Airfix 1:72 Red Arrows Gnat - Completed

So I was gifted this yesterday by a friend at work

50JniGr.jpg

So naturally I got home and got straight to work (instead of doing housework, that came later) by gluing the wing bottom panels on

YBmHA3u.jpg

Then after housework duties had been completed I got to work on the cockpit

ChkqkDp.jpg

And finished with a couple of coats of primer before bed

bxndmFx.jpg

Looking forward to my second plane build.  Thinking about doing this one gear down instead, however it would look good on a stand in a flight pose.  Not sure yet :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Looking forward to my second plane build.  Thinking about doing this one gear down instead, however it would look good on a stand in a flight pose.  Not sure yet :)

You mean like this?

overhead.JPG

• Like 3

OK, so I finished the cockpit.  I don't think mine is going to look anywhere near as good as @azureglo work, but his build thread did help a little with the colours.  I usually just stick to what it says in the instructions, or the closest approximation I can mix up from my available colours, but I realised this is a starter kit that only came with 4 paints, and the instructions just make use of the 4 colours.  It said to do the interior black, but I noticed on the build thread azureglo posted he said the interior was grey.  So I went with my trusty German grey (which has annoyingly been renamed by Vallejo for some reason on the new bottles, and new German grey is green tinted, so its a good job my local model shop guy knew this.  If I'd ordered online I would have ordered by name, not colour code).

GYzqnwT.jpg

eiQ7QMq.jpg

Next job is to Google the flight suits, as again the instructions just make use of the 4 colours available in the starter set (red obviously, black, white, and silver).

• Like 2

Also, as I'm new to this scale I'm still trying to get used to it looking fine to the naked eye, but then seeing all the imperfections when its photo'd up close and viewed on a 40" monitor :)

Had very little motivation to build for the last week or so due to a cold, but I made a bit more progress last night.  Finally finished the pilots, and then began dry fitting to see what parts, if any, needed filing down.  Also prepped a few parts ready for airbrushing that go inside the fuselage before it is glued up.  Doing this one wheels down, just because my first plane model (P-51D) was wheels up.  Although going forward I think I'll do prop planes wheels down, and jet planes wheels up.  The pilots aren't my neatest work, but they'll do.

6DIb86m.jpg  CFj6lCT.jpg

• Like 4

I have this kit in the stash, very tempted to start it once my workbench is almost cleared. Looks like good progress so far

One little thing that I would suggest with the pilots is just get a flesh tone and paint in the faces, followed by a sepia colour wash/shade. Really simple, but looks great.

• Like 1

• HoolioPaulio changed the title to Airfix 1:72 Red Arrows Gnat - WiP
  • 5 months later...

OK, with the Sci-Fi BG coming to a close, I now have spare time in between the last GB entry to pick this back up.  Pilots are seated, and the cockpit has been painted.

AWVBGUZ.jpg

Then I made a stand, as this one will be in flight.

0JCRwik.jpg

Quick dry fit test on the angle of the stand.  Happy with that :)

dXjRBwS.jpg

• Like 4

Well, the lead (front?) pilot needed some severe body modifications to get his head low enough in the seat, otherwise the canopy would not sit flush to the fuselage.

cLuPjjW.jpg

All good now, can't tell he's an amputee from the outside.

q6dtgcB.jpg

Finally, the canopy was 0.5mm too short, so a plasticard spacer has to fabricated at the back.  Will let it cure fully overnight and then trim and sand smooth and flush tomorrow.

tvtGkhB.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

Great progress and really like your flight stand!

Thanks, they are really tricky to make as I make them out of old CD cases I have lying around.  I have a stack of them from my pre digital music era.  They are quite brittle though, and if you aren't careful you can snap where you don't want to, like I did at the top.  But its only my second stand, and much better than my first one.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ready for primer I think, just need to neaten up the masking on the side of the canopy.  I also updated the stand with a slimmer tidier version, but it needs a new cross member and its not quite tight enough and lets the main arm wobble left to right slightly.

9guJWhD.jpg

OK.  I've discovered that the Humbrol paint that came with this starter kit is horrid to airbrush, even thinned.  Seems to be the general consensus online too.  So I'm now trying to make a Vallejo approximation from the colours I have available, while my nozzle soaks in AB cleaner 😡

Tried to mix a similar red, sprayed it, didn't like it at all, so I just hit it with straight Ferrari Red.  So its not accurate, but I like it.

zU7soJt.jpg

Also hit the exhaust/engine and aerial(?) with aluminium

7LB3sUg.jpg

• Like 1

• HoolioPaulio changed the title to Airfix 1:72 Red Arrows Gnat - Completed