MIG Filters - A simple question - hopefully...

BIG X

I have combed the internet for a couple of days and can't find an answer...

When applying MIG FILTERS to acrylics - to 'unify' the colours - do I varnish first - or apply to the raw acrylic...

Help - Please

Thanks in advance - Steve

MIG filters are enamels. 

To avoid messing up your paintwork, lay down a coat of satin or matt varnish.

Gloss varnish won´t be so good; you need some surface texture on to where the filter can stick.

• Like 1

I know they are enamels - I can smell them - lovely :lol: too...

@Marco - do you use them yourself - I like the idea of 'texture' for the filter to grip to - it makes a lot of sense.

The info on the internet is woefully poor - considering how much Mig spend on promoting their products.

Thanks for the answer.

Mig Filters should gone on a Matt surface so that it soaks into the paint, you don’t need to varnish otherwise it becomes a wash rather than a filter. 

Ive never varnished just used it on a Matt finished surface as long as you use acrylic paints. 

HTH

Dan 

16 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Mig Filters should gone on a Matt surface so that it soaks into the paint, you don’t need to varnish otherwise it becomes a wash rather than a filter. 

Ive never varnished just used it on a Matt finished surface as long as you use acrylic paints. 

HTH

Dan 

So can they go on a matt paint - or do they need the matt varnish...

11 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

BTW: Are these filters anything but very thinned paint? Or is there a specific formula?

Yes they are pre-prepared very thinned down paints.... 

10 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Just thinned enamel paint, you can make your own, just add a good quality mineral spirit.

yes you can make your own I believe - but I've go these - so want to know how to use them.

Thanks for the input guys - Steve

I'm guessing I should really experiment on the underside of my tank - where any mistakes won't show - too much...

Who uses these 'branded' products regularly - go on - let us in your secrets...

25 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I use them regularly and they do work, spray top coat> dry and put it on, you don’t need a varnish on before you use it. 

OK - no varnish - right...  just straight onto the acrylic....

17 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Can you please define the difference.  Otherwise I really do not understand the advantage of these products.

A filter blends in two or more different colours and makes the transition from one to another smoother but it can be used on one colour to slightly alter the hue. Oils are good for this Eg oil dot filtering.

A wash is where you don’t want to change or blend colours but you want to add shadow in and around detail that is proud, eg a pin wash or a panel line wash.

20 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

But if both are just thinned paint, as described above, you are describing different effects from the same action with the same product.

Not really, a wash is not so thinned as a filter and is meant to go over a satin or gloss finish 

Well, I was rather hoping for a more convincing response to banish my prejudices.  Sorry, but a thinned wash is just that.  I've not previously seen any suggestion that they can't be applied to Matt finishes.  However, giving it a new name does allow a marketing opportunity which has clearly proved profitable.

2 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Well, I was rather hoping for a more convincing response to banish my prejudices.  Sorry, but a thinned wash is just that.  I've not previously seen any suggestion that they can't be applied to Matt finishes.  However, giving it a new name does allow a marketing opportunity which has clearly proved profitable.

You crack on then Graham, if that's what you think then that's what you think, It makes no difference to me at all.  I use both, I make my own oil based washes and I use Mig filters, I'm content and 

I was merely trying to explain how I apply them and on what surface finishes to the OP.