1/48 Focke-Wulf 190A-9 - Otaki kit updated

This is Otaki's 1/48 FW-190A-8 that I originally started as just a 'paint mule' to try out  a paint mix.  One thing lead to another and, well, here you are.

I added details to the cockpit, belts from aluminum tape and solder, and a scratch built gunsight.  Bulged canopy is a spare from Hobbyboss, with scratchbuilt headrest and bulkheads.

For the gear, I added a strip to the landing gear doors to widen them, shortened the legs and added brakelines, spare wheels from and Eduard kit,  cut out the make believe gear well and added a spare 'dimpled' panel from Eduard's, and scratch built the rest of the well.  Tailwheel is an Eduard's spare.

Outboard lower canon breaches are spare bombs with plasticard shell chutes, and canon's are brass tube.  Drop tank and mount are also Eduard's spares.

Decals are spare Hobbyboss, old letraset applied to clear decal paper (to get close to the proper style, I had to use the top half of a '2' and the bottom half of a capitol 'L'), and the werke numbers are actually decal sheet item numbers made into decals by painting them with Microscale liquid decal film.

Paints are Tamiya acrylics  RLM 74 is XF 24:3, XF 27:1, and the RLM 75 is XF 75:8, XF 07:1 - the whole reason for the build!  Applied over Tamiya Titanium silver and haispray, and then chipped with water and a toothpick.

Hope you like.

Image5

Image2 Image15

Image13 Image9

Image22

Image25

Image29

Just for comparison, here's Eduard's FW-190A-5, and the Otaki kit from the 1970's ...

Image19

… and the 'Wulf' pack!

Wolfe-pack

Edited by Tail-Dragon
PHOTO ADDED
  • Like 28

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to 1/48 Focke-Wulf 190A-9 - Otaki kit updated

One of the best 190 i've seen, plus the fact of being a vintage kit brought up to today standards proves the hand of a true great modeler. Very ingenius solutions... The letraset blew my mind, the 22 is outstanding.

Cheers!