1/32 RAF WW2 Pilots.

Here is my attempt at painting the figures from Tamiya's Spitfire Mk IX kit along with a couple from Ultracast: #54009 "RAF Fighter Pilot, Battle of Britain 1940" and #54011 "RAF Fighter Pilot Mid-late War 1943-1945". Both of the Ultracast figures were beautifully cast and Mike Good's sculpting was wonderful and full of crisp, accurate detail. I highly recommend them to accompany your 1/32 aircraft.

I will eventually put the Battle of Britain pilot and the Special Hobby Airacobra onto a base. Goodness knows when I will get around to building the Spitfire - but at least I'll have some figures ready for it.

Thank you for looking - and any comments would be much appreciated!

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Clogged said:

Great work, lovely looking figures.

Is the first pilot gritting his teeth with fear?!

😁 Well, the Airacobra wasn't much loved....

"Don't give me a P-39, cos I value this life of mine,

It will spin, it will roll, it will dig a big hole,

So don't give me a P-39" !

I did hesitate before posting photos bigger than the true size of the figure as it does show up the shortcomings!

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 1

Hi, Pat. 

All three figures look like the "dog's danglies" to me. You've made a great job of them. The 'Cobra also looks great. They're a real tribute to your building and painting skills.

Cheers for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Pat. 

All three figures look like the "dog's danglies" to me. You've made a great job of them. The 'Cobra also looks great. They're a real tribute to your building and painting skills.

Cheers for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

Hi Chris,

Very many thanks for your kind comments - they are much appreciated !

Cheers,

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hi Clive,

Sorry for not replying sooner - I hadn't spotted your comment until just now.

The resin figures have greater detail and crisper edges that make guiding the paint brush easier. Everything you want to highlight and shadow can be (relatively) easily picked out. The injection moulded figures need more brush control in comparison.

It helped me in painting the injection moulded figures by having the resin ones alongside. I could paint in details that were absent from them using the resin ones as a guide.

I would recommend to anyone starting out on figure painting to try a well sculpted and cast resin one. It can be a lot more difficult to get a good result from an injection moulded one (in general - there are bound to be exceptions to the rule!).

Pat

• Thanks 1