Westland Welkin Mk-1, Scratch, 1/48

Dear modellers,

I somehow have a soft spot for special aircraft. Years ago I read an article in was it Air Enthusiast or Quarterly ? about the development of the Welkin.

Making a model out of plastic, was a bit difficult with all roundings of the  fuselage and enginecowlings. So I decided it was the right moment

some timehonoured woodworking.  

Only the elevators, stabilo and the smaller details are plastic.  And as often later I learned that there was a model kit of Planet in 1/48.  Never mind, I learned a lot tabout woodworking. 

Enjoy the photographs.

With kind greetings,

JohnHaa 

spacer.pngfor

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnHaa said:

Making a model out of plastic, was a bit difficult with all roundings of the  fuselage and enginecowlings. So I decided it was the right moment

some timehonoured woodworking.  

Only the elevators, stabilo and the smaller details are plastic.  

I am very surprised to hear you don't vacform the major components in plastic.  That is the most useful technique for scratchbuilding 'streamlined' aircraft like this.

• Like 1

ThIs is an amazing accomplishment!  It would be a beautiful model even if it were a mainstream plastic kit but the fact that you scratch built it is incredible.  I really wish this aircraft would show up as a 1/48 plastic kit as I have wanted to add this to my other Westlund models.

Dear modellers,

I 'm very pleased with all your comments, thank you !

For Roger, you are right, vacuforming is a better way to build a model like this one. Only in those times I did not have the skills.  To be honest I am still working  to improve  it.  I build a vacuform box it workes fine, only  problem to solve is the correct heating of plastic sheet. 

But I am learning ! 😁

John

• Like 1