Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G-6 Mtt Regensburg.

Bought from Duncan at the North Shields show this was to be the project for this trip at sea, however that didn't go as planned and I've now found myself on leave again after a short 10 day trip. The kit is fairly well traveled as it's been to Aberdeen and back on the train, hence the slightly distressed box.

I'll be building it straight from the box I do have the appropriate canopy masks though. I haven't decided on which of the two schemes I'm doing yet but I'm leaning towards the one with the easier painted spinner. :D

IMG_7210

• Like 4

A good steady pace build. That box doesn’t bring me good memories, since I dropped the almost 

painted model to the floor. Broke elevators and UC legs, so it ended for Perhaps your WIP can be therapeutic to overcome the trauma 🙂

4 minutes ago, Holzhamer said:

A good steady pace build. That box doesn’t bring me good memories, since I dropped the almost 

painted model to the floor. Broke elevators and UC legs, so it ended for Perhaps your WIP can be therapeutic to overcome the trauma 🙂

Ouch! I hope this helps just a little bit to get over that kind of trauma. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Nice progress, it looks like you might have caught the 109 bug :)

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan. You might be right. The 1/72 one above is an AZ Models kit and I also have a 1/72 Tamiya in the wings..... then there's the 190's. 😆

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks Duncan. You might be right. The 1/72 one above is an AZ Models kit and I also have a 1/72 Tamiya in the wings..... then there's the 190's. 😆

I have a few of the AZ kits and am actually building one at the moment even though I am not particularly keen on them. The Tamiya 109 Emils are very nice (if a little short) and the new Gustav is supposed to be excellent. I got into Luftwaffe stuff because it gave me lots of options for trying out great paint schemes.

DB

1 minute ago, Duncan B said:

I got into Luftwaffe stuff because it gave me lots of options for trying out great paint schemes.

That's exactly the same reason I've headed down the Luftwaffe route Duncan. Above all else I needed to see if I could do a mottle camo scheme.

Just stopped for a beer break and then back at it, should have some photos later this evening. 👍🏼

Roger. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

That's exactly the same reason I've headed down the Luftwaffe route Duncan. Above all else I needed to see if I could do a mottle camo scheme.

Just stopped for a beer break and then back at it, should have some photos later this evening. 👍🏼

Roger. 

Mottling is one of these things that has a lot of hype about it. It all comes down to getting the paint/thinners mix to a consistency that it will spray without spitting 'spider's webs' everywhere but will still cover. Most people state that thin paint and lowering the air pressure is the way to go while I find that I actually turn the pressure up a bit! I keep in close and keep the airbrush moving and above all I keep in mind that I can always go back over the mottling with a thin coat of the base cover if I over do things or get runs.

DB

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Mottling is one of these things that has a lot of hype about it. It all comes down to getting the paint/thinners mix to a consistency that it will spray without spitting 'spider's webs' everywhere but will still cover. Most people state that thin paint and lowering the air pressure is the way to go while I find that I actually turn the pressure up a bit! I keep in close and keep the airbrush moving and above all I keep in mind that I can always go back over the mottling with a thin coat of the base cover if I over do things or get runs.

DB

I have found that to be exactly true for me. I used to fret about mottling a lot but after figuring it out it's a lot easier.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2

Looks good to me so far. Another trick I learned on mottling is that when I'm done with the paint  scheme and decals is to come back over it with a flat coat with one or two drops of gray mixed in with the flat clear. It helps to tone down the mottle work some and make it a little more subtle. It gives it a good fading effect on the upper surfaces as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

looking good.

DB

Cheers Duncan.

20 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Looks good to me so far. Another trick I learned on mottling is that when I'm done with the paint  scheme and decals is to come back over it with a flat coat with one or two drops of gray mixed in with the flat clear. It helps to tone down the mottle work some and make it a little more subtle. It gives it a good fading effect on the upper surfaces as well.

Thanks and thanks for the tip, duly noted.

4 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

Curious as to Why you've left the air filter(?) housing off? 

I'd have added it just to get the thing blended in when ABing

Tom

There's a reason for that. the version I'm doing has a tropical filter and the mesh is represented by a decal. The plan is to apply the decal before attaching the filter to the aircraft so as not to risk messing it up with paint. Admittedly I maybe could have applied the decal in situ but I'm trying to avoid any "I knew that would happen" moments.