Bandai perfect grade Gp01

been working on this off and on fir a while but theres a lot to it as this kit is almost 2 Gundams in 1 as it as parts for both the ground and space type and you can swap between the 2.

at the moment i'm just working on the ground version but heres where i am

i'm painting the inner frame on this and arms are done

33186028148_bebb3dd09f_b.jpgPg Gp01 Gundam wip by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

as are the legs but sadly most of this will be covered up by armour (but i know its there)

46024546925_4bc8a760e8_b.jpgUntitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

going for a bit of wear and tear on this one so some scrapes etc will be added to the armour

47126994921_f5bde6154b_b.jpgPg Gp01 Gundam wip by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

leg armour done and on 

32234134547_b8eb2dfa9f_b.jpgPg Gp01 wip by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

32234134557_4cddebf539_b.jpgPg Gp01 wip by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

trying hard to keep the weathering in scale

47175883711_5de482f7ac_b.jpgPg Gp01 wip by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

superb paintwork. Fitting, and - surprising with this kind of kit - very believable. Most weathered Mechs I see are simply weathered like a car or tank with paint chipping off and rust and all that. But as you say - it needs to be to scale to work its full effect. I think you really did achieve this

17 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

superb paintwork. Fitting, and - surprising with this kind of kit - very believable. Most weathered Mechs I see are simply weathered like a car or tank with paint chipping off and rust and all that. But as you say - it needs to be to scale to work its full effect. I think you really did achieve this

Thank you, 

i wanted to try and give it a sense of use and wear but not make it look too battered. In hand the effect is quite subtle when viewed from a couple of feet away but it does show enough to catch the eye

13 hours ago, Gemini 8 said:

I am no Gundam Fan but I love this work. How have you achieved those stunning tiny scratches?

I used a course sanding stick to make fine scratches on the surface of the paint and then a very dark grey that i kind of dry brushed on  with a really stiff and worn brush, the scratches pick up the  paint and make the effect.

It doesn't show well in the pictures but the finish of the white paint is quite glossy and this helps to sell the look

Pete

feet got some decals added from my stash of spares and then a couple of coats of clear lacquer

48080759713_00b9dd2519_b.jpg20190617_174717 by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

the smaller feet were done the same way but the lower areas were matt varnished to kill the shine and then weathered

48080756978_9bb275765a_b.jpg20190617_174444 by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

48080828207_69b1b4f081_b.jpg20190617_174454 by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

• Like 9

This is really stunning, your best PG yet I reckon. Although I do really like Stardust Memory which might colour my opinion :)

Will

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 28 June 2019 at 12:37 PM, Alan R said:

Just how big is this brute?

I think it will finish up at just over a foot tall once it's all together

Pete

On 28 June 2019 at 12:39 PM, Mike said:

Superb paint effects :clap2:

Thank you Mike 👍

Pete

• Like 1

On 3 July 2019 at 11:46 PM, Will Vale said:

This is really stunning, your best PG yet I reckon. Although I do really like Stardust Memory which might colour my opinion :)

Will

Cheers Will, 

its coming along nicely and I hope when it's finished it looks better than the previous one ( that came out ok but was a bit too clean I think ) 

ive also recently got a PG Astray red frame that I have an interesting idea for, but probably won't be getting around to that until next year

Pete

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, adphill said:

I've never built Gundams but I just wanted to say the weathering is phenomenal, the scratches in particular. I saved a few of the pics to use as references. Great work, 

Thank you, I'm still very new to these kits  but they are a lot of fun to do and very well engineered

Pete

On 7/28/2019 at 5:08 AM, teddylindsey said:

Your weathering technique with the sanding stick is spectacular! It really sells the impression that these are big pieces of heavy machinery.

I wasn't sure how it would turn out but it was the only thing I could think of that would give the tiny scratches I was after and it came out pretty good I think

Pete

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

your weathering is first rate, did you use reference photos to get them to look so realistic?

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thank you kindly John,

I didn't use any references for it so it's mainly artistic licence and born out of me trying to keep it in scale more than anything else

Pete

• Like 1

it's been a while since I posted any progress ( and since our worked on this TBH ) but I have made some so here it is

the big feet have connectors that plug into the smaller ones and as it's likely that I'll end up displaying this with the smaller feet and have these somewhere in a maintenance diorama, I decided to detail paint them a little 

coat of yellow

47931694997_4d9ca33752_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

masked some lines, sprayed black and brush painted the rest with Vallejo modelair aluminium

bzzzz  it's all a bit waspie 

47931695037_28738c10bb_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

47943325768_b49211fe34_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

• Like 1

and fitted I'm immediately thrown back to childhood visits to the circus

clown feet, but as part of the conversion are larger and wider lower leg armour pieces ( haven't started those yet)

48153861356_9e21a3b401_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

arm armour painted

48154048252_6ca4a89c2a_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

some bits were maskers masked and sprayed in the same grey I used on the legs ( consistency innit )

48154048122_9884e70a1a_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

decals added and these are a mix of 3rd party Chinese waterslide copies  of the kit markings ( kit comes with stickers, bad bad Bandai ) and an eclectic mix of whatever  I thought looked right from my stash of leftover decals from projects over the years

48153961122_e1c27a3247_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

fitted and it looks ok, but far too clean and not manky enough compared to the hand which got painted yonks ago

48153961137_0416176578_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

I did exactly the same thing as on the legs, out with the sanding stick to expose the black preshade on the edges and add scuffs and scratches then a bit of dark grey lightly over and this gets picked up by the scratches ( note the gloss finish as this really seems to help the effect ) the last stage but was some AK enamel wash and I used their wash for desert camo

48153961012_689a05ebd7_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

again trying hard not to over cook it and it looks not too bad to me

48153961152_6b31e34ee3_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

48153877931_3e1dcb5b4f_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

a neat little trick Is the ability to slide the latches and open the armour to expose the inner frame

48153961127_1de2eb2154_b.jpgUntitled by brundledonk, on Flickr

• Like 3