After Alclad - coating and weathering

Cellarfrog

Dear All,

I have one various recently models attempted to master Alclad II metallic paints, after I was very generously gifted some bottles.

I would like to pose some questions to the skilled and experienced BM community:

- Q1: when applying decals, weathering, etc after air brushing with Alclad II (Aluminium, for example), what gloss coat works best? I thought I saw online that someone had used Mr color gx100 super clear III, nut when I tried that on a small patch of Alclad, it ate into the metallic finish and made a mess (the Alclad had dried for over a week). I presume that is not the correct gloss coat! Is the glass coat from Alclad the only one to use or does someone have experience with other brands of clear coat over Alclad?

- Q2: My fav. panel line medium is oils and turps. I am afraid this will eat into the Alclad. Does anyone have experience with panel line washes over Alclad metallic paints? I have tried Vallejo model washes, but found it difficult to clean up afterwards (this may be due to lack of a sufficient gloss coat).

- Q3: Decals directly on Alclad? Does this work ok, or is a gloss coat highly recommended prior to decals?

I would very much appreciate any comments and experience people have!

Thanks in advance and enjoy the heat wave!

CF

Can't answer them all, but I use the alclad varnishes over Mr Color and others, as well as over Alclad - they are my go to varnish now.

I use usually tamiya to panel line over Alclad , or oils and a very mild thinner.  

I have had no problem decaling over Alclad - apart from a B-36 where they fell off a few years later.  I tend to use varnish now to protect the decals.

Regards

Tim