Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G-6 Mtt Regensburg.

This is where I am at the moment. 

Decaling turned into a bit of a nightmare. For some reason as soon as they touched the surface the things stuck solid and that was using Micro Set. Among other theories I think the Micro Set reacted with the possibly not quite dry gloss coat, maybe the warm and humid weather contributed. 

However after a couple of days to allow the gloss to properly dry, if that's what the problem was, I had another go. This time I gave the Micro Set a miss and used tap water. This time without a problem.

I still need to apply the stencil decals but that will have to wait till we return from our two weeks away on holiday. Actually that reminds me of my next dilemma, do I use black or red stencils where there is a choice?   

IMG_7293

IMG_7294

IMG_7297

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

For some reason as soon as they touched the surface the things stuck solid

I experienced the same issue twice. That's why I don't buy Eduard kits unless they come with Cartograf decals, those don't stick solidly as soon as you put them in the surface.

3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I experienced the same issue twice. That's why I don't buy Eduard kits unless they come with Cartograf decals, those don't stick solidly as soon as you put them in the surface.

Someone suggested it could be the decals themselves at my club on Friday evening so it could be that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've come back from two weeks away on holiday and the intention was to get at least some more decals on before going back to work next week but I'm completely sapped of all enthusiasm.

I've also got some figures on the bench and can't be bothered with those either. I thought by perhaps posting my woes here it might actually spur me on (shame me) into actually doing something, so far staring hasn't helped.

Roger.

Back up and running. An injection of enthusiasm was initiated by receiving Xtradecal sheet X48165 to replace crosses on the wing uppers that I wrecked. I've also added some stencils a couple of which have shrivelled up, torn etc. but I'm not overly worried about those, in fact I'm not even going to attempt putting them all on. After all this is an aircraft that has been touched up and the original codes painted out.

It's back to work on Tuesday so I don't think I'm going to get much further this leave.

IMG_7408

IMG_7406

IMG_7404

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I tend to leave a lot of the stencils off my 109 builds, As you say they were quite often touched up at Unit level so that's my excuse. Looking good Roger.

Duncan B

Thanks very much Duncan.

I'm sure Luftwaffe ground crew with a spray gun were just like sailors with paint brushes when it comes to painting over stencils. 😀

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christer A said:

That's one very nice looking 109 Roger!

Thanks very much Christer. It will be packed away today until I come home in four weeks. It shouldn't take much to finish on my return. 

Because we are flying to Shetland to join the ship this time I'll have limited space to take my modelling stuff back, I have a plan though, details later today after a visit to Veteranus Models in Ripon this morning. 🙂😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...