Correct red for Folland Gnat Red Arrows 78-79

Torbay

Hello Everyone!

As my first post I want to ask about the red color in the Red Arrows Folland Gnat airplanes.

I know the actual red is Signal Red for the Hawk T.1 and Cherry Red for the former Red arrows, but what is for the 1978-79 years?.

I have the Italeri 2677 for the Hawk and the Airfix A015124 for the Folland Gnat.

Thanks!!

Edited by Torbay

There is the Xtracrylix Red Arrow red but its to light and 'orangey.' though its OK for those hi viz arctic markings on U.S. and other types

I believe for that season it would have been Signal Red - Humbrol 174. Have a look at some photos of that seasons Gnats - if the roundel red is darker (it should be Cherry / Post Office red) then that should confirm it.

Hi

You can not tell ref the roundel the colour as the roundle had the same colour as the airframe they only painted the blue and white not the red.

I would contact The ABDT sig IPMS UK we will help we did a book on them a few years back see link.

http://www.aerobatic-teams.org.uk/red_arrows_book/index.htm 

I do not have my ref books with me just now as at work it would be quicker to contact Gary and he will help you out.

The Red on the Gnats was diffrent to the Hawks and the Xtracrylix Red Arrow red is for the Hawks only.

Paul

Edited by PaulT 876

1 hour ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

You can not tell ref the roundel the colour as the roundle had the same colour as the airframe they only painted the blue and white not the red.

I would contact The ABDT sig IPMS UK we will help we did a book on them a few years back see link.

http://www.aerobatic-teams.org.uk/red_arrows_book/index.htm 

I do not have my ref books with me just now as at work it would be quicker to contact Gary and he will help you out.

The Red on the Gnats was diffrent to the Hawks and the Xtracrylix Red Arrow red is for the Hawks only.

Paul

Great!,

I will contact him.

Thanks

2 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

The Red on the Gnats was diffrent to the Hawks and the Xtracrylix Red Arrow red is for the Hawks only

You mean that the Gnats were never painted Signal Red in their last few seasons or that they were painted a colour that was neither Signal Red nor Post Office Red?

4 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

1 hour ago, Pat C said:

You mean that the Gnats were never painted Signal Red in their last few seasons or that they were painted a colour that was neither Signal Red nor Post Office Red?

As per the book PaulT 876 quotes, all Gnats were Post Office Red BS381C 538 (now called Cherry), all Hawks were (are) Signal Red BS381C 537 (referred to by Xtracolor/xtracrylics as Red Arrows Red.

In both schemes the roundel red is the airframe base colour.

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

all Gnats were Post Office Red

There are certainly plenty of threads on here that maintain that there was a changeover to Signal Red however. I will dig out the Gnat SAM when I get home. 

13 minutes ago, Pat C said:

There are certainly plenty of threads on here that maintain that there was a changeover to Signal Red however. I will dig out the Gnat SAM when I get home. 

http://www.aerobatic-teams.org.uk/red_arrows_book/index.htm doesn't give any change from Post Office Red for the Gnat, and it appears to be a thoroughly researched work.

The SAM special on the Gnat says Signal Red for all of them so I think that can be dispensed with as a source! Maybe people saw faded aircraft and assumed  they had been repainted? I always though it was a strange thing to do to repaint the Gnats in a different shade of red!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did a trawl on the net for this many moons ago and at least four folk from Arc to 72 forum swore that the way forward was Halfords Peugeot Cherry Red and this was what it looked like:

portlevel.JPG&key=9be305ea6462a54cf39fe8

Now I imagine that Chile does not have a local halfords but any decent auto paint store should be able to cheaply make you the required colour via the factory code , either as a touch up pot or aerosol

Solid Cherry Red P3KB

That is if you agree it is the way forward not some heinous crimson abomination...

Anil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 1:52 PM, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

Interestingly the very early Gnats had a fin flash with the red section appearing to be a slighly different shade of red to the rest of the airframe (and thinly outlined). It could be just an ilusion, or it could be a sticker with a subtle different shade, but could the earliest RAs have been Signal rather than Post office Red? This isn't just a one off, other pics show the same effect

1633182-large.jpg

• Like 1