Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

I don't wish to alarm anyone unduly  but I actually sat at a bench and played around with physical matter today!

50177213462_65c0c856fa_b.jpg

An excuse also to play with the Pixnor tweezers which had been sulking disconsolately in the background since @CedB got the entire forum to buy a set at Christmas...

The mailbag first though:

On 7/31/2020 at 4:38 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Tony

Ta Chris - always a worry when wot the screen showed had to turn into actual atoms....

On 7/31/2020 at 4:41 PM, CedB said:

:tasty: :tasty: :tasty: :tasty: 

Nurse! Mr. Bufton seems to have some saliva on his chin....

On 7/31/2020 at 5:54 PM, Fritag said:

If you’re not feeling smugly contented Tony, you’re not human.....

If I wasn't previously, then such compliments from a bona fide miniature maestro certainly does! Thanks Steve. :thumbsup2:

On 7/31/2020 at 6:00 PM, 71chally said:

...hang on, I recognise those bits from the Frog Sea Vixen box!

Oo-errr - rumbled! 😁

Hang abaht - you saying it looks as dog-rough as the Frog version? :hmmm::laugh:

23 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

An instant Vixen conjured up from thin air, resin & algebra.

Don't forget eye of newt... (for an unorthodox landing light...). 😁

23 hours ago, giemme said:

I now think you should really set up an articulate display box for rhe completed model, with 3D renders on the walls and these test prints laying around on the floor...

At least I've a year or two's grace before I need to consider that phase of things Giorgio! :laugh:

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The mind boggles at what you might achieve, given a decent set of plans, and a maritime subject like HMS Furious for example ................... just saying

Currently reading some interesting stuff about her in Geoffery Cooper's Farnborough and the Fleet Air Arm - I must check to see if the NMM prints section has reopened yet....

22 hours ago, hendie said:

I think perhaps it's a combination of that and print orientation.

In my case Alan I think it has to be suction/surface tension causing a meniscus to form in such small enclosed spaces as the bits concerned would have been pointing downwards during the print. I'm going to be enlarging a number of them next time anyway so hopefully this will cause the problem to diminish somewhat.

22 hours ago, hendie said:

I found an Elegoo combined Wash & Cure station last night on Amazon but it appears to have disappeared today

:laugh: It is a tempting object compared to prices of similar kit!

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looks very convincing.

Much obliged Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

21 hours ago, Learstang said:

I'd just like to be able to do something simple, like print out a replacement H2S radome for my Halibag. I could if I only put my mind

Stick with it Jason - the childlike sense of wonder when shapes on a screen become objects in the world is worth it! :thumbsup2:

19 hours ago, michaelc said:

Tony, the art of craftmanship is still amongst us.

Thanks Michael! It takes all forms doesn't it and the one constant is its evolution through time. Stasis is the death of creativity in my book...

18 hours ago, CJP said:

I usually scratch build wing folds so seeing you able to 3D print & reproduce them in such detail ( and in 1/72 as well) is awesome

Thanks CJ - I have to say there is an undeniable pleasure in coming to understand how the real thing works in order to make such small replicas.

13 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I’m sick with envy at how well this is going. Bloomin’ lovely

If it's any consolation Alastair, both my sons come in from time to time just to check I still have motor functions and the power of speech...

13 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Seriously, my thunder is struck. My gob is smacked.

I have to remind patrons that I'm not responsible for any injuries. 😁

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Oh, and send us some rain, too damned hot for the Memsahib here in the East!

Nowt but bleeding rain here again today Pete. Sending several plastic bags' full by courier.

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wanted to give you a second like for The Destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum.

You don't like those places? :rofl:

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

:wow:

Better a wow than an ow... (Thanks Keith)

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

"Clucking Bell" Tony.

Oooh the language on yer one. 😁

(cheers Simon)

Spent some time then fiddling around at the bench this morning, firstly joining the radius arm to the main gear shock absorber:

50176961996_59ba1f890b_b.jpg

The joints top and bottom were pretty much bang on i terms of a good fit and although the lower one wasn't fully realized in the print, using resin to form the join should introduce the required strength back in to the structure. The bulk of the weight will fall on the main shock anyway and that has a good solid core for strength.

Outer wheel half added for visuals and the Maxaret detailing looks quite nice:

50177213377_62169b2d99_b.jpg

It occurred to me at this point that I've no idea whether or not this aircraft is going to be a tail sitter and will need some weight adding to the front section?

Main event today though was to mock up the detailing the wingfold would pan out and I'm pleased to say that my speculations about the suitability 0.3mm brass tubing and fuse wire for the plumbing and hydraulic lines at this scale seem to have borne fruit:

50177213532_419ef6b751_b.jpg

Bear in mind that she's still missing the middle linkage anda few PE bits around the pin-pushing bits and that the actual latching pins themselves have been omitted. As these latter elements seemed to print quite happily as part of the actual latches themselves on the rear element, I'll modify the design to include these on the middle and forward latches too. Their presence should in fact also help in mounting the 'pusher' parts for those sections, as adding them later as separate elements makes them stand out quite nicely (as well as being more faithful to the run of the connecting rods between them):

50176962071_c42ebf9265_b.jpg

This and the following handful of shots are magnified using an old projector lens from the 1950s in front of the camera lens, so my apologies for the variable quality:

50176423038_b58a541456_b.jpg

That cable tray up at the front I'm going to abandon producing from resin and replace the part with brass strip  - as I think I mentioned yesterday it looks too visually 'soft' for my tastes. I'm also conscious that although the hinges at present provide adequate support between the two wing halves, there will be a much greater weight involved when the full outer wing section is in place and a metal support up front will help considerably in supporting this.

Another useful result of today's work was to clarify my thinking about how to deal with the number of small entry holes for fuel pipes etc. Instead of trying to add these into the design to any depth, I'm going to just put dimples as pilot holes, as drilling them out fully after printing (as was done here) is easily the most effective way of producing good sharp entry holes of just over 0.3mm diameter:

50176962026_4e75383242_b.jpg

Well, that all seems to work.

:bye:

Tony

Addenda:

Quick snort of primer on the doorstep to visually unify the detail a bit:

50176690798_17b4766885_b.jpg

• Like 26

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Well, that all seems to work.

Shipshape and Bristol De Havilland fashion. I remembered that I once built a 1/48th Airfix Seafire and used Guitar wire as wires/pipes.

It added a bit of detail, and supported the folded portion. I wondered if you'd considered it at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stunning. 

I hope you’re writing all this down for the instruction booklet (he said hopefully) :) 

All this has me looking at printers again 🙄 

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That cable tray up at the front I'm going to abandon producing from resin and replace the part with brass strip  - as I think I mentioned yesterday it looks too visually 'soft' for my tastes. I'm also conscious that although the hinges at present provide adequate support between the two wing halves, there will be a much greater weight involved when the full outer wing section is in place and a metal support up front will help considerably in supporting this.

That wing fold looks great Tony & I agree that replacing that cable tray with brass will add strength to the joint - also don't forget that jury struts would add support to the outer wing panel especially if made from Albion Alloys SFT sets

CJP

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Me too.  Bummer, isn’t it?

i plan to do some more playing around with CAD for a while first; little point in buying a printer if you can only design a cube

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

i plan to do some more playing around with CAD for a while first; little point in buying a printer if you can only design a cube

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Stunning. 

I hope you’re writing all this down for the instruction booklet (he said hopefully) :) 

that's what I've been doing on and off during the day.  The Anycubic Photon S looks like a possible as I prefer working with Resin.  I must head over to the other 3D threads and see what is happening there. ;)  Tony has a lot to answer for (especially to our wives!) :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You can design a cube?

I am working amongst giants here...

Years, many years ago I decided to learn basic in order to work clever tricks on my CPC in a world awakening to the power of Windows.

Other Amstrad users and I were attempting to develop a graphic interface for our little tiny brained devices so it seemed a good idea to learn animating and the like.

I managed to make my screen draw an outline in blue whilst a central panel flashed between green and red.

I never did understand what I was doing and soon forgot how to.

You lot are veritable giants, seen from down here at floor level.

Anyway the outcome is that I will not be buying an Elegoo or any other technical device so complex as that, toaster anyone?

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I might, nay should, add that the wing fold as developed by Tony has me further in awe.

I don't pretend I don't know how the shapes interact, when I folded the wings (curse you @Martian ) on  the Frog Eastern Express Vixen I became very aware of the interacting bitzanbobbery in there but to see it actually 'being' the wing fold and structure in real time plasticky resin has me staggered.

Tony, er, W O W !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Indeed, me also. A potential route to my 1/350 Kotlin pipe dream......and also even HMS Bristol which I've always quite fancied - the Jecobin plans have arrived 😁

And if you look over here Crisp there is an excellent example of a maritime build using these technologies. Maybe a route to HMS Blackwater for you perhaps ........I think that was yours?

But much to get my head around.

Nice to see some brass and solid lumps Tony!

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2020 at 08:26, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I think it’s probably his son, Finbar Z. Saunders Jr.

No doubt tempted into relocating by the Texan steer steaks. (insert your own longhorn joke that would get you a spell on the naughty step from the forum gods  here)

• Haha 3