Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

Tony, once you'll have this built and ready for RFI, I think you should place it on a display environment, rather than on a base. What I mean is that it should have walls, on which to place printouts of the hinge mechanism renders, because I'm sure the end result will be a masterpiece, but the view of the process that led to it will no doubt greatly  enhance  the final appearance- IMHO,  of course 

:worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

some more fantastic work being done .

That wing fold gubbins is going to be a very interesting and challenging clean up and assembly - but when it is finished it is going to be an absolute brammer.

Since you've designed everything within the bounds of the printers capabilities, I have no real concerns about parts successfully printing.not printing provided the parts are aligned and supported properly. 

I think the greater challenge will be handling and assembling parts afterwards.  (that reminds me - there's a new version of Chitubox and there's some really good improvements on the support features)

An observation:  perhaps it's just the angle but I think you could increase the size of the female receptacle at the leading edge a couple of smidgens - otherwise it's looking great.

P.S.  I think I'm scarred for life.  I can no longer look at a Sea Vixen wing fold without seeing that dirty little robot

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Tony, once you'll have this built and ready for RFI, I think you should place it on a display environment, rather than on a base. What I mean is that it should have walls, on which to place printouts of the hinge mechanism renders, because I'm sure the end result will be a masterpiece, but the view of the process that led to it will no doubt greatly  enhance  the final appearance- IMHO,  of course 

:worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

He ain'tn't wrong you know...

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 5:36 PM, TheBaron said:
On 7/19/2020 at 7:34 PM, The Spadgent said:

I cringe looking back at the crudity of my work then tbh....

That’s a shame. It was a great time , building model aeroplanes from old kits and bits ‘n’ bobs. Thinking on your feet. By no means taking away from anything that’s going on now but I can admire both. 😇 Great new steps with the fold. 🙌

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/07/2020 at 18:00, CedB said:

More stunning work on the foldey bits Tony - this is going to be epic! :) 

Epic is the word! There is an epic confrontation going on in my brain right now - one side says buy a 3D printer and get some CAD software immediately, and the other side says I'll never achieve this level of epic-ness. What to do?    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Epic is the word! There is an epic confrontation going on in my brain right now - one side says buy a 3D printer and get some CAD software immediately, and the other side says I'll never achieve this level of epic-ness. What to do?    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

got to agree!  I'm currently looking at the Artillery Sidewinder, but that would be for another thread I think. ;)  What is the old saying, that we stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before as they show us what is possible? ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 10:34 PM, The Spadgent said:

That’s a shame. It was a great time , building model aeroplanes from old kits and bits ‘n’ bobs. Thinking on your feet. By no means taking away from anything that’s going on now but I can admire both. 😇 Great new steps with the fold. 🙌

I think Johnny's right.  It aint a zero sum game.  Blow any cognitive dissidence; I'm gonna admire both too.

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Unbelievably good.

He's right too.

This posting lark is a lot less demanding when other brighter bods have already said it all......:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

A couple of evenings back; luna never gets old....

50162976407_6c434b5dc2_b.jpg

Well, it does, but you know what I mean.

As fascinating in daylight as darkness.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:55 PM, perdu said:

Enjoy your evening Tony.

Lovely development work en-route a magical masterpiece.

Greatly appreciated on both counts Bill! 🤗

On 7/25/2020 at 7:33 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking work Tony

Cracking? Oo'eer Chris let's hope not with my heavy handedness! 😉

On 7/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, giemme said:

Always take your observations on such matters seriously Giorgio and will certainly be looking in detail later on at that as a display option. :nodding:

(This gives me a chance to watch watch Alan does with his railway carriage in the meantime and nick -errrr - pay homage to anything he comes up with... :laugh:)

On 7/25/2020 at 11:00 PM, CedB said:

More stunning work on the foldey bits Tony - this is going to be epic!

Your hired and can take over all my social media with immediate effect Ced! :thanks:😁

On 7/26/2020 at 12:11 AM, michaelc said:

Tony, please remind me, what scale is this going to be built in???

The proper 1/72 scale of course Michael!

Perish the thought that this should appear in any of those 'other scales' where only the truly deviant can flourish. 😁

On 7/26/2020 at 2:17 PM, hendie said:

perhaps it's just the angle but I think you could increase the size of the female receptacle at the leading edge a couple of smidgens

Done now:

50162952082_275fafd9dc_b.jpg

The top and sides were fine in fact but I'd left out the offset along the bottom. Well spotted Alan! :thumbsup2:

I think the greater challenge will be handling and assembling parts afterwards.

Agreed. In fact I'm expecting quite a lot of fun at the washing and curing stage also. :nodding:

I think I'm scarred for life.  I can no longer look at a Sea Vixen wing fold without seeing that dirty little robot

It gets worse.

Behold the mighty Wangbot!

50162165043_667556fb5b_b.jpg

On 7/26/2020 at 6:00 PM, Brandy said:

Don't tell her you printed the enchiladas and she'll be fine!

🤪

She didn't suspect a thing Ian - and also bought a massive banana, caramel and pecan cake with her, the dear creature!

On 7/26/2020 at 10:34 PM, The Spadgent said:

By no means taking away from anything that’s going on now but I can admire both

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

I think Johnny's right.  It aint a zero sum game.  Blow any cognitive dissidence; I'm gonna admire both too.

For the avoidance of doubt I was referring rather to my crudity of execution back then.

100% agree it's not an either/or situation regarding materials. (As yer man Kierkegaard wrote in his much-misunderstood allegory on modelling..) 😁

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

one side says buy a 3D printer and get some CAD software immediately,

Buy a 3d printer! :devil:

(Fusion you can get free for non-commercial use).

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

the other side says I'll never achieve this level of epic-ness. What to do? 

I seem to recall you built your own Dobsonian - I would say that is a good index of the potential for Bill-epicness!

22 hours ago, michaelc said:

What is the old saying, that we stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before as they show us what is possible?

It's all about looking and drawing: if you can combine these two to whatever degree, you can work Fusion, no problem. :nodding:

In fact I would say that looking and accurate observation are the most demanding part of the process - in this respect I'm blessed with being watched over by the acuity of @71chally and @hendie

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ho. Lee. Cur. App.

Unbelievably good.

Typing Ho Lee Cur into the App section on the Google Play store the top hit was:

50162948568_f61a7c6588_c.jpg

- and now I have hundreds of photos of myself posing winsomely with the Korean singer/actor.

Signed:

'Bewildered of Ireland'

This posting lark is a lot less demanding when other brighter bods have already said it all.....

You must have been a nightmare on ops.

Tower: 'Red Two, please confirm position. Over.'

Red Two: 'Just behind Red Three. Over...'

He's right too.

And you're very kind too. Many thanks Steve. :thumbsup2:

It's probably true to say that I've now fitted about as much into the wingfold as I'm realistically going to be able to at this scale:

50162952142_b0399c04b1_b.jpg

At a larger scale I could probably have that latching mechanism actually working, but here, issues of material strength make that impossible to achieve.

The bits in rust red are those that will be made separately from brass. (There's only a single latching pin in each of the forward latches btw purely to help me establish height/angle during building - two each in the finished article obvs..)

In terms of the base drawing, the dual latching mechanism in the forward section of the fold is possibly one of the most complex pieces of draughting I've had to do for a component so far:

50162165018_4350a1a207_b.jpg

Much of the initial stage simply involves aligning features with each other in terms of how they are articulated/interact, a byproduct of which is the assembly suddenly materializing in your mind as a working structure that you understand the nature how things activate each other in push/pull terms:

50162703436_fee3943292_b.jpg

To give an idea of scale, the brass rods/latch pins will be added from a mixture of 0.3/0.4mm brass tube:

50162951942_442fb643e0_b.jpg

The rear latch mechnaism/pin assembly is an experiment for printing in that I've provided supporting extensions from the rear of them to rib 4 inboard. If these turn out to be too visually intrusive/unrealistic I can print them to be mounted separately without such supports but I wanted to see at this scale where certain visual limits lie:

50162951927_722c3e00bd_b.jpg

The vertical brackets in front of these rear latch pins' along with the large trellis-like framework overlaying the front sets' will form part of homebrew PE experiments later:

50162951967_dd5dc7bae1_b.jpg

All of those holes for the brass rods to fit into have had slight offsets added the diameters to (hopefully) avoid too much remedial work later:

50162951947_b64a2a3d2c_b.jpg

The cable-tesnioning gubbins also got added under the cable tray towards the leading edge:

50162703311_325ca85322_b.jpg

It won't win any prizes for detail but that is I think about as much formally as will reproduce in this scale for that section however...

We've already mentioned that the reat latch will be printed as part of the wing itself, however with the  more complex nature of the forward latching structures, these will by necessity be printed separately and glued into place later along with their connecting brass sections:

50162703346_bbf5d360e8_b.jpg

50162952067_01a6c8a9f6_b.jpg

That big silver 'knuckle' (aka the @hendie Shagbot) of the main wing linkage in the centre of the fold will likewise be printed as a separate component and locked into place with brass rod during the final construction phase of the build when the outer wing sections are added to '708:

50162164928_253c2fa3f6_b.jpg

A more distant view:

50162164973_bdbe725884_b.jpg

At this point it's sensible I think to get some further information about print viability by running some test prints of wingfold and undercarriage sections. There's no point running on through the CAD part of the process unless your design decisions are informed by  the limitations of the material processes, so I want to gauge how well this level of virtual detailing reproduces as physical reality.

For the wingfold, this will involve cutting about 1cm inboard and outboard of the wing sections so that only the sections of the wing immediately adjacent to ribs 4 and 4a are output - I don't need the whole wing printed to test the fold detail. For the undercarriage sections, I do have some written notes somewhere about how to break down and orient these for printing in a manner that involves as little cleanup afterwards as possible.

A last look down along the sides:

50162164923_6694505150_b.jpg

Hopefully in a few days I'll have some physical versions of the above output in resin and ready for you to look at!

Until then, thanks as always to you all for the support - it always touches me to think of you taking the time to look over the unspeakable in pursuit of the unprintable.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

I have to say the two gentlemen who have just commented wow, are indeed correct to comment wow.

WOW!

A bit rather incredibly amazing!

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Amazing work. Simply amazing, and now I'm just taking my first steps into Fusion360 I have all the more respect for the amount of skill this takes.

I reckon there's plenty out there who think the main barrier to 3D printing is buying a printer, then you just show your computer machine a photo of the thing you want and out it pops. Hahaha no. Those what reckon this is the easy lazy way to make models are even more hillarious.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Amazing work. Simply amazing, and now I'm just taking my first steps into Fusion360 I have all the more respect for the amount of skill this takes.

I reckon there's plenty out there who think the main barrier to 3D printing is buying a printer, then you just show your computer machine a photo of the thing you want and out it pops. Hahaha no. Those what reckon this is the easy lazy way to make models are even more hillarious.

Jamie, I couldn't agree more!  It is a fallacy that many fall into, thinking that technology makes things easier, like any tool, the talent , the willingness to learn how to use it and the creativity all have to be present. ;)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Tony, you know, there are sometimes when I have to remind myself which forum site I'm on, images like above are what I see on astronomy sites. ;)

• Like 2

Wow! is right! That wingfold detail is enough to give me nightmares about my university mechanical drawing classes in the T-square/triangle/mechanical pencil days of yore. Some of it looks to be ideal candidates for photoetch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

From me also a  "Wow"! Kate Bush won't mind, but for that inspiring picture one of my favourite instrumental (of course by one of my favourites since my youth)

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Hopefully in a few days I'll have some physical versions of the above output in resin and ready for you to look at!

Yessssss!

Breath bated :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The proper 1/72 scale of course Michael!

Why bother - just build a full size one, you've probably got better drawings to do so than deHavilland had..... :)

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You must have been a nightmare on ops.

Tower: 'Red Two, please confirm position. Over.'

Red Two: 'Just behind Red Three. Over...'

:rofl2:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

At this point it's sensible I think to get some further information about print viability by running some test prints of wingfold and undercarriage sections.

and dirty little robots doing unspeakable things!   

I can't wait to see how that turns out Tony. (the prints, not the dirty little robot)  Are you planning to delve into photo etch as well with this build?  Ah, yes you are - I just reread your post and paid more attention this time.

I wish laser cutters would come down in price more  - it would be a lot less hassle being able just to laser cut what you need in brass. Sort of a Silhouette on steroids.

Once you have all that wingfolderymagubbins complete - have you thought of scaling it up and printing it with a small section of wing either side (similar to your plan for the test print but larger) ?  That would make for a nice objet d'art sitting on your desk

Wangbot indeed!  :rofl2:

• Like 5