Framed Airfix 1/72 Sea King ( ancient dockyard rivet kit )

This is the second framed Sea King I've built. The first was made for a friend who wanted it for a gift for a Sea King pilot. He liked it so much, he asked for a second one for himself! The kit was made with two M3 nuts built into the starboard side. Brass tube spacers hold the model off the backboard while M3 studding hold it in place. The background is a 12x8 photo print with the graphics done on my laptop. The starboard side sponson is fitted directly to the fuselage, omitting the small wing, in order to reduce the overall depth of the model and frame. The rotor head was modified to allow the rotor blades to be stowed.

seaking_2019_001.jpg

seaking_2019_002.jpg

seaking_2019_003.jpg

seaking_2019_004.jpg

• Like 26

I don't have any pictures uploaded of the Sea King mounting, but here's one of a 1/144 scale Lancaster during the build. M3 nuts are built into the structure to fix the model into the frame.

bbmf015.jpg

The baseboard/background is drilled to match the nut/studding positions.

bbmf120.jpg

A box frame is made of a depth to suit the model size. I buy the frame and glass, but make the box myself.

norseman_57.jpg

While the model is bolted to the back of the frame, I use brass tube spacers to support the model at the desired height off the base. This allows the bolts to be tightened without crushing the landing gear against the backboard.

norseman_58.jpg

After tightening the nuts on the studding, a spot of glue holds them in place.

bbmf130.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nice job !

I remember years ago when I was training at Halton, there was a chap at the open day selling literally 'half' models framed - just the Port or Stbd fuselage, mounted up, wings cropped etc - could get two for one with a jet that way !

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 2

On 27/06/2019 at 08:04, JagRigger said:

Nice job !

I remember years ago when I was training at Halton, there was a chap at the open day selling literally 'half' models framed - just the Port or Stbd fuselage, mounted up, wings cropped etc - could get two for one with a jet that way !

I remember seeing those. If it was the same guy they were on sale at various airshows I went to. Quite liked the idea for my self but space would be a problem for me.....