Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

That looks bloody impressive Tony! (technical term there). I'm definitely looking forward to Friday. Although of course we shouldn't be wishing our lives away, once in a while a good reason comes up!

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've meetings online all tomorrow morning and have to drive down to work after lunch (first time in the building since the lockdown started here on March 13th, which will be strange to say the least) in order to collect a rake of camera gear and lenses so I reckon it'll be Thursday earliest before I can get near to playing with the supports and stuff.

you need to get your priorities sorted out my good man

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

All being well then I'll get this on overnight Thurs and hopefully have some positive physical results to share with you some time on Friday.

If you have room on the build plate, it would be cool to shrink everything down and print off a full solid Vixen just for gits and shiggles.  I reckon you could make a full Vixen ~ 20mm long ?

Vixen  ear-rings anyone?  

• Haha 7

On 26/05/2020 at 22:45, Space Ranger said:

Tie clasp (for those who still wear 'em)? Cuff links?

Could certainly do lost resin casting - print the model, set into moulding sand and then pour hot metal in. Investment cast of a brass or other metal gorgeous sea vixen. Nice bonnet ornament for the Baronial Vehicle?

• Like 2

Had a bit of an airshow outside this morning:

49948507047_c2081b3c1b_c.jpg

Whooshes were to be heard of course, accompanied a small dance of pleasure at finally having something physical to show you after all thse months. 🕺🛩️

This is what it started out as last evening:

49944368558_406fa02208_b.jpg

As with many things on this build, this is in essence an experiment in the practicalities of printing components (n terms of what works regarding size, orientation on the printer) and trying to avoid having support marks all over curved surfaces. Parrt of the endeavour included adding some location lugs to help fit the parts together:

49944368563_aa3c5abaf7_b.jpg

I stupidly made these lugs far too large as they caused all sorts of problems in setting supports into place where needed and were a considerable PITA in cleaning off said supports after the print.

Much smaller and judiciously-placed next time.

The tight clustering of the parts like this was simply to find out if it were in fact possible to print the aircraft in a single go, which it is - just!

After 8 hours of stewing in the UV, this is what emerged like dripping from the vat at 7am this morning:

49948507017_836dd46257_c.jpg

Initial results?

Everything printed well down to razor fine edges, though not without a couple of issues that need accounting for next time around:

1. The trailing edges of the fin/rudder areas are impracticably thin at this scale (due in part to the overall cross section of these components) and look eroded in places - not sure yet whether to thicken the trailing edges slightly or to add a sacrificial strip to augment them during printing that can be sanded down later. I need to weigh-up the pros and cons first before taking that decision.
  2. At the sharp apexes of the wing roots there's a slight fall-away due - I think - to me not having aedquate supports in the corners.* This is not complicated to correct.

*I didn't use the Photon validating software on the supports this time around as the complexity of this design gave it a nervous breakdown - I wonder does it have some kind of memory-buffer limit to how extensive a set of shapes it can analyze?

After cleaning up in 99% IPA followed by warm-water & detergent, I trimmed away any remaining support stubs and began some solar-powered gluing (the resin as an adhesive & sunlight to set):

49948507012_7a34a8dc9c_c.jpg

As I've done previously, the print hasn't been tidied-up in any way. Also, with this being a test-run to critique proportional appearances, the parts are only tacked together temporarily with resin for these following shots. Any visible gaps are because I haven't bothered sanding away the residues of the support structures and not the result of any distortions introduced by the printing process - the purpose of this test print being solely to gexamine accuracy of shape and how the printer handles them at this scale.

Back to Raymond Baxter's commentary then...

49948507072_2d0ee559b6_c.jpg

The combination of high thin cirrus and sun made for rather gorgeous diffuse lighting conditions.

49947716213_39e41a7e2f_c.jpg

49948215876_f68c2f48b2_c.jpg

49948215911_943da451f5_c.jpg

49947716228_8c50b2a3a7_c.jpg

49948215851_bee03b72ec_c.jpg

Vixen to the Skies!

49948215946_3e4b0b96c2_c.jpg

49948671947_f3933e508d_c.jpg

:bye:

Tony

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

'That is really amazing.' he said. 'That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it.' Zaphod Beeblebrox, Galactic President (former title holder of Universe's most unlikely president, now a distant 2nd place)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've made an absolute howler in those shots lads - if you at look at the forward extent of the booms top and bottom where they approach the leading edge of the wings, they're a dead giveaway that I've gotten the wings reversed. 

Ffs! I've only been staring at this aircraft for 5 months solid.... :facepalm:

Just dashed out to try and swap them over but the bonds have cured rock hard in the sun. If nothing else I know that cured resin makes a damn strong bond now - pity it's such an embarrassing way to discover it... :laugh:

• Haha 10
  • Sad 3

Still looks bloody good even with the wings bottom-about-face!

Ian

Got to love auto correct. I did NOT type "bottom"!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! Just Wow. WOW.....!!!

Do you realise you are going to be the most envied (or hated!) man in the 1/72 aircraft modelling community for being the only person in the world with an accurate Sea Vixen....!!

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I've made an absolute howler in those shots lads - if you at look at the forward extent of the booms top and bottom where they approach the leading edge of the wings, they're a dead giveaway that I've gotten the wings reversed. 

And even then it looks so brilliant that no-one noticed....!!

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Absolutely bloomin' gorgeous Tony - well done that man! :clap:

(Even with the wings on the wrong sides, she looks amazing)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just don't paint the tops white and the bottoms EDSG....

Go on go on go on, do it that way

Then we can say it was a fault on the maintenance line rather than the designer doing a do-do

Tony this is utterly brilliant, just W O W !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was going to say  "hmnnnn, ... not bad for a first attempt", but I'll resort to an "Wow!  that is an absolutely spiffing result Tony."   I'm really pleased for you in that all those months of hard work have now resulted in a truly exceptional Sea Vixen.  

I'm gonna guess... maybe about 50p to print, all said and  done?

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

*I didn't use the Photon validating software on the supports this time around as the complexity of this design gave it a nervous breakdown - I wonder does it have some kind of memory-buffer limit to how extensive a set of shapes it can analyze?

No idea if there's a limit, but there's nothing to stop you saving each part as an individual project and analyzing them separately, then combining them for the actual print

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joining the chorus ................. AMAZING! Really excellent results Tony, and the bottom up wing is a mere glitch in the whole scheme of the universe I would say. 

Terry

aka deeply impressed of deepest Dorset.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Wow! Just Wow. WOW.....!!!

Do you realise you are going to be the most envied (or hated!) man in the 1/72 aircraft modelling community for being the only person in the world with an accurate Sea Vixen....!!

Unless he decides to sell copies to all of us drooling with envy!

• Like 3