Aero commander 680, Comet 1/81 scale conversion completed

Here are the very elegant lines of the Aero Commander enhanced by the brightness of the Questor Surveys livery.

The WiP describes the many modifications (among them an interior and landing gear) made to this odd-scale kit to bring what it was to start a very decent and actually remarkable standard for its time to a more contemporary level of detail.

The kit, that was gifted to me (Thanks Liz and Jeff!) was missing and engine fascia, which was scratched, as well as several external details particular to this version.

The Arctic Decals set was a tremendous help for this project.

There is a 1/72 kit of this plane, and decals will be available for it too.

In spite of the weight installed in the nose, the model tends to sit on its tail, so I propped it for the photos, but in display a small piece of blue-tack under the nose wheel will do.

More involving that I thought, and therefore a bit lengthy, the final product is the reward.

Here some preliminary images, may be tomorrow I can do another session, it's too windy now.

IMG_4370+%25281280x942%2529.jpg

IMG_4371+%25281280x953%2529.jpg

IMG_4372+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4373+%25281280x963%2529.jpg

IMG_4374+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4376+%25281280x976%2529.jpg

IMG_4378+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4379+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 23

That's beautiful, Moa. I thoroughly enjoyed your build - and did not envy you some of the work required - and the end result looks fantastic. Well done, and thank you for sharing this build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding work , well done indeed.

Amazing what can be achieved from such much older kits , saw a 1/70'ish FROG DH Rapide at the Scottish Nationals a couple of months ago which like your Commander here looked quite stunning.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Nice one, also considering the basekit...

Given its age, there's nothing wrong with that kit (like many of us "baby boomers"🤣). It's simply from the "fit the box" modeling era when kits were cheap. It lacks detail and is not to a commonly recognized scale (although it is close to HO scale-1/87), but it is absolutely accurate in terms of outline and proportions. And as the modeling artist known as "Moa" has shown us, it can be built into a delightful model.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

Superb result Moa - a lovely looking aeroplane it was too! Goes to show what can be done with old kits.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks, Malcolm.

Now that I learned how to do it right (only after doing it ), I wish I could do it again.

If there is a supreme entity that happens to like to model, reincarnation is assured. We only realize our mistakes after.

You Only Build Twice

(Was he called "Bond" because he united parts together? I dare to think which ones)

Absolutely stunning work Moa. It may not be from early aviation or the Golden Age, but it's from the post war renaissance which produced many good looking planes, and the ancestors of most general aviation models we still see today. Kudos to Arctic Decals as well for accommodating the odd scale.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

That is , considering what you started with, an excellent end result and looks sparkling in the sunshine, although the first set of pics make it look as though you have nailed it to the bathroom wall but all becomes clear in the second set.

It was an enjoyable build to follow Moa on an odd scaled kit with some strange construction detail but you tamed it well.

• Thanks 1