Sink the Bismarck! HMS Ark Royal, 26 May 1941

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes, very nice pom poms.

Should you be saying that to a man who's just come out of hospital? 

They are nice though....

Ian

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, giemme said:

And with some paint on :D

There you go again, paint paint paint! 🤣

I have to agree though, it's all a bit rather good.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 complete Pom-Poms (OK, two of them still have rear railings to add, but you get the point).  1 more to build, now.

51028886163_a1c001be52_b.jpg

Also today I received a parcel from New Zealand... yes, more ridiculously beautiful Micro Master work.  In due course this model will have a seaboat (cutter “lifeboat”) on both sides hoisted outboard on its davits, which will make it very prominent, so I want those boats to be as good as possible...

...but while I was buying a pair of Micro Master cutters, a couple of Fast Motor Boats crept up on me from behind and jumped into my basket.  They’re going to be pretty visible, too (that’s my excuse...).  Probably lucky that he hasn’t done an Admiral’s Barge or Seaplane Tender.  Yet.

Anyway, how could I resist this?

51029838652_36f07fba1b_b.jpg 51029838657_4327582194_b.jpg

And compared with what I had before from Shapeways (itself a HUGE improvement on Merit’s awful boats):

51029012998_9114c4ac3c_b.jpg

Another advantage of this is that the chocks are designed to fit.  Even the Tetra chocks have a problem; since Merit’s boats are all basically the same (& wrong) the Tetra designers have done their best to allow you to upgrade them.  It’s a gallant effort, but they still use Merit’s hulls, so the chocks are designed for them.  And thus need a lot of work to make them fit replacement boats that are the correct size & shape.

These chocks fit the hull like a glove:

51029013003_e510a8433d_b.jpg

Happy

More soon

Crisp

• Like 22

56 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...but while I was buying a pair of Micro Master cutters, a couple of Fast Motor Boats crept up on me from behind and jumped into my basket.  They’re going to be pretty visible, too (that’s my excuse...).  Probably lucky that he hasn’t done an Admiral’s Barge or Seaplane Tender.  Yet.

Anyway, how could I resist this?

51029838652_36f07fba1b_b.jpg 51029838657_4327582194_b.jpg

That's your special giant broadsword sized scalpel blade isn't it Crisp ...?

Although they're from a completely different vintage I think the FMB incorporates more detail than yea olde Airfix 1/72nd scale RAF Rescue Launch, E/S Boat and Vosper MTB kits

Good to see you back at the workbench and hope you're well on the road to recovery 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I got my FMBs from MicroMaster yesterday as well (along with Hood turrets, HACSs, Range Finders, UPs, etc...).  They are outrageously good.  I don't currently have a project in mind for them, but I like to have them on hand.  But aside from being amazing looking, they represent many, many hours less work on PE - which means more time building the actual model. 

Actually, looking at my list it seems HMS Hood is my next project...  It's funny, I don't remember the last time I did a ship that only had a grey hull and minimal AA armament.  It should be easy :)

Edited by PolarisPrime
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And compared with what I had before from Shapeways (itself a HUGE improvement on Merit’s awful boats):

Amazing! Incredible how much detail is crammed into such a small object :gobsmacked:

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am indeed fine; thanks for asking.  Still very little stamina & sleeping a lot (even for a WAFU), but on the mend.  Ark untouched since the incident, but thus will not remain the case for long.

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

Crisp,

I know that this is not your Ark, but I thought you might like this:

What sane person could fail to like that.

Martian the Sane 👽

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

I have to agree. Sheer beauty!

Some how I now have Rod Stewart singing we are sailing in my head cheers for that.  :facepalm:

beefy

• Haha 3

On 4/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, RAF4EVER said:

Crisp,

I know that this is not your Ark, but I thought you might like this:

Yum!  Thanks.

I’m still here; still recuperating, with my minimal modelling time taken up with the P-38F.  But I’ll be back...

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, dickrd said:

Only one of the 17 suppliers of Admiralty quality anti-fouling paints supplied in green so it is the least likely colour. In the absence of D495 info I would default to red given where and when Ark Royal was built.

Well, we now know the answer. Ark Royal was a Moravia ship for her ship's bottom paints, both for the protective and for the all-important outermost anti-fouling coatings. Moravia's anti-fouling only came in grey or black. In the in-service dry dock and sinking photos of Ark Royal the bottom is clearly lighter than the (black) boot topping.

The D495s report on her bottom treatments with Moravia as follows:

Jan 1937- protective applied

April 1937 - launched in this with no anti-fouling coat

April/May 1938 - docked and re-coated in protective and anti-fouling

June 1938 - docked and touched up

November 1938 - docked and touched up

July 1939 - docked, protective touched up, anti-fouling re-coated

February 1940 - docked, full re-treatment with two coats of protective and one coat of anti-fouling.

On this D495 the colour of the anti-fouling was actually recorded as “Moravia Grey” so there is no ambiguity on this question

October 1940 - docked, full re-treatment with two coats of protective and two coats of anti-fouling

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 6

Excellent.  Though you could have waited u til after I’d carefully painted and weathered a dozen layers of distressed red...

Do we have any idea roughly what colour / shade “Moravia Grey” was? 

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Excellent.  Though you could have waited u til after I’d carefully painted and weathered a dozen layers of distressed red...

Do we have any idea roughly what colour / shade “Moravia Grey” was? 

I very much hoped you had not got to that stage! 

Given what we see on the various builders models with grey bottoms, and the odd contemporary colour image, I suspect that all the makers' grey anti fouling paints were a neutral grey, ie without the blue tint of Home Fleet grey.

Given what we see on the various builders models with grey bottoms, and the odd contemporary colour image, I suspect that the tones varied a bit between makers.

I think that you are going to have to form a judgment based on the relative tone of the Home Fleet grey above the boot topping v the tone of the bottom seen in the photos where the bottom shows. Ignore the tone seen in the launching photos where she had no anti-fouling, just the protective which Moravia supplied only in red at that time.  

I currently know of one other ship that certainly had Moravia grey anti-fouling at this sort of time: HMS Amphion/HMAS Perth 1935-1939. Again she was launched with no anti-fouling, just Moravia protective in red, so ignore her launching photos also. If anyone can find any photos of her in drydock 1935-1939 they might provide another pointer as to the tone of Moravia grey.  (From 1940 onwards her anti-fouling remained grey but was from the Australian paint manufacturer Majors.)

Edited by dickrd