Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

On 19/05/2020 at 21:43, Pete in Lincs said:

Earlier today I found out that you can print copper! Where will it all end?

As a materials chemist working on some ideas for the field I can say you'd be amazed at some of the stuff that is in prospect. There's even lots of work on printing directly with calcium phosphate pigmented resins that you can print, heat sinter to burn off the resin and then use as surgical implants where the now mineral phosphate straight away gets incorporated into new bone growth. Not weight bearing strength straight away but long term being able to get bone to regrow in the shape of lost material is a great idea for post-accident or disease reconstruction 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

49921897783_1548d23f5d_b.jpg

why does this strike me as being decidedly Thunderbirds'ish ? 

F. A. B. Tony

can't wait to see the nails and  planks in place. carry on...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, hendie said:

F. A. B. Tony

can't wait to see the nails and  planks in place. carry on...

"Fire flash ! Lift port wing. ..lift port wing !"

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2020 at 12:56 PM, 71chally said:

Nice to see the booms getting the join the dots treatment.

They're not going down without a fight James! Initial thoughts about 'a day'll see them done' soon flew out the window - they're almost like trying to design a set of small fuselages in their own right with all those curves and profiles around the wing!

On 5/22/2020 at 2:35 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

As a materials chemist working on some ideas for the field I can say you'd be amazed at some of the stuff that is in prospect. There's even lots of work on printing directly with calcium phosphate pigmented resins that you can print, heat sinter to burn off the resin and then use as surgical implants where the now mineral phosphate straight away gets incorporated into new bone growth. Not weight bearing strength straight away but long term being able to get bone to regrow in the shape of lost material is a great idea for post-accident or disease reconstruction 

Fascinating Alistair. :thumbsup2:

I try and keep abreastof such things in New Scientist as much as possible but a far as materials science goes there are some truly alchemical things happening nowadays that continually astound. I'm reminded of that old Arthur C. Clarke saw about 'any sufficiently advanced civilization will seem like magic...'

On 5/22/2020 at 2:39 PM, hendie said:

F. A. B. Tony

On 5/22/2020 at 8:41 PM, Neil Lambess said:

"Fire flash ! Lift port wing. ..lift port wing !"

:rofl2:

(Perfectly phrased Neil)

As mentioned in the opener, these booms are a right handful for a number of reasons. Not only are they asymmetric top and bottom in terms of their forward extents but addded into the mix is the manner in which they split over/under the wing camber. No question in this instance of being able to build a single elliptical run and join it into the wing as a single unit, however one small mercy has been having an X-ray in the form of the station diagram to help decide how to break the frames down into manageable sections:

49931576082_85b340f0b0_c.jpg

The hardest part was establishing the plan outline of the booms on the upper and lower wing surfaces. With these a series of undulating three-dimensional curves no easy task but eventually with the aid of some surface projection I was able to get these established and then begin elaborating a framework around them:

49930830658_55a6f6f203_b.jpg

Uncannily like a Toucan going for a Guinness....

49930753253_4ee4e2aff2_b.jpg

See what I mean about all them curves? Brings us back to @71challys earlier remarks about the sheer skill of the guys who did this the first time round.

Added into the mix for some comparison shots:

49931264436_7952f8efab_b.jpg

49931264446_8f518203e0_b.jpg

All very picturesque an' all that but the make-or-break is always the comparison with references:

49930753293_ba23df2203_b.jpg

Reckon I can live with that.

That port wing's dropping again - where's @Neil Lambess? :laugh:

49931576052_4dca8cf0f1_b.jpg

Utra-windy for the time of year here since Friday with a number of trees in full leaf getting blown over, however this evening turnedto a May heat bath that has the garden awash with perfumes of Musk rose, wisteria and clematis at the back door:

49931379366_93fb8f9999_c.jpg

Detail upon detail in the falling light.

49930867473_87133acd4f_c.jpg

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Uncannily like a Toucan going for a Guinness....

Son and his missus brought our grandaughter over for a visit this afternoon, 'social distancing' having the missus and me hanging out of the lounge window and Eden running around the front lawn doing animal impersinations. One was obviously a bird - 'parrot' says I, 'Eagle' says Nana. Nope. Sparrow? No, Crow? No. Penquin? No. 'Give up' asks Eden? Yes we chorus. 'It's a Toucan silly'!! Instantly into my head comes - ''Guiness for Nigel, Guiness for Nigel''.....!! If only my brain would retain useful stuff as it does advertising trivia....!! 🤣

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Uncannily like a Toucan going for a Guinness.

More Pteranadon than Toucan.

AW

• Haha 3

Great work Tony the renderings are providing us with more Sea Vixen lovelyness.  

I have been getting the mancave liveable and creating my new workbench from our old computer cupboard along with populating my shelves with my models and got out my Sea Vixen FAW.1 and had a long look around and realised what a great job you are doing here with your wonderful creation.

Great work fella.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

Superb.  And we’ve had references to Farnborough & The Fleet Air Arm (a fascinating book) AND 801 Live (a true classic; I have a copy signed by Phil Manzanera, no less).

Marvelous!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If only my brain would retain useful stuff as it does advertising trivia....!!

I got one phrase for you mister: 'Hofmeister lager - follow the bear!' :laugh:

15 hours ago, Andwil said:

More Pteranadon than Toucan.

Nailed it perfectly! :thumbsup2:

8 hours ago, CedB said:

More great work Tony - especially on the tricky shapes there :thumbsup:

Toucan? Guiness? My favourite is finally available online… "Bad news Mrs Lovell"

Thanks Ced! 😁

That Toucan went on to marry Joan Collins you know.

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work fella.

Most kind Chris - hope your getting that mancave nice and plush! 👍

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Superb.  And we’ve had references to Farnborough & The Fleet Air Arm (a fascinating book) AND 801 Live (a true classic; I have a copy signed by Phil Manzanera, no less).

Marvelous!

Did you know that David Byrne was a huge fan of the Fleet Air Arm too?

'Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est?
FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA,
....'

Took Monday morning off as to be frank sometimes you just have to prioritize matters and we're so close to completing the broad outline of the Vixen and I'm gagging to put it on fer a test print.

After some particularly strong tea I was able to pare the final boom/fin/rudder assembly down to an economical set of drawings that can be further adjusted in response to any flaws the printing shows up later:

49933929768_73921eb1f2_b.jpg

Again the station diagram was a great resource in working out how to get from the boom joint (purple ellipse) up to that great curved shoulder defining the top of the fin in the fewest number of steps. As an aside - the width of my boom joint here (which I'm pretty sure is accurate for this scale) at 3.5mm in horizontal diameter is substantially different from the rather fat 5mm that SH have theirs at when I measured the kit.

Turned into a solid boby and mated with the boom:

49934444141_80f45cc115_b.jpg

As mentioned previously, the bumpers, rudders &etc. will get represented in the next detailing pass, the priority here is to block out the main outlines as accurately as possible:

49934748757_01cec23780_b.jpg

49934748792_bf9759f08e_b.jpg

Again, these might look ok in isolation but always necessary to offer up to the main assembly to be convinced.

Topsides:

49933929718_76fa7e6350_b.jpg

-underneath:

49934748782_9185cee1d6_b.jpg

Temporarily mirrored for some perspective views:

49934444111_d590147e43_b.jpg

One absolute godsend that has improved my critical abilities at this stage of checking the aircraft is one of these babies from 3D Connexion:

49934561356_60788ed3dc_c.jpg

That's effectively a mutli-axis controller that let's you smoothly move, rotate or zoom into the aircraft smoothly in any direction you want - the virtual equivalent on screen of being able to hold the aircframe in your hand and move it around in the light as fast or as slow as you want (and in ways impossible to control with a traditional mouse). These 3d mice aren't cheap but I'd been lurking online for several weeks until a refurbished model popped up for a reasonable outlay of gelt.. It's been an indispensible part of the workflow for the last month now and improsved my ability to check for flaws/errors no end (and let's face it, there are a lot them).

That banking-away oblique view of the Vixen you see so frequently in airshow photography that shows off the booms/fins in elongated profile:

49934444101_73c1d26472_b.jpg

And a final render to check the contours for continuity:

49933929738_e0cae97d60_b.jpg

Those funny little half-cone things and the brigdging plank of the elevator to go in between the fins next:

svix60b.jpg

Image credit: Damien Burke

But not today.

Tony

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That's effectively a mutli-axis controller that let's you smoothly move, rotate or zoom into the aircraft smoothly in any direction you want - the virtual equivalent on screen of being able to hold the aircframe in your hand and move it around in the light as fast or as slow as you want

WANT!

p.s. lovely work

• Haha 3

the virtual equivalent on screen of being able to hold the aircframe in your hand and move it around in the light as fast or as slow as you want

But can you make zooooom and whoooosh noises when using it....!!

Did you know that David Byrne was a huge fan of the Fleet Air Arm too?

'Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est?
FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA, FAA,
....'

I got one phrase for you mister: 'Hofmeister lager - follow the bear!'

I'll see you and raise with - Carling Black Label -

Apologies for the off topic silly beer ad refs, but it's a ploy to deflect away from the fact that I still have no clue as to what you're doing!

Keith

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

but it's a ploy to deflect away from the fact that I still have no clue as to what you're doing!

Electronic card and filler. Apparently. That thought consoles me as I drift off to sleep at night.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

WANT

Quite understandable - it's one hell of a step up from dragging the object around with a mouse. 

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

see forensics still have the tent up in the garden. They found anything yet?

Two 13th century burials. Ignore the wristwatch.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But can you make zooooom and whoooosh noises when using it....!!

Dear heart it's positively mandatory!

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Apologies for the off topic silly beer ad refs, but it's a ploy to deflect away from the fact that I still have no clue as to what you're doing!

I keep posting here in the hope a doctor will come on to explain why I'm doing it Keith....

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Electronic card and filler. Apparently. That thought consoles me as I drift off to sleep at night.

I dream in compound curves these days....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

and I'm gagging to put it on fer a test print.

I'm drooling already :tasty:  (in a good way, obvs :) )

This is shaping up so beautiful! :clap:

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

One absolute godsend that has improved my critical abilities at this stage of checking the aircraft is one of these babies from 3D Connexion:

That's an absolute must have for 3D CAD - we have 5 of them at work, albeit of a slightly more elaborate version. Great acquisition, Tony! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lovely work Tony.  You must be nearly 25% of the way there now.  

I tried one of those mice but never could get on with it though a few folk at work have them and claim they're indispensable.  I do so little CAD work these days that I'm just going to potter on in my antiquated ways.

So which bit(s) are you going to print then?  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Does she have a name?

Olivia de Havilland of course!

olivia-de-havilland-653175_960_720.jpg

Who else? :laugh:

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Apparently she's a bit of a vixen....

One of P&P's lesser known corkers if anyone's gagging some classic vixen action:

49938124851_cee208d06a_h.jpg

17 hours ago, giemme said:

This is shaping up so beautiful!

Thanks G. It's such a delectable airframe when you spend time with it -- so much imagination went in to sending two souls hurtling through the sea air.

17 hours ago, giemme said:

That's an absolute must have for 3D CAD - we have 5 of them at work, albeit of a slightly more elaborate version. Great acquisition, Tony!

Glad you approve! :thumbsup2: I had eyed the more elaborate version of course but even my weak morals couldn't justify the outlay. :laugh:

16 hours ago, hendie said:

You must be nearly 25% of the way there now. 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry! :rofl2:

I tried one of those mice but never could get on with it though a few folk at work have them and claim they're indispensable.

The funny thing is that even when I'm not doing any CAD work I'm still reaching out to for it to rotate what's on the screen. Makes no sense in MS Word!

So which bit(s) are you going to print then?  

The lot! We're going ton-up in the next print in order to critique the whole set of outlines. Details below. :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Lovely lovely lovely.  I want one, of course

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Don't we all...???!!!

Looks like I'll need a squadron of printers then! 😆

Ok. No blather today.

Finally got the tailplane done and that means that all the coloured regions  in January's diagram  are now completed:

49460485413_ecb210b00d_c.jpg

A simple enough drrawing job to finish-off on (once I'd established distances and angles with boom):

49938104346_04c6ceb0a7_b.jpg

Lofted into solids and then the boom conoturs carved out of the edges on either side to enable fixing to the uprights:

49938104351_f31425771f_b.jpg

Plan view of the whole shebang:

49938407282_f6494e225f_b.jpg

I'll post the next series of images without comment - a series of perspective views to eyeball apppearances from all angles:

49938104506_c5f9934490_b.jpg49937589678_d9287b8f8e_b.jpg

49938407342_6b85fc1908_b.jpg

49938104436_ee1b3e058c_b.jpg

49938104396_cd03655e41_b.jpg49938407352_08c0ce62b1_b.jpg49937589783_40406b0b07_b.jpg

Not going to be able to put this on to print tonight as I need to hollow out the various airframe sections prior to getting them oriented in Chitubox and all the supports added for printing, which will take a few hours.  After that I'm guessing about 10-11 hrs to print the lot and then a complicated clean and cure session on the resin afterwards.

I've meetings online all tomorrow morning and have to drive down to work after lunch (first time in the building since the lockdown started here on March 13th, which will be strange to say the least) in order to collect a rake of camera gear and lenses so I reckon it'll be Thursday earliest before I can get near to playing with the supports and stuff. All being well then I'll get this on overnight Thurs and hopefully have some positive physical results to share with you some time on Friday.

FAB

ATB til then.

Tony

• Like 14

Friday? Friday! That's (hold on, what day is it…) oh, only a couple of days to wait… patience is a virtue :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5