1/144 AIRBUS A35K (A359 conversion) Virgin G-VLUX

A350-1000 Virgin Atlantic G-VLUX

Scale: 1/144

Model: Revell A350-900 

Decals: 26decals and authentic airliners 

This is my attempt at converting revells a359 kit to a a35K stretch. Fuselage extensions were made with plastic piping inserted throughout the whole fuselage. The gaps were then a build up of scratch plastic and milliput then sanded to the same proportions as the rest of the common fuselage. 

The wings were extended from leading edge to trailing edge by overlapping the top section of the wing against the bottom section of the wing and filling the gaps to regain the original wing edge profile but with an overall 0.4mm extension.

The sharklets were built entirely from scrap plastic which were shaped to meet the new larger wing edge.

The satcom antenna was basically a lump of milliput and one engine exhaust was also a scratch build after losing the original. 

spacer.png

together with Zvezda's dreamliner 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

comparison with another conversion project, braz a340-600

spacer.png

The a350-1000 almost dwarfs the smaller a359. This photo also shows a good comparison of the 1000's 'chunkier' sharklet

spacer.png

spacer.png

This project a whole myriad of obstacles based on very limited information (the wing extension mainly) but once I knew what i was doing this became a very enjoyable and I am pleased with the result considering its just butchered parts of fuselage and wings. 

With zvezda's pending release of the a350-1000 kit and I'm really looking forward to someone taking that on.

This is the work in progress thread

Thanks for looking!

Phil

• Like 27

Hi Phil,

Well done with this conversion it looks fantastic!

Even though I don't like the A350 I do think it looks good in the Virgin Atlantic livery and you've got the red spot on I'd say.

It's quite a Virgin fleet you've got there, are there any left to do?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Very impressive Phil, well done. I've just re-read your WIP thread and it's a real education in itself. The finished result is outstanding and amply justifies your hard work.

The photo alongside the A346 shows what a big beast the A350-1000 is. Unlike Ian I enjoy the A350's odd quirkiness and I feel a Qatar example coming on when the Zvezda kit is released!

Thanks for sharing. Have a round of :clap2:

Dave G

• Like 1

brilliant work there and I really enjoyed your WIP. It looks great - perhaps you could persuade Revell to use yours as a base to cast their own from ! The 1000 variant definitely needs to be released onto the market to save the plastic surgery needed on conversion kits.

The cockpit decal really adds the final touch and top work on your sharklets too

John

• Like 1

That looks just perfect, you'd never know that it has bee converted from the shorter version. Beautiful paint job too.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, Turbofan said:

Hi Phil,

Well done with this conversion it looks fantastic!

Even though I don't like the A350 I do think it looks good in the Virgin Atlantic livery and you've got the red spot on I'd say.

It's quite a Virgin fleet you've got there, are there any left to do?

Cheers,

Ian

thank you ian!

i've got to admit I'm a fan of it in these colours, theres still the 747 out there and both variants of the a330...oh and the a320 on the short lived domestic service!

phil

On 6/26/2019 at 11:22 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice to see this one finished Phil, and thanks for all the hard work. :thumbsup:

You are certainly building up an nice fleet of Virgin Atlantic jets

Looking forward to the Zvezda A350-1000 release! :D

thanks ray! I'm too looking forward to seeing some a350-1000 birds on here, who knows somebody might have another go at a conversion before then

Phil

On 6/26/2019 at 11:50 PM, Skodadriver said:

Very impressive Phil, well done. I've just re-read your WIP thread and it's a real education in itself. The finished result is outstanding and amply justifies your hard work.

The photo alongside the A346 shows what a big beast the A350-1000 is. Unlike Ian I enjoy the A350's odd quirkiness and I feel a Qatar example coming on when the Zvezda kit is released!

Thanks for sharing. Have a round of :clap2:

Dave G

cheers dave, I think its because it just looks odd alongside the more conventional twin jet and it definitely belongs to an era of new generation looking aircraft like the dreamliner and the a220 (if you'll forgive me for calling it that). I also think the large windows always make you think its a lot smaller than it actually is. 

Phil

On 6/27/2019 at 9:55 AM, Gimme Shelter said:

brilliant work there and I really enjoyed your WIP. It looks great - perhaps you could persuade Revell to use yours as a base to cast their own from ! The 1000 variant definitely needs to be released onto the market to save the plastic surgery needed on conversion kits.

The cockpit decal really adds the final touch and top work on your sharklets too

John

thanks john, and cheers for keeping an eye on the WIP. I expected zvezda to release theirs by now (glad i was able to get this done before the release). authetic airliners cockpit and window decals really bring a model to life - definitely the best out there!

phil