P-51 Mustang, “Old Crow” flown by Major Bud Anderson

This is my latest project, the magnificent Mustang “old crow”...

I enjoyed this build from start till end, was a pleasure making it!  Kit was a Hasegawa 1/48...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This P-51 was flown by Major Bud Anderson, a triple ace, he was the highest scoring ace in the P-51 squadrons.

spacer.png

He flew with the 363FS, 357FG based at RAF Leiston

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

ringo 

Edited by ringo
  • Like 21

Fantastic work.  I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Anderson at the EAA fly in a few years back.  He is a fantastic man who like many of his generation is extremely humble and doesn't feel like he did anything great.  He always says that the hero's were the ones who didn't come back.

• Like 1

Great job on the build, Ringo, and the weathering is especially well done.  A nice tribute to "Bud" Anderson, as Londo said an extremely nice, humble man.  I've had the honor of meeting him several times over the years, most recently earlier this month at an event at the Aerospace Museum of California in Sacramento, CA.  At 97, he doesn't get around quite as well as he used to but his mind is still as sharp as a tack.  Here he is talking about one of his exploits, using his hands as only a fighter pilot can!

1DQuNDD.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark, what a great honor to meet Bud Anderson!  He sounds like a great person and I've heard from others who've met him that he was so humble and kind.   Not the sort of things that I've heard about Chuck Yeager, unfortunately.   It seems he was not that way at all.   "The Right Stuff" doesn't always come with regards and humility.  😀

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your comment and specially to Mark who - with his post - makes this thread more personal...  These guys are real heros and i think we can't imagine how it really must have been to be a fighter pilot in the second world war...  These posts are one of the reasons i love building models so much, while i am making my models these guys keep "flying" in my head 😘....

Love this forum! 

Edited by ringo