Airfix Phantom HMS Ark Royal

stevej60

Evening folks,My entry for this GB is Airfix's recent 1/72 offering,the box top is the proposed scheme if things work out and time permits I'll probably build

Academy's F4-J Showtime 100.

a06016_mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-fg1_3d-box

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folk's here's where I am after a couple of sessions,bit over engineered at first glance on the sprue but can't fault the fit of parts.Decals used for the

cockpit instruments just the padded portion of the seats to add which are painted.and detailed.

20190728_212659

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

That's looking very nice Steve and, as you say, plenty of engineering there.

I've had this kit well over a year Cliff and it's been in and out of the box a dozen times to be started but I didn't fancy what looked like an

over-complicated build,once started it all makes perfect sense why Airfix approached it this way and the cockpit painting/decalling took

longer than construction to this point I have Academy's multi coloured molding which takes a totally different approach with its one

piece solid fuselage.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Morning folk's,I'm now getting worried that these two may miss the deadline,to be honest I had ten days off a couple of weeks ago 

and never got the time I'd hoped for at the bench which has left me a bit behind hopefully a worst case would be both finished minus

their ordinance but we'll see.

20190911_110959

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Your photos and those from @JB65rams show that Airfix have got the shape of the tailfin decal better than Xtracdecal.  On mine the decal is too deep - the red goes down to the bottom of the fin, whereas there should be a grey margin at the bottom. Obviously, due to the white Omega kite, this cannot be trimmed.

However, perhaps Airfix have got their instructions wrong - you both have the ILS fins fitted on your models but my sources state that these were only found on RAF variants.

Whatever, I'm liking the look of both models.

Mike

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Yes, I also read in a build review that the ILS aerials should not be fitted to the RN version

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

only found on RAF variants.

Thanks Mike and Pete,two tailplanes are in the kit the one fitted and the earlier rounded tipped style,it could be that the instructions tell 

to remove the aerials and I missed it should be an easy fix.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Hi Steve,

As I understand it late RN Phantoms did have the blade type EWS system aerial fitted to the top of the fin, as did the RAF ones, but the RN ones did not have the two horizontal "plate" type ILS aeriarls fitted lower down. May be wrong. Must dig out the instructions from  one of my "new" Airfix kits to check.

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterB said:

Hi Steve,

As I understand it late RN Phantoms did have the blade type EWS system aerial fitted to the top of the fin, as did the RAF ones, but the RN ones did not have the two horizontal "plate" type ILS aeriarls fitted lower down. May be wrong. Must dig out the instructions from  one of my "new" Airfix kits to check.

Pete

Hi Pete,just looked at the instructions Airfix missed out any reference to removing them for the RN version,as I said an easy fix.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 18:00, DaveyGair said:

Be good to see this in the Gallery, along with the other one. Nice finish, you gonna go for a weathered look?

Davey.

Ran a wash into the panel's Davey,Airfix were spot on with the depth so it does look good.

• Like 1