F-277 Boeing B-47E Strato-Jet (Hasegawa) ++++ Finished ++++

Paul821

Hi Paul.

This is coming along a treat.  Remember well these aircraft and their big-brother, the B36, operating out of RAF Burtonwood in the late 50s, a fantastic sight and sound.  There are some good pictures of the B47 on the Air Britain web site, although there are very few variations in markings.  Best of luck with the build, much too large for me.   Robin.  

23 hours ago, Jinxman said:

wow, that's a big aeroplane.

DSC03820

I think I might need a bigger workbench - to misquote a certain film

Bearing in mind the B-47 is the largest kit I have built, although the Vulcan has more plastic

• Like 6

Thanks!! I’ve just spilled my coffee after seeing that! My god that’s a big model on top of an even bigger beastly model. With a bit of ingenuity, that B-36 could double as a coffee table, which would help clumsy folk like me retain some of their morning beverages! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 8:38 AM, JOCKNEY said:

looking forward to the next instalment

This one is progressing slowing, but will be over the finish line before the end of the GB.

How it looks this morning

DSC03871

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, JOCKNEY said:

It was looking like it was virtually finished when we last heard from you.

Externally it looked OK but the weird order of construction meant the undercart bays and bomb-bay went in at the end! This has now been done and it now sits on it's own four feet.

DSC03920

plan is tomorrow to attach last few parts, check out the painting. Decals applied Monday?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks really great Paul. That must be one of the best looking planes ever built! Very nice.

I couldn’t agree more! Still can’t believe that in 1/72 scale, this is still the only kit in town. I’ve been tempted many times to get one and seeing this on its wheels is tempting me even more. Looking really good Paul, you’re doing a grand job. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 9:57 PM, Johnson said:

That must be one of the best looking planes ever built!

I agree and it is one of my regrets that their stay in East Anglia ended before I was in a position to see one, It is a pity than none were preserved in the UK (or Europe).

Anyway progress continues on the build

DSC03857

Paint has been touched up so just decals and into the gallery for this one.

• Like 7

I may have seen one in flight passing over my house on its way to an airshow at what is now Leeds/Bradford Airport, but just a dark shape against low cloud. The thing I remember most about them is film showing the clouds of smoke they threw out when starting - just like other early jets. It is a good looking kit, but I have always thought it a pity the Hasegawa one I build OOB did not have more striking decals/colourscheme. Then again it is a bomber so would have been less gaudy than the fighters in that NMF period. At least the SAC band does liven it up a bit.

Looking good.

Pete

Now in the Gallery. I think the decals were the longest I have ever had to apply to a kit. Considering that they were getting on for 40 years old it was not surprising that they were slightly reluctant to leave the backing paper. A couple of them split but hopefully it is not too noticeable in the final outcome.

Although this build thread started nearly four months ago the actual build was the simples of all my entires in ths GB. So it's just the Mossie to go now. 

• Like 4