digital work turn in to something plasticy

Thanks Neil: if the final visuals turn out half as rich as those of your B-17 I'll be content. :thumbsup2:

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Using that method of displaying how will we even know if the plastic/resin actually got poured?

:rofl:

:hmmm:

🤯

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Keith: you can always find a builder who'll do any job for less than £5000.....

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great 3D Tony. Sorry to hear of your roof woes. The weather is indeed on the turn. 😧 but better weather for modelling ?

Kind of you Johnny :thumbsup2: How's the weather over Stourbridge way these days - are your hens still laying full-tilt or starting to wind down for the autumn yet?

The crash of XN708:

'I drag my eyes away from the picture and try to concentrate. It involved something called a Lepus flare.50273706643_9082921f70_b.jpg

There were three planes, and a ship called HMS Murray. 50273718468_4e9ce80044_b.jpg

....My father was the third plane.'

- Sabine Durrant, 'At Sea'

quoted in Truth or Dare: A Book of Secrets Shared. ed. Justine Picardie. London, Picador. 2004

Prior to opening out the engine bays of '708, I went around the closed version of '481 adding various vents and indentations to the upperworks. The vanes in the boundary layer set up front and the half moon one that sits midway back over the port bay should, at 0.3mm thickness, print.

50276021802_b43a713092_b.jpg

Openings in the underside:

50276021832_efdddeed94_b.jpg

The undersides of operational aircraft not infrequently show heavy staining slipstreaming back from these regions - this from Godfrey Mangion a beautifully soiled example:50276175057_c8eea4cef3_b.jpg

With that done, I duplicated the shell of '481 and set to the main tasks that I wanted to complete in this session, namely cutting out pairs of inboard/outboard access doors centre and aft along the top of the fuselage:

50275187478_4acb9cc376_b.jpg

This took a damnably long period of time to finesse doe to the contrasting door outlines and compound curves they are set into, with the aft set particularly challenging due to the way that the rear part of the sides angle inward back near the spectacle beam rather than cutting straight down though the skin of the aircraft as the centre doors do:

50275187428_0d73c7dd10_b.jpg

I like those  trunnion frames that runs across the centre of the fuselage between the two sets of doors as a feature of interest, however I'll have to print them separately for construction purposes in order to fit the Avons into place toward the end of the build after the bulk of the painting has been done:

50276021757_e20da3aa7d_b.jpg

A view down the tunnel from aft:

50275871316_278e0984e8_b.jpg

There's a lot of ribbing and pipework &etc. visible inside here once the engines are removed:

50275386563_376a5616e2_c.jpg

Image credit: Panoramas produced from original Navy Wings video footage

The best policy I think is to rough out the main outlines for an Avon and plonk it into the bay in order to see how much of the interior remains visible down either side of it:

50276021767_b8975c7961_b.jpg

50275871361_c1a867c9e4_b.jpg

That should give a good basis to make decisions on further detailing inside of there.

Friday again tomorrow.

How fluid the days and weeks have become..

Bon nuit.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Sorry Tony haven’t popped along in a while! Mind boggling technical stuff going on here..... it’s looking like a workbench update from airfix with all the computer images!

very clever stuff.

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 7:56 PM, TheBaron said:

50268736046_841c1d561a_c.jpg

Freud would have had a field-day with the messages that sends out....

Quite apart from the good Doctor, interesting that the RN was using the image of the DH110 as its Freudian symbol in 1955... 3 years after the Farnborough disaster but still 4 years before any Vixens reached squadron service.  The Navy had at least ordered some Vixens by then, but at the time of that Air Day at Ford (now a prison) DH had got as far as the first ‘semi-Navalised’ prototype (XF828) doing limited carrier trials (‘limited’ as in no arrested landings; not exactly imminent for front line work).

So the chances of seeing a DH110 at Ford’s show that year weren’t high.  About as high as a Wren looking like that, I’d imagine - in my era the matelots used to claim that the gate at HMS Dauntless (the WRNS training establishment) was cut in the shape of a woman, and if you could fit through it they wouldn’t let you join...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Quite apart from the good Doctor, interesting that the RN was using the image of the DH110 as its Freudian symbol in 1955...

Afraid Dr Freud is flat out dealing with the subtle hints and subtexts in Navy posters

50276899628_33537772fe_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Afraid Dr Freud is flat out dealing with the subtle hints and subtexts in Navy posters

you don't want to know approaches made to have people join the big 3 as they saw themselves (freud, adler and jung).  Then mid century they became fragmented and neo was the term - still they had interesting suicide stats for a while there.  We shan't go into the behaviourists territory either, they were too far out. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Although Adler would always be better known for his harmonica virtuosity

it could be argued that being remembered as a musician was a greater contribution to mental health. ;)

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, michaelc said:

it could be argued that being remembered as a musician was a greater contribution to mental health. ;)

No-on in possession of a mouth organ has ever contributed positively toward mental health*

* - see also banjos

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

How's the weather over Stourbridge way these days - are your hens still laying full-tilt or starting to wind down for the autumn yet?

Storm Francis gave us a battering and it feels a lot like autumn already. I hope there are some sunny days in the year yet though. The hens are well and laying one a day. How’s your live stock these days? 

John. 🙌🐓🦆🐓

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

US Navy, that one - we don’t do no steeenking stars.  The USN has form on this one: see Village People videos filmed on a battleship...

5 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Love that shot! You have to hurry up dear boy. I’m waiting to build my one. 😏🤣

Naah.  FAW2 with the monstrous carbuncles.  Just lacks the purity of line ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

US Navy, that one - we don’t do no steeenking stars.  The USN has form on this one: see Village People videos filmed on a battleship...

Yup, from the Historic Dockyard Museum in Philadelphia (home of the Slinky). 

Good to know that despite the American revolution the USN fully adopted the fine traditions of the Royal Navy 

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

Sorry Tony haven’t popped along in a while! Mind boggling technical stuff going on here..... it’s looking like a workbench update from airfix with all the computer images!

Glad you like it Rob :thumbsup2: How are things your end?

9 hours ago, hendie said:

I hope you remembered to number the parts

and put huge ejector pin marks everywhere so folks can complain later

Gonna emboss 'Fly' inside the fuselage and add some fictitious panel lines too.

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Quite apart from the good Doctor, interesting that the RN was using the image of the DH110 as its Freudian symbol in 1955... 3 years after the Farnborough disaster but still 4 years before any Vixens reached squadron service.  The Navy had at least ordered some Vixens by then, but at the time of that Air Day at Ford (now a prison) DH had got as far as the first ‘semi-Navalised’ prototype (XF828) doing limited carrier trials (‘limited’ as in no arrested landings; not exactly imminent for front line work).

So the chances of seeing a DH110 at Ford’s show that year weren’t high.

I can already see the outraged headline in tomorrow's Daily Telegraph: 'Ex-Navy Man Accuses Navy of False Advertising' 

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

in my era the matelots used to claim that the gate at HMS Dauntless (the WRNS training establishment) was cut in the shape of a woman, and if you could fit through it they wouldn’t let you join...

Said matelots treading a very fine line there in the looks dept. I'll wager....  :laugh:

1 hour ago, michaelc said:

We shan't go into the behaviourists territory either, they were too far out

Must*resist*conditioning*to*make*bad* 'Ways to Skinner cat' joke...

Although Adler would always be better known for his harmonica virtuosity

Damn Jungian synchronicity - I was going to post that...

1 hour ago, michaelc said:

it could be argued that being remembered as a musician was a greater contribution to mental health.

That and laughter:

23 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Storm Francis gave us a battering and it feels a lot like autumn already. I hope there are some sunny days in the year yet though. The hens are well and laying one a day. How’s your live stock these days?

Agree with the Autumnal sentiment Johnny - not quite 1816 but as far as this neck of the woods goes, a year largely without summer. Good to hear your chooks  are doing well; the ducks continue to lay in overdrive currently but as we're rebuilding the hen flock due to natural deaths (our original lot had good long lives and all have free run of the garden), it'll be next Spring I reckon before being back to self-sufficiency in hen eggs. Eldest son recently built them a new chicken house with a window, which they really seem to love.

18 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

You have to hurry up dear boy. I’m waiting to build my one.

'Flory Brown Trouser wash to standby'! 😁

13 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The USN has form on this one: see Village People videos filmed on a battleship...

As to their subsequent adventure in temporal reconfiguration with Cher, I fear that this brings us back full circle to Freud again...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

No-on in possession of a mouth organ has ever contributed positively toward mental health*

* - see also banjos

Wash your mouth out & go and listen to some Junior Wells

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wash your mouth out & go and listen to some Junior Wells

My Dad’s predilection for tuneless harmonica playing:

a: put me off the instrument for life

b: will feature heavily in my thinking when choosing which Watchdog-damned nursing home he ends up in

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Avon mood board:

50277315568_39cd01a594_b.jpg

The bulk of these are frame grabs from the Navy Wings video (linked to in my previous post) of an engine removal that yields a number of useful views to work from. The one thing I'm missing that would be useful in establishing relative proportions of the various engine sections are dead flat side-on views but allowing for perspective, there's enough to be going on with here. One problem with the original video frames were that in being shot via smartphone at what looks like a slow shutter speed, there's quite a lot of motion blur on top of the compression used in social media postings (that has often made such footage ambiguous for details) so I've been playing around with a trial version of Topaz Lab's AI software to sharpen these up to more useful standards. Have to say the quality of result is impressive when washing images through this and certainly superior to the 'sharpen' functions in Pshop & Lightroom for such tasks.

The manual images btw are from the only RR Avon maintenance document that I could find to buy which, being an older version than those used in the SV is not accurate for proportion and surface detail but highly useful in identifying parts and their functions/connectivity.

As  like to learn shapes through drawing, here's an outline Avon sketch derived from the above:

50277988381_8328b56443_b.jpg

The actual profile still needs further refining to be accurate regarding those hills and vales but to the best of my knowledge*, these constitute the essential regions of the engine in relation to its external topology. Busy for the rest of the day but if I can get some time later I want to start drawing up a more accurate side profile in Fusion and revolve an initial design for test fitting.

One issue I'm conscious of with the Avons is that with the wall thickness of the engine bays being 0.8mm all the way around, this removes 1.6mm of available space of internal space. As the fit of the engine in the real thing is so very tight, I'll need to keep a close eye on dimensions/proportions to preserve both accuracy and strength.

:bye:

Tony

*for jet engines that would be approximately at Tellytubby level if I'm generous...

• Like 10

They’re exactly the same as any combustion engine: suck - squeeze - bang - blow.  The only difference is that they do it in a line / sequence rather than by cylinder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, michaelc said:

you don't want to know approaches made to have people join the big 3 as they saw themselves (freud, adler and jung).  Then mid century they became fragmented and neo was the term - still they had interesting suicide stats for a while there.  We shan't go into the behaviourists territory either, they were too far out. ;)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1