Catalina/Canso - "civil" nose

Artoor_K

Hello,

I want to remodel my 1/48 Catalina into PBY-5A Canso A, this particular plane:

spacer.png

Where I can find side and top plans/drawings for this version? I have 7 or so books about Catalina - I found only two side color images. Any help? I really don't wanna to make is with "estimated by photo" method...

Edited by Artoor_K

the photo didn't work.

You're probably not going to find any drawing that is more than the creator's interpretation of a photo (or "they faired over the turret"), and most of them are pretty straightforward shapes.

27 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

the photo didn't work.

You're probably not going to find any drawing that is more than the creator's interpretation of a photo (or "they faired over the turret"), and most of them are pretty straightforward shapes.

In EVERY book I have I found this description. Well...I have a lot to do.

In 1/72 this kind of nose id provided by Broplan in PBY6 conversion set (AFAIR).

In 1/48 there are also aftermarket sets:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canso-Faired-Nose-Conversion-1-48-scale-Belcher-Bits-BB38-/153503853839?oid=153435079433

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb38.htm

Nice photo apparently not from Krakow - too many Spitfires behind :). Unfortunatelly no that much of them in our "picknic" lat weekend!

Cheers

J-W

Unless the long term owners and operators are completely wrong about the history of their own aeroplane (which I do not categorically discount as a possibility, having not seen their chain of documentation), apparently not: it is a modified Canso A, which is equivalent to a PBV-1A, which is equivalent to a PBY-5a.  It's a Canadian Vickers airframe which lets it off being a 6.

Edited by Work In Progress

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The photo is from Duxford, which suggests to me that the aircraft is actually a converted PBY-6 with the fin reduced in height.

6 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Unless the long term owners and operators are completely wrong about the history of their own aeroplane (which I do not categorically discount as a possibility, having not seen their chain of documentation), apparently not: it is a modified Canso A, which is equivalent to a PBV-1A, which is equivalent to a PBY-5a.  It's a Canadian Vickers airframe which lets it off being a 6.

Edited 5 hours ago by Work In Progress

This is Catalina with registration  G-PBYA from Duxford. Here is full story of her

https://www.catalina.org.uk/our-catalina-g-pbya/

So it is Vickers build PBY-5A (a bit modified during long exploitation) however for sure with typical for most of WWII Catalinas ("normal") fin. Few days ago it was second time on an airshow in Krakow. I made her photos from my garden :) :

Cheers

J-W