Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

19 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Is this where you tell us you have a complete Sean Bean / Sharpe's War panorama across both shoulder blades Pete?

The nearest I have is a sharp wit. And that's fading at a rate of knots. I could never really see the point of tattoos.

Popular with lots of people, I know, but they tend to sag when you get past about sixty odd.

As for Sharpe, I'm afraid my Military interests begin in the thirties with the Merlin engine. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

50101774912_7c62081f37_z.jpg

Am currently available for desperado work and general hornswoggling:

….and putting the willies up American explorers!

latest?cb=20130731003106

Unmasked at last!

The drawings look absolutely amazing. 

Re the pylons I think XJ481 had the very early standard Vixen type fitted, and had some external wiring coming off them and the inboard pair were braced on their inboard side to the underwing.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

I'm somewhas obsessed at present by the idea of doing HMS Furious in one of her guises between 1918-1925. She's such an intriguing palimpsest for changing ideas about naval aviation and not well served by existing kits as far as I can see. At what scale of course is another question though ....

Now that would be something quite special! 1/350 would be a manageable size..... Just saying.

Terry

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Now that would be something quite special! 1/350 would be a manageable size..... Just saying.

Terry

well, 1/72 would allow for a greater detailed exploration of naval aviation and the development of the F.A.A.?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

but I thought you'd appreciate the metal turning on this brass astrononomical plate measuring appratus instead:

I did. I do. I does.   Thanks Tony

I think the shape of it is working, but I don't however think that printing the fence is an option, on grounds of thickness:

Beef it up to .5mm or .75 mm, print it out as a separate part and use it as a template to scribe the brass you're going to end up using for the fence. 

-  but soon realized that this would present me with a lot of complicated tidying up to do after printing in terms of cleaning out the recesses, so reverted to some 0.7mm peg/recess combinations for mounting the pylons also:

I might be tempted to go for holes in both the wing and the aileron. The holes can always be cleaned out afterwards, and you could use wire to fix one part to t'other and the wire would allow you to pose the flying surfaces at any angle that gets you excited. The bonus is that the mating surface recessed in the wing and the complimentary brass profile will be a perfect match

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

but I think this large astonisher may be the M42 nebula in Orion

Wow. That is a fantastic looking ehrrr ummm uuuuu.... thing.  That wouldn't look out of place as a Bauhaus album cover. Very goffik like.

Sounds like a fantastic place to visit. Another one on my bucket list

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another great update Tony - oooh, the detail… :) 

Your question about 'Jeff been in?' got me googling… something to do with the Coach & Horses pub in Soho? The Private Eye staff apparently had a fortnightly lunch there and it was Jeffery's favourite pub…

Found it! This Wiki entry says:

"The Regulars also by Michael Heath – based on the drinking scene at the Coach and Horses pub in London (a regular meeting place for the magazine's staff and guests), and featuring the catchphrase "Jeff bin in?" (a reference to pub regular, the journalist Jeffrey Bernard)."

Once the misspelling is known, explained in this book too…

/Sunday morning research.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I could never really see the point of tattoos.

You'll never going to be able to join a motorcycle gang with that attitude Pete.

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Wings and hanging out bits shaping up beautifully, Tony

Most generous of you - as always Giorgio. :thanks:

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

Unmasked at last!

:rofl:

It's merely an  unfortunate coincidence hat I've always coveted one of those full-length leather coats as well James....

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

Re the pylons I think XJ481 had the very early standard Vixen type fitted, and had some external wiring coming off them and the inboard pair were braced on their inboard side to the underwing.

Good to know! :thumbsup2: I hadn't realized that there was in fact an earlier version of the pylons but now I look back over some of the shots showing '481 and '486 in the same frame as well....

img010.sized.jpg

Also good to know about that bracing on the inboard ones - I wasn't sure were these a later museum repair, but can see it readily on early contemporary shots of 481.

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

3D printing you some horns there Beelzebub the Enticer... :laugh:

16 hours ago, michaelc said:

well, 1/72 would allow for a greater detailed exploration of naval aviation and the development of the F.A.A.?

And you as well.... :winkgrin:

15 hours ago, hendie said:

Beef it up to .5mm or .75 mm, print it out as a separate part and use it as a template to scribe the brass you're going to end up using for the fence. 

Exactement  Alan - however I need to consider those who are not Friends of the Golden Alloy in their building (dreadful I know to even contemplate that there are such devils in our midst) and don't want to have to hand-cut a whole load of gear for the Ministry of de Fence.

I might be tempted to go for holes in both the wing and the aileron.

You have convinced me and the Deflected Control Surface lobby have now been catered for (see below) 😁

Sounds like a fantastic place to visit. Another one on my bucket list

Well worth your time if you ever get the chance. There's a small aerodrome near Birr as well so flying in clandestinely in a Lizzie is an option.

8 hours ago, CedB said:

"The Regulars also by Michael Heath – based on the drinking scene at the Coach and Horses pub in London (a regular meeting place for the magazine's staff and guests), and featuring the catchphrase "Jeff bin in?" (a reference to pub regular, the journalist Jeffrey Bernard)."

'Ced bin in?' 😁

The Regulars! How could I forget? 🤦‍♂️ :thanks:

That and 'The Yobs' (Dog-lovers look away now...):

yob-strips-23.jpg

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Sunday morning research.

Is there any other kind? 😀

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Tony, I do like looking at the drawings and admire your mastery of this dark art.  

Hope you and Mrs Baron had a great anniversary fella

Thank you on both counts you kind man Chris. :thumbsup2:

As per Alan's suggestification I have made it possible for patrons to deflectify the ailerons if required, via insertion of a 0.6mm Ø bendy length of their choice:

50104288627_2caf5fe519_b.jpg

A mounting mechanism also added for the wing fence in the form of a 0.3mm wide slot for the brass part to fit into later:

50103481598_0db2579c8d_b.jpg

I want to limit adding too many such slots and opening if I can help it in order to avoid to much clean-up after printing, however in terms of assembly, a certain number are going to be unavoidable.

Today is also the day when the wings of both aircraft head in separate directions. XJ481s intact versions with all sundry bumps etc. now goes to it's own component, whilst XN708's has now officially had the chop between ribs 4 & 4a:

50104288592_e01c9c4624_b.jpg

The axis of rotation there isn't quite right in the above shot as the wing is angled beack to wards the rear of the aircraft more in reality with very little gap between the two halves at the rear.

A frontal view with this corrected:

50104057956_40fffe3676_b.jpg

The reverse-angle:

50104288597_f59fca5c10_b.jpg

A stbd 3/4 with ailerons deflected as per @hendie's advice:

50103481548_3cc901f08a_b.jpg

That's me out of breath, out of time and out of words.

Off to continue reading John Stubbs' biography of the poet John Donne, in which there is considerable discussion over the lax morals of London lawyers at Lincoln's Inn and their propensity for streetfighting with Apprentices. This is quite frankly disgraceful @Fritag and I trust does not reflect current Yorkshire legal practices....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

You'll never going to be able to join a motorcycle gang with that attitude Pete.

We all have our burden to bear. 🚲

via insertion of a 0.6mm Ø bendy length of their choice:

Snort!

and I trust does not reflect current Yorkshire legal practices....

That's fightin' talk! I'll see thee in court, Lad!

• Haha 3

.....in which there is considerable discussion over the lax morals of London lawyers at Lincoln's Inn and their propensity for streetfighting with Apprentices. This is quite frankly disgraceful @Fritag and I trust does not reflect current Yorkshire legal practices....

Oy; as it ‘appens I’m a member of Lincoln’s Inn - but fighting with local apprentices is no longer mandatory -  and the propensity for violence generally has somewhat waned, much to the disgust of legal traditionalists ☹️

Current Yorkshire legal practice consists of sitting at ‘ome and comitting advocacy by Skype, Teams, Zoom or BT conference call....   I did a remote hearing  before (virtually as it were) a High Court Judge t’other week in my trackie bottoms.....and for all I know he could have been in his PJs (my imagination stopped there!) 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I did a remote hearing  before (virtually as it were) a High Court Judge t’other week in my trackie bottoms.....and for all I know he could have been in his PJs (my imagination stopped there!)

We have a barrister in the family, and we have had similar (some hilarious) stories of life in the legal lane, during lockdown!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

We have a barrister in the family, and we have had similar (some hilarious) stories of life in the legal lane, during lockdown!

Terry

A lawyer in the family and you admit it???

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That's fightin' talk! I'll see thee in court, Lad!

There's the germ of a Specsavers advert in there somewhere.

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

Oy; as it ‘appens I’m a member of Lincoln’s Inn

The lace cuffs and ostrich feather are a bit of a giveaway tbh Steve.

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

fighting with local apprentices is no longer mandatory

I guess that's covered by 'hobbies and interests' on the form nowadays.

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Human nature bravely sets forth, with comedy at the wheel... :laugh:

9 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

have been building the FROG Sea Vixen for a few weeks now.  It will be the death of me.

It did for poor Chatterton in the end:

Wallis+Death+of+Chatterton_mid.jpg

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

A lawyer in the family and you admit it???

He's done so in public and in print Michael - the  man is clearly a high stakes gambler...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

I have been building the FROG Sea Vixen for a few weeks now.  It will be the death of me.

spacer.png

No it will not, but expect hours of amusement with the red engine cover warning keep yer bloody heavy feet off markings.

It ends up looking like a vixen to everyone who isn't sculpting one lovingly from thin air and calculus, honest.

P1010098.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

It ends up looking like a vixen to everyone who isn't sculpting one lovingly from thin air and calculus, honest.

He promised me it was card and filler! Tsk :sad:

(Calculus, is that like bones and stuff?)

• Haha 6

I've no idea how I have managed to miss so much over the last week, but firstly, a belated happy anny to you and the Baroness!

Second, erm, err, too much gone on. Overload!

Although I must admit to being a huge Sharpe fan. I may have to look those series up and watch them again.

I do think the adjustable aileron idea is best, as I always add just a tiny deflection to give the model a little "life", however with the work you're putting into this, it will have a life all of its own!

Looking forward to the next installment!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 9:57 AM, perdu said:

expect hours of amusement with the red engine cover warning keep yer bloody heavy feet off markings.

Is it usual to have them on the bonnet of a Skoda though Bill? The guy who imported it for us swore blind that that airbrake came as standard on the Octavia as well but tbh, it just looks like the belly pan is hanging down....

On 7/13/2020 at 10:36 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

He promised me it was card and filler!

Errr...I may have gotten mixed up with 'filler cards'...

(That is by far the most unintentionally Monty Pythonic webpage I've ever seen btw)

tumblr_inline_pnmey2TBVd1qlnpg8_540.gif

On 7/13/2020 at 4:48 PM, Brandy said:

Looking forward to the next installment!

Ta for all of that Ian. :thumbsup2:

Must confess to being more of a Jack Aubrey man myself when it comes to the military yarn -the sea having long been in my blood since I was a youth and had that rubber shark from Jaws to routinely savage Action Man in the bathtub. Along with the Airfix HMS Fearless this may not - I'm prepared to concede-  have been the most authentic re-enactment of the Battle of the North Cape.

Digging around in the various folders of images acquired since Christmas I finally located this which I remember discussing a while back with @Pete in Lincs:

50109822231_b019c69acd_c.jpg

I knew resin was in there somewhere but had forgotten the glass fibre component (that page should be legible if downloaded).

Work has started on the wingfold details, commencing with the hinge cutouts along the upper fairing 'bulge':

50113027582_c178f3387a_b.jpg

With those points established I then began adding structure, starting with recessing the fold surface where required back to rib 4, before  proceeeding to add the most critical components in terms of orientating the two wings halves correctly with each other when opened up - namely the hinges and latches:

50113027602_f12c25441a_b.jpg

In my earlier naïveté regarding such issues I'd blithely assumed that both of said items would be perpendicular to the chord line.  In order to handle the way the outer wing section angles backwards as it folds up however, the mounting for that big shiny 'knuckle' of the wing-fold linkage mid-wing is correspondingly angled slightly backwards. Like wise, the latching points echo the changing profile of the wing camber in terms of their individual orientations:

50112225393_6b95be88b9_b.jpg

With the lower latches in place and shaped (at 0.4mm part thicknesses these all fall within realistic printing tolerances), this provided the necessary spacings and orientations to begin adding the outer latch mountings  in turn:

50112799141_c38db72dc1_b.jpg

I've noticed that the focus in the preponderence of Vixen wingfold imagery is (for obvious photogenic reasons) on the elaborate latching and hinging mechanism mounted to rib 4. I had taken a number of shots myself face-on to the outer wing structure at Yeovilton last summer in preparation for this particular job, but unfortunately lost those back in February when one of the laptop HDs had to be replaced. Luckily there are a number of detailed drawings in the manual that help distinguishing features from one another in relation to photography.

A more characteristic view of the upper wing when folded:

50113027557_cf0cbe3214_b.jpg

As with the inboard side of the fold, the one for the oute rwing section has part of its length recessed (in this case to rib 4a) , though rather than the sharp demarcations ffront and rear on the inboard fold, the outer recess angles in from the rear and curves in more gently from the front. The above view just spun around temporarily for a screenshot - whilst buidling the corresponding set of details linking the two halves of the wing I'm keeping them oriented in the 'open' position, whilst  using transparency to let me X-ray the structure and check alignments and sizes as we go along:

50112225458_6a4f097d78_b.jpg

That rear set of double triangles (with the two lightening holes in the top one) are much thinner in reality that shown here - it won't be printed but will be used as the basis for an etched brass part later along with the fence, in relation to which I've added a separate section to the design hierarchy now called (you'd never have guessed this): 'brassparts'...

50112799136_d423429eb5_b.jpg

Being to scale and shape, tthese can be exported as flat graphics to be used in designing the etch later.

That's the mountings for the operating mechanisms now done then:

50112799181_3aa800aaf7_b.jpg

As they are mounted directly onto the wing ribs, all of those parts can be printed as part of the wing sections without too many problems. In being raised away from the surfaces of the wing however, the latching mechanisms and fold linkage in the centre will be printed as spearate parts to be joined on afterwards using metal pins. Making those mechanisms then should keep me busy for a few days!

Tony

• Like 14

You're capturing the look of the very distinctive wing fold mechanism in your usual exemplary manner, Tony :worthy:  :worthy:  This is going to add a great deal of realism once printed (and painted, and weathered, dare I say) :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

the latching mechanisms and fold linkage in the centre will be printed as separate parts to be joined on afterwards using metal pins.

A working wing-fold mechanism? Yegods, the tension builds

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I knew resin was in there somewhere but had forgotten the glass fibre component

I hadn't realized the defense budget had got so bad since I absconded.  The RAF now sources spares from Quickboost and Eduard ?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, giemme said:

This is going to add a great deal of realism once printed (and painted, and weathered, dare I say)

Given how much I admire the paint and tone work of yourself and @Massimo Giorgio, I may just subcontract the painting stage and get you both to sign an NDA! :laugh:

On 7/15/2020 at 1:13 AM, hendie said:

A working wing-fold mechanism? Yegods, the tension builds

Only partly - it's an origami fractal in there! 😀

On 7/15/2020 at 1:13 AM, hendie said:

hadn't realized the defense budget had got so bad since I absconded.  The RAF now sources spares from Quickboost and Eduard ?  

I see the USN now reduced to deploying cakes on deck to fool the PLA Navy as well these days:

dscf9606.jpg

Was it really last Tuesday since this was updated? Outside of the usual daily round, like many people the lack of any holiday trips this year has resulted in a focus on domestic repairs/upgrades to Maison Baron instead - also known as 'those jobs that have been on the long finger  forever'.

When we first bought our house, I stood in this hallway and said to a Mrs. B heavily pregnant with our 2nd: 'I'll get the underside of those stairs done by Christmas.'. Now, seventeen years later that promise and those stairs have come true. :laugh:

50129260132_09f4b6fc0e_c.jpg

Or rather, it's taken so long to complete the job that in the meantime our firstborn has grown up to become a far better chippie than his old man ever was and let me help him finish it...

A final pic before we get into the screenshots. After several weeks, the clouds broke late last evening and we dashed outside to finally see the comet in the NW sky:

50129266547_f6102a7487_c.jpg

Stood for ages watching it fall behind the trees with a bat flitting around our heads - absolutely mesmerizing and still.

If the weather holds tonight I want to go back out and get some sharper longer-exposure shots to bring out more detail in that tail.

A number of decisions have been taken over the course of the week regarding the wingfold for XN708 - the first of which was to include the series of open flaps along the upper fairing that accomodate protrusions of the folding mechanism:

50129260137_c17e990faf_b.jpg

These are visually big enough to warrant inclusion and fall within printing tolerances anyway so should add realism in this area, as well as aids in helping to position the wing in place:

50128470618_dcb016a00e_b.jpg

The other decision, or rather, my hand being forced by circumstances, was to continue building the remaining sections of the folding mechanism with the outer wing raised. This wasn't really a problem when I was only having to contend with aligning simpler structures with each other (such as the latch couplings) but pretty soon in trying to model the central folding linkage (the big shiny metal piece so prominent in photohraphs of this area), it became apparent that the sheer number of interlocking parts in three-dimensions required me to work with the wings in their fully-open positions. I did initially masochistically persevere in building the linkage without doing so, but always ended up stymied in one axis or another when pivoting into the raised position. Also the wing never quite seemed to sit correctly pivoted in either the latitudinal and longitudinal (usually both!) axes of the wing fold when working in that way - hence the transition to a raised building at this tage. No point having a slew of details contradicted by a badly-positioned wing.

Anyway, I emerged from some of those earlier wrong turnings clutching one of these:

50129260162_fcb1f26b1c_b.jpg

The shape is broadly accurate with only (hopefully) a few small concessions to printing thickness influencing the visual fidelity. Mounted into place I'm actually quite pleased at how much detail it was possible to include here given what a prominent role that this part plays in the family of structures along the fold line:

50129260182_f4b5b325da_b.jpg

Part of the reason for taking so much time on this as well was the necessity for the linkage (much like the real thing) to form part of the load bearing structure supporting the outer wing when folded over at an angle. To aid in accurate placement, there's an offset hole in rib 4 to accept the middle arm mounting where it enters the wing:

50129260172_591b38a2fc_b.jpg

The linkage will be printed separately from the wings and mounted into position using brass rod at the positions numbered below:

50129040236_5db93c6cf2_b.jpg

Not quite the fully-articulated beast that @hendie laughed about in his last post, but probably the closest it's possible to get at 1/72.

A final mirroring to show bother sides of the fold so far....

50128470698_103c3346e5_b.jpg

I'm conscious that there shouldn't be quite as much daylight visible between the two halves of the wings back there towards the trailing edge - this is the one compromise forced on me by the scale thickness of the wing edges themselves where they interact along the top of the fold fairing. I'm not happy about the inaccuracy involved but will have to settle for this and hope it doesn't detract too much from the final ensemble.

With the addition of the front and rear hinges along with the cable tray which I want to work on next, such parts should hopefully allow me to add detail and structural strength alongside each other - material properties will find me out if they don't!

Thanks for looking in all of you and I hope you've been having a good weekend so far.

Tony

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

:wow: And I mean: :wow: Wingfold art deployed here! :worthy:

32 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I may just subcontract the painting stage and get you both to sign an NDA!

Sounds like an idea :D But you have a good provision of painting ability yourself :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1