Space modeller from Worcester

Michael Morris

Hi Britmodellers

Way back in the 1960s and early 1970s this then slightly geeky youth was heavily into everything space and everything Airfix.  As is often the way, football, girls and prog rock got in the way and the model making slowly receded into the mists of time.

Fast forward to 2000 the then 41 year old me has a heart attack out of the blue and I'm laid up for about 3 months. 

Q - What to do whilst lying in bed for weeks at a time? 

A - Models 🙂

Combining my two great childhood obsessions, I started making kits of spacecraft. 

I started off with a Revell model of the Apollo CSM and LM, then immediately got super ambitious and used a Saturn 1B kit as the basis for a model of Skylab.

With a busy family life and returning to work, and other obsessions (amateur astronomy and prog rock) the kit building has been reserved for (thankfully short and infrequent) periods of being off work with more heart problems.

After 9 years clear of heart issues model making had ceased. However,  I'm now off for at least three weeks recovering from a heart procedure and out has come the box of kits, glue and paint  I have a Revell Gemini kit to repair, an Airfix Orion shuttle (from 2001: a Space Odyssey) to complete and an Airfix Shuttle to start.

I'm by no means a highly-skilled or particularly dedicated modeller, but I enjoy making models and that's good enough for me.

spacer.png

Anyway, things have moved on in the last 9 years and the internet had made it such easier to find things out, so watch out,  I'll be asking loads of questions.

Edited by Michael Morris
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard, Michael. Long may your enjoyment of modelling continue.

If you want to post pictures you'll need a third party site. I find imgur.com fairly easy to use.

We have all sorts of experts on here, even past Cardio victims who came out the other side, so ask away, you have some catching up to do on new techniques.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Great to have another "Real Space" modeller on board. I too enjoy building actual spacecraft so look forward to seeing more from you. Your existing collection already looks impressive.