Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Indeed, me also. A potential route to my 1/350 Kotlin pipe dream......and also even HMS Bristol which I've always quite fancied - the Jecobin plans have arrived 😁

And if you look over here Crisp there is an excellent example of a maritime build using these technologies. Maybe a route to HMS Blackwater for you perhaps ........I think that was yours?

Blackwater should be mostly achievable using normal scratch building techniques - the complicated bits (sweep winches, davits, 40mm gun) have already been beautifully modelled by Peter Hall for the Atlantic Ton class.

But there are quite a few areas of Ark 3 & Ark 5 that could be enhanced by a 3d printer who knows what he is doing. Not to mention a certain Sea King folded main rotor head...

AIl I need to do is to acquire the skill!

• Like 3

"I don't wish to alarm anyone unduly  but I actually sat at a bench and played around with physical matter today!"

I do hope that had absolutely nothing to do with Mr Bufton's excessive drooling!.....

Having said that, and now seen the printed parts and wing fold in situ, I am fairly sure it didn't, as I now find myself wiping my own chin too!

Lovely stuff!

Ian

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

I do hope that had absolutely nothing to do with Mr Bufton's excessive drooling!.....

During all of my time with Ced, I found that excessive drooling was brought on by visions of meat pies with onion gravy, mushy peas, and the glint of a Doom Bar tap in the reflection off the mirror above the bar...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I found that excessive drooling was brought on by visions of meat pies with onion gravy, mushy peas, and the glint of a Doom Bar tap in the reflection off the mirror above the bar...   

Are you talking about Ced or yourself there Bill....?! :hmmm:

37 minutes ago, CedB said:

I only dribble when I’m excited :bleh:

Too much information....!! 

Keith

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Are you talking about Ced or yourself there Bill....?! :hmmm:

Well, to be honest I do have a thing for Doom Bar with onion gravy.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 8/1/2020 at 2:26 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I think it’s probably his son, Finbar Z. Saunders Jr.

Nope. It's his Texas cousin, Billy Bob "Sundance" Saunders. He has such a drawl, it sounds like "Feeenarrrrr, Feeenarrrr" and lasts 30 seconds when he utters the expression.

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

it sounds like "Feeenarrrrr, Feeenarrrr" and lasts 30 seconds when he utters the expression.

Much like our gracious thread author adds as a sound effect while he swooshes the test print around pretending to fly it?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Well, to be honest I do have a thing for Doom Bar with onion gravy.

Cheers,

Bill

42 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Not in the same glass I hope.....!!

K

Of course not, you don't get a full pint if you mix 'em.

Interesting thought though.

• Haha 7

On 8/1/2020 at 6:42 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I remembered that I once built a 1/48th Airfix Seafire and used Guitar wire as wires/pipes.

It added a bit of detail, and supported the folded portion. I wondered if you'd considered it at all.

Pete, thanks for that reference. :thumbsup2: Is it very easily bent into shape like brass? I had a look for some in the 'bay last evening but the smallest offering was about 2.3mm diameter.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:54 PM, keefr22 said:

So what colour are you going to paint the doorstep when the primer's dried then Tony.... ?

Stone of course! 🤪

50183855913_c725409bd2_c.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 7:00 PM, giemme said:

Amazing!

On 8/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, The Spadgent said:

Impressive!

Still gets me that these bits had anything to do with me when I look at them printed Giorgio & Johnny. Still seems like a too magic process every time...

On 8/1/2020 at 8:09 PM, AdrianMF said:

This is turning up modelling a notch or two... astounding!

Thanks Adrian: like many of you I feel that inner pressure to see how far you can push materials. As so much of the design process involves drawing and observation, I find it strange to call such things 'virtual' processes when they involves staring so hard at physical reality.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:40 PM, CedB said:

I hope you’re writing all this down for the instruction booklet (he said hopefully)

Fear not Ced. I've kind of been keeping notes (for myself as much as anything else) about how to fit various assemblies together. It's a new departure for me to have to design a realistic sequence of how to put things together in a given order!

On 8/1/2020 at 8:40 PM, CedB said:

All this has me looking at printers again 🙄 

On 8/2/2020 at 8:30 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Me too.  Bummer, isn’t it?

:evil_laugh:

On 8/1/2020 at 10:50 PM, CJP said:

also don't forget that jury struts would add support to the outer wing panel especially if made from Albion Alloys SFT sets

Of course I'd forgotten the bloomin' jury struts 🤦‍♂️ (even though they're in my design notes to add holes for later on) so thanks for the nudge! Albion Alloys are my staple for anything brass and cylindrical anyway so will not be found wanting....

On 8/1/2020 at 11:45 PM, hendie said:

wonderful.  just wonderful.

Plan. Coming together. Liking it and lighting cigar &etc. 😁

On 8/2/2020 at 12:24 AM, bbudde said:

Not at all for me.

Slowly but slowly physical parts have begun to emerge Benedikt! 😄

On 8/2/2020 at 8:30 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

i plan to do some more playing around with CAD for a while first; little point in buying a printer if you can only design a cube

It's basically  a square aircraft carrier Crisp - a shoo-in for someone with your elite level of detailing skills!

latest?cb=20130424025909&path-prefix=en

On 8/2/2020 at 8:37 AM, michaelc said:

Tony has a lot to answer for (especially to our wives!)

:rofl:Could have been said by the great Terry Thomas himself!

On 8/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, perdu said:

toaster anyone?

Actually yes Bill! :laugh: Our one no longer toasts the bread so much as feebly warms one side whilst producing drawing charcoal from the other...

On 8/2/2020 at 8:59 AM, perdu said:

to see it actually 'being' the wing fold and structure in real time plasticky resin has me staggered.

Can't help wondering how the de Havilland lads must have felt the first time that the real thing locked successfully into place and the Woodbines were passed around... 😁

On 8/2/2020 at 9:29 AM, 71chally said:

...wot they said!

:thumbsup2:

On 8/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, Martian said:

Huzzah! At last something the Martian brain can cope with. Well done your baronesship!

Cheers Daddy M. :thumbsup2:

Hope all well with yourself and doughty shipmates involved in dredging the over-confident out of Poole harbour after they've fallen overboard from their plague boats...

On 8/2/2020 at 12:34 PM, Terry1954 said:

But much to get my head around.

There's no plateau in sight is there Terry with the continual changes in tech? 👨‍🦳😀

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

But there are quite a few areas of Ark 3 & Ark 5 that could be enhanced by a 3d printer who knows what he is doing. Not to mention a certain Sea King folded main rotor head...

AIl I need to do is to acquire the skill!

In my experience, the desire for the former leads to the acquisition of the latter if one is demented/incautious/imaginative/stubborn enough.... 🕸️🧨

21 hours ago, Brandy said:

Having said that, and now seen the printed parts and wing fold in situ, I am fairly sure it didn't, as I now find myself wiping my own chin too!

19 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

During all of my time with Ced, I found that excessive drooling was brought on by visions of meat pies with onion gravy, mushy peas, and the glint of a Doom Bar tap in the reflection off the mirror above the bar.

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ah, situation normal then. What a guy!

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Oi you lot, lay off! I only dribble when I’m excited 

Today on Last of the Summer Wine....

:rofl2: Barely capable of writing any sense at all after giggling at that last lot of back and forth back and forth... 🧝‍♂️ Glad to see you're all in good spirits.

After the intensity of the last couple of weeks getting the wingfold completed, things will be a bit slower for a while as:

a) I don't want to burn out and jeopardize motivation levels

b) there's still a lot of building decorating work to do on the house

c) need to put a lot more time in on prepping materials & planning projects for the day job  - especially as the autumn/winter will in all probability be an extremely challenging environment to work in.

Noting done yesterday as up very early and over to the fowl market in Roscommon to add some chickens to the flock:

2020-08-02_10-30-35

Bit of a mad scene tbh;  a sort of Irish rural version of Beyond the Thunderdome what with the hundreds of squawking/clucking/honking ducks/geese/chickens spread out around you. A rather stout gentleman was alsoparading a massive billy goat up an down in our midst, superbly aloof as if he were out walking with the devil. We came away with a beautiful pair of a Gold Laced Barnevelder and a Cuckoo Maran at a reasonable price, who are now settling in with the others this morning.

After a later start today (Bank Holiday) I went through the list of wingfold amendments to be done in Fusion based upon the printed output of the weekend. Main highlights were the latching pins all added in now to be printed as part of rib 4 itself, plus all holes with wider offsets in order to allay some of the definition issues encountered at the printing stage. I realized also that I'd left out the male and female flap dog clutches at the rear of the fold, now included.

A final render of the completed fold then:

50184626941_2d87f31fbb_b.jpg

Next stage will be to start work on the RAT as a way of building myself up to the main event of engines and bays, which was always my main point of interest at the start of this build  (despite a few 'minor' matters intruding into proceedings between now and then....)

More as it transpires then.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Tony, that is a lovely picture. 

Re the wires. Search for electric guitar strings. A pack of 5 various costs about a fiver.

They are easy to bend. I actually used them to attach the folded portion of the wing.

Chickens? Will the finish on the Vixen be eggshell?

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Re the wires. Search for electric guitar strings. A pack of 5 various costs about a fiver.

They are easy to bend. I actually used them to attach the folded portion of the wing.

Never have thought of that, just thrown away a set of old bass strings aswel!

I just wish I could verbalise profundity of a scale to match Tony's amazing work, and his posts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Fear not Ced. I've kind of been keeping notes (for myself as much as anything else) about how to fit various assemblies together.

Thanks matey! :) 

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:
On 02/08/2020 at 08:53, perdu said:

toaster anyone?

Actually yes Bill! :laugh: Our one no longer toasts the bread so much as feebly warms one side whilst producing drawing charcoal from the other...

really recommend Dualit if that helps - hand made in the UK and designed to be, wait for it, repairable!!

We've had ours for years and I've replaced the timer, which makes a really satisfying ticking noise :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

On 8/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Ta Pete - might strip the one off the youngest's electric since he's not playing it so much recently... :wicked:

On 8/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Chickens? Will the finish on the Vixen be eggshell?

Extra Dry Sea Grey - the Martini of the skies!

On 8/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, 71chally said:

I just wish I could verbalise profundity of a scale to match Tony's amazing work, and his posts!

Just throw in a few knob gags from time-to-time so that I don't get ideas above my station.... :laugh:

On 8/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, CedB said:

really recommend Dualit if that helps -

Du(a)ly noted Ced. Thanks. :thumbsup:

My ma's had a four slot one of theirs since the early nineties and it still works fine. Odd though, as she never eats toast. What does she do with it? :hmmm:

A busy bitty week full of blind alleys and limited progressions. Weather hasn't helped as the dark occlusion remained locked in all week along with regular rain and wind. We did get to rescue a hedgehog though!

This is Harry:

50199111973_3bae9f8cab_b.jpg

He's one of an extended family that live in our garden -a young male that we found all pufffed-up and gasping for breath out on the lawn last Friday. Poor blighter had an anaerobic infection that left him like a taut football so we got him down to the vet's last weekend for treatment. They had to deflate him twice (how do they do that?) and after a couple of days he'd responded well enough to the antibiotics that we were able to bring him home and spend the week nursing him in the downstairs bathroom. Dear little fellow, he's getting released on Sunday once the course of medication is finished and seems to have made a full recovery back to snufflling hog-hood. He'll be missed terrribly by all of us,  though if his mother's anything to go by, you'll hear his loud snuffling from the hedges of an evening...

Any spare time I got on the aircraft during the week was largely spent in addressing any of the issues thrown up by the recent test print, widening holes, enhancing detail etc. Nothing dramatic enough to warrant showing you shots with 0.1mm changes to things you've already seen...

Today was the first day of adding anything new, starting with the vanes within the intake ducts:

50199657161_139bdf4edd_b.jpg

Those are both  0.2mm in width which, based upon similar features of that thickness that emerged intact from the test prints, should reproduce here also.

From there, it was back down to the other end of the aircraft to get to work on the RAT:

50199924727_ab9f1180cc_b.jpg

Careful study of photographs showing this area had recently made me aware that, whereas previously I'd had a 'roof' to the arrestor hook bay, this part of the rear fairing is in fact a continuous opening vertically downward from the RAT bay above. Howard Mason's shots over on Prime Portal show this region in some of the best detail that I've seen in modelling terms.

First job then was to excavate the cavity for the RAT bay and join it up with the arresor hook one below it:

50199657196_7efb7f3e10_b.jpg

Swiftly followed by turning a cross-section of the fuselage into the door for the RAT installatiom:

50199111728_1145de2e18_b.jpg

Worth remembering that these doors are actually asymmetric in width - the port one being wider than its starboard counterpart. I'm guessing that this might be something to do with them closing down in sequence as the RAT turbine retracts, pulling them down closed on top of it.

Then it was time to start on the turbine itself, commencing with working the outer housing up into the required profile:

50199111838_49b5b1b639_b.jpg

I then turned that surface design into a solid of about 0.3mm wall thickness, before adding the central hub and three radiating arms to hold it in place.

3/4 view from rear:

50199924642_0582970ec9_b.jpg

At this scale, the turbine blades themselves would be far too small to convincingly reproduce in full even from PE so here I elected to create a compromise that would give an impressiom of the blade-like structures hidden away in there, yet one that would be thick enough not to fail during printing:

50199111843_7e6fd1ff3f_b.jpg

Seen in-situ at 1/72, that should I think give a satisfactory indication of blade-iness:

50199111883_44184dac45_b.jpg

Next step then is to add the curved arm that this rotates up/down on, and complete detailing of the interconnected bays:

50199111903_68e0b8a611_b.jpg

Not for a day or two though. Off on a Dick Turpin-esque masked visit to Dublin tomorrow with Mrs B  as she has to hand some of her work into a gallery, followed by a stop at IKEA on the way back to pick up desks for the lads' bedrooms. Be interesting to see how many people are around the town at the moment.

Nearly forgot. In relation to actually joining printed resin parts together, the most effective method I've found is to actually use the liquid resin itself. Up til now I'd used either the nail curing booth (which frankly, takes bloody ages) or direct sunlight (problematic being Ireland 😆) but I discovered a laser pen that works at the required 405nm wavelength and cures the resin in about 30 seconds. Perfect for gluing purposes.

Actual exciting footage of a blob being cured:

50199111688_69991bf8e2_b.jpg

Interestingly, when you shine the UV light into a bottle of olive oil, the light shifts to red. Newton missed a trick there I reckon.

Take care mes braves and more in a few days.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 20

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Interestingly, when you shine the UV light into a bottle of olive oil,

... now the olive oil contains a lot of unsaturated carbon-carbon double bonds much the same

as your printer resin although less reactive (hence why it goes rancid eventually as those react with the air and free radicals generated by the action of light to create a rubbery gunk) so depending on how powerful the pen is you might be slowly adding off flavours to the olive oil.

... or you might be about to revolutionise 3D printing with the first wholly organic resin that doubles as a salad dressing

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Interestingly, when you shine the UV light into a bottle of olive oil, the light shifts to red. Newton missed a trick there I reckon.

How does a person even discover that?!!

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

... now the olive oil contains a lot of unsaturated carbon-carbon double bonds much the same

as your printer resin although less reactive (hence why it goes rancid eventually as those react with the air and free radicals generated by the action of light to create a rubbery gunk) so depending on how powerful the pen is you might be slowly adding off flavours to the olive oil.

...and how does a person know this about it?!!

Amazing work as ever, really superb rendering with that ram air-turbine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Polymer chemistry, model making, 3D print, cookery - this is pretty much smack in the overlap sweetspot of my geekery Venn diagram (just need triathlon/cycle racing in there to get the full set)

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

...and how does a person know this about it?!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6