F-277 Boeing B-47E Strato-Jet (Hasegawa) ++++ Finished ++++

Paul821

As knitting (aka rigging) is still taking place my two current builds, this 

DSC03766

has been siting in my stash for over 40 years and calling out to be built.

So here are the sprue shots

DSC03767

DSC03768

Seems a simple build, I just need to invest in some rattle cans and possibly new decals as I fancy a Lakenheath based aircraft.

• Like 8

I was hoping one of these big jets would make an appearance Paul, so thanks for adding it here. The B-47 has always been one of my favourite 'aircraft that I don't have' type of subjects and something tells me that these moulds will still be around in another 40 years from now. We wish you the best of luck. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I always remember this kit due to its enormous box, but I've never seen a built one, delighted that this will soon be remedied !

Look forward to the next instalment 

cheers Pat

Looking forward to this one, I picked up the latest boxing recently (after I off loaded an older one last year).

:popcorn:

I have a Pavla cockpit to go in mine and plenty of Wolfpak decal options to use on it when I get around to it.

• Like 1

Following @adey m ' s build I did a dry run assembly as he pointed out the under cart boxes and the bomb-bay are installed after the fuselage is glued together, I didn't have any fit problems so will construct the model in he order of he instructions.

DSC03768

I also wanted to see how much of the cockpit would be visible after building as I don't usually bother detailing areas that cannot be seen

DSC03769

Most of the enhancement will be through paint rather than 3rd party add ons or scratch building.

• Like 8

It is a nice model, though mine is a bit plain in appearance as I am not good at "silver" finishes. I did consider getting some more colourful decals but in the end stuck with those in the box. I will look forward to seeing how you paint it - got to be better than my effort! Not certain if I ever saw one in "real life", though I do recall a string of USAF planes passing over my house back in the late 1950's/early 60's when they were attending an airshow at the local airport - Yeadon as it was then, now Leeds/Bradford. It was a gloomy overcast day so all I saw were dark silhouettes, but I think there may have been an F100 and an F101, and possibly a B47, but that could just be my memory playing tricks.

Edited by PeterB

The Hasegawa kit sat in my local model shop for years when I was a teenager. 

Brings back some nice memories but I don't think I've seen one built up either 

John 

On 7/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, PeterB said:

It is a nice model, though mine is a bit plain in appearance as I am not good at "silver" finishes.

Heres a great option for anyone that isn't happy with NMF on builds. 

yPSXigh.jpg

iQfELfy.jpg

The photo's are from Pinterest and had no captions. However I'm sure some digging will help determine the planes history. 

Dennis

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

But best make your own mind up what colour it is 

Funnily enough, if I was to play the B&W photo interpretation game (without the aid of the colour photo), I doubt I would have picked orange. Yellow, however would have been a big possibility! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

Funnily enough, if I was to play the B&W photo interpretation game (without the aid of the colour photo), I doubt I would have picked orange. Yellow, however would have been a big possibility! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Play nicely now ! :bleh:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in a few days I was able to return to my workbench, and now three of my builds are close to completion the B-47 is hogging rather too much space, therefore I thought I'd tackle that this evening,

Nearly all of the build consists is a number of sub-assemblies and I fairly quickly cleared most of the first stages:

DSC03787

One interesting feature is the lack of locating pins on nearly all of the parts.

DSC03785

But this did not prove to be much of an issue.

The majority of the sub-assemblies is the bomb-load, but I am not included these in my build as they are being donated to another GB.that is in progress.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

In my Moth pair build thread I said that the Novo Gypsy Moth was the worst kit I had encountered. The B-47 is a delight, despite the lack of locating pins it just falls together, I have been away from this particular build for a while but two evenings work means I have reached this stage:

DSC03799

The Moth is there are a size comparison note to oneself must look at that prop' when I go back to the workbench!

On Friday will be visiting town with my LMS so will probably get some Humbrol rattle cans for the silver and white.

• Like 11

See - who says size doesn't matter? Two evenings worth of work is a small outlay to get that far on the B-47. That's my kinda building. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

As I recall the wheel arrangement means that unlike the B52 with a similar set up, the B47 does not need nose weight - could be wrong?

39 minutes ago, PeterB said:

As I recall the wheel arrangement means that unlike the B52 with a similar set up, the B47 does not need nose weight - could be wrong?

The main undercarriage on the B-47 is so far aft it would almost be impossible to get it to tail sit, unless you filled the back end with something denser than lead.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

unless you filled the back end with something denser than lead.

Hope you are not setting me a challenge there. Have you seen the price of Gold and Platinum these days? Mercury would be interesting although lethal as are some of the other denser elements..

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is not some little known camo' scheme

DSC03815

rather I am using Halfords Filler Primer, which I have found in the past gives good results. As you can see some minor filling, all the fuselage filling probably could have been avoided with a bit more attention, and tape, at the gluing stage.

At end of day today the sanding is complete. Before I apply paint I want to work out whether silver over white or the other way round gives the best result. Both will be rattle  cans. 

• Like 11

On 8/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, Paul821 said:

Before I apply paint I want to work out whether silver over white or the other way round gives the best result

Great progress on this biggie Paul. Now I would have thought that silver over white would tend to give a grey-ash result. Silver over gloss black however does certainly bring out the sheen in the metallic silver paint. Might be best to test these combinations on a scrap model first. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Spent part of this evening applying masking tape. The fuselage on this one is the longest length of tape I have applied outside of  1:1 modelling aka house decorating and car painting. Following the hint someone else posted on BM I them painted over the edges of the tape to avoid leakage. I cannot recall who gave the tip (not in this build0 - but appreciated. Tomorrow brush painting silver. Have mentioned the length of tape - I have entered a RB-36 in the "Year I was born GB!

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing the pics, and as for the RB-36 - wow, that's a big aeroplane.

Must crack out Strategic Air Command with James Stewart to get me in the mood - a very good film.

• Like 3